Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

German Ride Again movie

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

German Ride Again movie

Postby bob » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:54 pm

I recently received an email from our latest member “Michinator” who is based in Germany.

It seems the German version of “Ride Again” is 15 minutes shorter than the UK version. He is currently adding German subtitles to the English movie. (clever chap!!)

He informs me there are 8 extracts where his English is insufficient to make the translation and is looking for some help. I feel certain one of the extracts will be where Harold asks Dad “Did I bring a bag home with me last night” to which Albert replies “Oh Gawd, not a bird as well”!!!. I would also guess that the other was the expletive used to describe Hercules the Greyhound after his first trial race.

Anyway I have been sent links to a download site where the relevant extracts have been posted. I managed to download the file but it is in a .rar format and I haven’t got a clue what to do with it.

Is any body able to help either by downloading the file and doing the translation or explaining the mysteries of .rar files

The files are posted at: http://rapidshare.de/files/22691142/steptoe.rar.html
bob
Site Admin

Re: German Ride Again movie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:48 pm

bob wrote:I would also guess that the other was the expletive used to describe Hercules the Greyhound after his first trial race.

Sorry to revive what appears to be the first post in this category (2006!) but I'd not noticed it before and reading Bob's comment I spat my tea laughing. Another keyboard ruined, argh lolol.
I don't speak German so any attempts at grammar, let alone pronunciation, are bound to be a disaster. But I've got a sizable 3 volume 5 language dictionary and try as I might...I can't seem to locate that particular expletive. The closest translation I'm aware of might be found in Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein", the scene on the train to Transylvania: a mother moaning to her husband about their son, "He's been at it again!"
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Ahh Young Frankenstein. An absolute classic.
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:28 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Ahh Young Frankenstein. An absolute classic.

Have you seen Mel Brooks' "The Producers"? The 1968 original film starring Zero Mostel, sporting the least convincing comb over in history lol. Some bits haven't aged well (who amongst us has?) but it's hilarious!! A favorite bit from The Producers...the building "concierge" unable to contain her disdain for a tenant: "He used to be able to sit out on the stoop like a person."
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:07 pm

Another comedy classic DOY, my favourite scene is in the lift Wilder says to Mostel "He's wearing a dress" & Oh witch of the west :)

The guy who plays Hitler was the Beatnik son in Mad World :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Everybody slags off Wilder's films with Richard Pryor but I love them

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:16 am

Archie wrote:Another comedy classic DOY, my favourite scene is in the lift Wilder says to Mostel "He's wearing a dress" & Oh witch of the west :)

The scary bit is a lot of the characters in the film, more than you'd think, are not over the top caricatures. Max Bialystock, Zero Mostel's character, was based on an actual producer Brooks worked for when he was a teenager.
Archie wrote:The guy who plays Hitler was the Beatnik son in Mad World :o

Dick Shawn :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Great name lol

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
bob wrote:I would also guess that the other was the expletive used to describe Hercules the Greyhound after his first trial race.

Sorry to revive what appears to be the first post in this category (2006!) but I'd not noticed it before and reading Bob's comment I spat my tea laughing. Another keyboard ruined, argh lolol.
I don't speak German so any attempts at grammar, let alone pronunciation, are bound to be a disaster. But I've got a sizable 3 volume 5 language dictionary and try as I might...I can't seem to locate that particular expletive. The closest translation I'm aware of might be found in Gene Wilder and Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein", the scene on the train to Transylvania: a mother moaning to her husband about their son, "He's been at it again!"

Mel Brooks is a comedy Genius. I love also Gene " Willy Wonker" Wilder who I also love in all the double act movies starring is friend the late great Richard Pryor with the best being the classic 1980 Stir Crazy film. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:35 pm

If you're fond of Mel Brooks' work check out "My Favorite Year" (1982), many of the characters were based on real people. Peter O'Toole plays a role based on a famous swashbuckling actor (a fella that nearly cut Christopher Lee's finger off, one of many incredibly funny bits from Lee's autobiography) and the young lead was based on Brooks himself. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it, outstanding movie. Tame, but guaranteed fun :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:40 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:If you're fond of Mel Brooks' work check out "My Favorite Year" (1982), many of the characters were based on real people. Peter O'Toole plays a role based on a famous swashbuckling actor (a fella that nearly cut Christopher Lee's finger off, one of many incredibly funny bits from Lee's autobiography) and the young lead was based on Brooks himself. Highly recommended if you haven't seen it, outstanding movie. Tame, but guaranteed fun :)

Oh, cool thanks. :P That's one that's bipassed me somehow? :shock: Yeah, I'm a big Mel fan and loved his History of the world Movies and his film featuring the late/Great Leslie Nielsen in Dracula Dead and loving it and of course the Fartastic Blazing Sadles flick that as a kid made me want to eat beans and fart a lot. :D
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:42 am

Far too many funny bits from "My Favorite Year" to mention but a few favorites come to mind.
O' Toole's character has an affair with the bottle to put it mildly and after a few too many he attempts to abseil from the top of a skyscraper tied to a fire hose, presaging Bruce Willis/Die Hard. The film is set in the mid 1950's, the era of live telly. At the eleventh hour, when Alan Swann (O' Toole) realizes the comedy sketches he's been rehearsing for a week and is about to perform will be broadcast live to 20 million people, he has a total melt down/anxiety attack, "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!!" :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 pm

lol just picturing it makes me laugh

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Back on topic, I think I've found the German translation of that 'expletive' from the second movie, though I'll not post it here, nosiree lol. Found it in a slim volume, an international dictionary of obscenities. Hilarious book, great fun to explore the absurdity of trying to translate insults literally, errors abound in unimaginable ways. Example, give someone a V this side of the pond and they think it's a peace sign, "Oh look honey, the kid we nearly killed with our Cadillac says 'peace', isn't that sweet?" :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 pm

I think I've found the German translation of that 'expletive' from the second movie

Oh go on post it.

As it is german it won't be filtered out by the "naughty word checker".

We all know what it is a translation of, and those who don't can't be offended.
bob
Site Admin

Next

Return to What do you want ?