Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Merchandise

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Merchandise

Postby thatsthatthen » Tue May 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Okay, so apart from the DVDs which I am sure everyone here has, how do you rate the other merchandise?

Is the hardback book - the Galton & Simpson one that seems to sell for ridiculously high prices on ebay - worth a look?

What about the book The Best of Steptoe and Son?

...and the fan magazine the Totting Times?

The trading cards?

Do other forum members have these items and if so are they worth getting? Would appreciate some earnest feedback to help me decide whether they are worth tracking down.

Are there other things I should look out for?

Thanks.
thatsthatthen

Postby bob » Wed May 07, 2008 3:58 am

Dear TTT

I think the merchandise is a mixed bag.

The G&S book is (in my view) OK nothing more. It was useful as a reference book, but having read it I didn’t get much more information than was already available in the public domain.

I would have loved a few more anecdotes from Ray and Alan, and I would have loved to have got a greater sense of what it was like filming the series etc.

For me more of a reference book than a good read. I’ve only read it once.

Wilfred’s book (really expensive) is very disappointing, if you are looking for lots of Steptoe references. It does however give you a good overview of his career.

Most of the caricatures etc are rubbish, mass printed via a PC. I found one limited addition print not seen much on ebay, but the guy who posted it didn’t pack it well and so it has a tear in it !!!! And there is the good limited edition which I think is sold out, which you may have noticed I feature on this website.

Cards, mugs etc beware, these are mainly poor quality home made items. I notice some of these items feature an image that was only available from my site. I wonder where they got it ?

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby thatsthatthen » Wed May 07, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks Bob

Gosh I remember seeing Wilfrid's autobiography in our public library when I was a kid and my friend telling me her Dad had read it. Bet it got sold years later in one of their crazy sales for 30p.

I bought myself a book of 12 scripts which I won on ebay for £2 - it's brand new condition and will be fun to read. The scripts themselves seem really short, a ten minute read. This interests me since the episodes (especially the early ones) are so dialogue heavy I would have expected them to be longer.

How do you rate films H made?

Ladies Who Do was hard going (it took me two sittings). Peggy Mount is not an endearing soul is she ... a true 'Dragon' in the making! Interestingly I don't remember seeing the "chop chop" scene they used in The Curse and his name's James Ryder not Ray (or Raymond).

I did like the Magnificent 7 Deadly Sins although I know it wasn't great. Each sin was mercifully short enough not to get on your nerves though. Gosh you can totally see why Bruce Forsyth didn't cut it in the movies.

From the excerpt of The Bargee on YouTube it looks promising though of course not available on DVD.

Rattle of a Simple Man?
Joey Boy?
Anyone even heard of these let alone seen them?

I think the very fact that these titles are mostly unavailable speaks volumes. I shall continue to scour the charity shop shelves on the off chance of uncovering one of these.

What a wasted talent.
thatsthatthen

Postby thatsthatthen » Thu May 08, 2008 6:15 pm

So last night I started reading the scripts. It was interesting playing the footage in my head and matching the dialogue (I'm not yet at the stage when I can recite tham all "off book". Not yet.)

Then I read the introduction by Galton and Simpson.

It is wonderful and so affectionate...

They speak of casting H:

"He was as influential in his sphere as Orson Welles had been with the Mercury Theatre company in America....Other actors would rush to a TV set whenever Harry was on and would gather and analyse the perfomrance afterwards ... He was then a leading exponent of the Method School of acting, the English Marlon Brando. Now he is only remembered as Harold Steptoe, but it should never be forgotten what a remarkable influence he was on the acting profession all those years ago."

of W:
"Wilfrid Brambell was a natural choice for the older man. Although only fifty at the time he specialized in old men. ... In real life a dapper man, exquisitely dressed and beautifully spoken. The complete entithesis of his screen persona as Albert Steptoe...."

and overall:
"It is interesting that two of the most successful Cockney characters were played by a Dubliner and a Mancunian."

Is it reproduced on the forum/site anywhere? If not it should. It's only 3 pages out of 176 so wouldn't breach copyright... I'd be happy to type it up.
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby bob » Thu May 08, 2008 7:01 pm

Dear TTT

How can I say no to such a generous offer.

Please let me have the intro and I will create a page for it.

If you want to see how posh Willy really was take a look at the variety club awards 1962 on you tube.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby thatsthatthen » Fri May 09, 2008 10:25 pm

Bob

Typing is complete.
It's a canny intro (woops! in Likely Lads mode tonight!).

What format do you prefer?

I thought simple raw *.txt with a wee bit of html tagging would be best, but if not let me know.

Cheers
TTT
thatsthatthen

Postby charlie » Sat May 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi TT, you mentioned The Bargee in your post,personally i think it's very good.with Ronnie Barker & Eric Sykes aswell as Harry who could ask for more.?I have a copy on vhs but like you have'nt seen a dvd yet.I managed to get a poster ,it seems genuine it was from a reputable site anyway.It's my pride and joy.On my want list are the two jigsaws and Wilfreds Book but got more chance of finding Rocking horse doo doo....!
charlie

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat May 10, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi Charlie

Thanks for that re. The Bargee.
It does look good from the clip on YouTube.
Don't suppose you've thought about transferring your video to digital and perhaps ... eh ... eh ... sharing it?

Oh gawd! I didn't know there were jigsaws too! What are the pictures on them? Do you have any links? Tried ebay but no luck. Tried googling it but again nothing. :cry:
thatsthatthen

Postby bob » Sun May 11, 2008 10:11 am

Dear TTT

Many thanks I will take it in any format you prefer.

Can you send it to infi@albertandharold.co.uk

Regards

Bob
bob
Site Admin

merchandise

Postby harold » Mon May 12, 2008 7:36 pm

I AGREE WITH BOB THE STEPTOE AND SON BOOK IS ONLY A REFERENCE BOOK, WILFS BOOK I HAVE ALSO READ AND IN IT HE SAYS AT THAT TIME NO AMERICAN HAD SEEN STEPTOE AND SON BUT THIS AMERICAN HAS SEEN IT AND LOVES IT AS FOR THE DVDS I AM FINALLY GOING TO GET THE BOXSET WHEN I GET ME TAX CHECK THANX TO ALL
harold

Postby bob » Mon May 12, 2008 8:33 pm

Hi Harold

What great news, never has a tax cheque been so enjoyable.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Rian » Tue May 13, 2008 7:19 am

:D im really pleased you will be getting it soon Harold
Rian

merchandise

Postby harold » Tue May 13, 2008 6:37 pm

thanx bob and rian i agree the dvds will be most enjoyable makes the cheque worthwhile
harold

Postby Rian » Wed May 14, 2008 2:46 pm

toatally,have you seen all the steptoe episodes ?
Rian

Postby Archie » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm

A few years ago the old 'Appreciation Society' kindly sent me some free copies of 'The Rag & Bone' magazine.
It's well worth a read :) if you can get hold of any copies.

I like The Bargee I also have the video tape.
Another good movie is Crooks In Cloisters with Wilf playing the boatman.
Archie

Next

Return to What do you want ?