Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Help with PC.

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Help with PC.

Postby charlie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi guys ,i know this is not steptoe related but got trouble with my pc.I can't open any applications from my desktop or start menu.Everytime i reboot something else is missing from my task bar.It also doesn't shut down properly, just locks up.I managed to get on here by accident from a reboot disk.....I can't here hardrive working.I fear the worst.......any help would be appreciated..thx.
My Muvver was a school teacher....!
charlie

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi Charlie

Do you remember what caused the problem in the first place? It sounds like your installation has been corrupted somehow. This is often done by the computer not being turned off properly - when a program crashes it's so tempting to switch it off at the power....

If you can run new programs, try using a registry mechanic. Files get moved about by different programs and the pc running slowly is often a sign. These programs can fix that.

THE BEST OPTION may be this... but if you're not too good with computers it might be worth getting a professional to do it... :

Obviously you don't want to uninstall your operating system as you will lose your files. But with XP you can load another version to run alongside, so you will have 2 versions of XP (I did this myself to recover a damaged laptop), one which will be the old corrup version and a new one which works. Then, you can access files from the old version through the new one (microsoft.com has the instructions for this). You can then transfer everything to the second version, then one that is running like it used to, just uninstall the damaged one. It's complicated but it works!!

That will only work if it is a boot / software problem... you might have a dmaged hard disk.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert but I do have a little experience. I'm sure there's others with better advice... Just trying to help out...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 pm

clever little bleeder
bob
Site Admin

Postby charlie » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:59 pm

Thanks for replying Phil, someone said if the fan has stopped working it could be overheating the memory or processer,but i've started it up tonight and it's working fine.the last thing i did on Monday was to restore back to last week and it seems to have done the trick.I've also scanned it and found two viruses so that could have been the problem...I'll bear it in mind what you said but let's hope it doesn't come to that...........Many thanks
My Muvver was a school teacher....!
charlie

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:01 pm

It's just something I picked up after ruining several computers of my own.. computers hate me, they don't do as they are told. They were designed to make life easier, lol grr stupid Bill Gates...

You need to have your hard drive partitioned for my suggestion to work, I forgot to mention. Uusually a restore does work and yes if the fan has stopped it can over heat. Perhaps we should all go back to the pre-computer days. People did alright without them apparently (not that I would know, I'm a child of the 80's!).

Anyhow, glad to hear you're alright now!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to What do you want ?