Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

All Regions DVD Players

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

All Regions DVD Players

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Greetings all. I've only recently discovered Steptoe and Son (via the films) and now find myself (not surprisingly) a huge fan. That the BBC Complete Series DVD set isn't available region 1 (US) is not news to anyone. So it seems I must purchase an all areas/regions player. Has anyone got any suggestions/recommendations re: players? Any particular units that merit mention? I don't have a modern flat screen telly so the player must be able to accommodate coaxial at least. Very grateful for this site/forum and any replies, best wishes all round. :D
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 am

Welcome dirty old Yank

I'm sure our transatlantic colleague Harold will be able to make a recomendation
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Mon May 10, 2010 4:19 pm

There is another way - but with caution...

Dont forget - R2 dvd's are in PAL format - whereas UK players can play NTSC (american format) as this is 30 frames per second, some US players cant play PAL, as this is only 25 frames per second and the played can not compensate for it... check that your TV and player can play PAL first or you will end up buying a player that wont play them properly, I have several american contacts who have had trouble playing PAL dvd's.

I unlocked a region 2 player - every player is made the same, and they encode it so that it plays a particular region.

www.videohelp.com is all about video editing, transfer etc and I got a very reliale code from there that you type in to your remote and it unlocks the player.

But, only do this if you are confident with it. It worked for me but they can not be responsible for any damage, neither can I, i'm just recommending a site that worked for me.

NEVER follow any instructions which tell you to open up your player or anything!!

This simple gave a little admin code to put into the remote and it unlocked it. Some work, some might not. Just thought I'd point it out. It's not illegal to crack the region code, not in the UK anyway.

The other way would be to buy the R2 set and make yourself some personal back up copies and remove the region code that way, depending what software you use..

Just a thought.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue May 11, 2010 11:12 am

Don't forget you can change the region of the DVD player on any PC.

You are allowed to change it 5 times, but if like me you have more than one PC, why not permanently change one to UK Region 2.

Just google "change pc dvd region" and you will get lots of advice
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 11, 2010 6:13 pm

Cheers both for your helpful hints, will give it a go.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

".....check that your TV and player can play PAL first...."
Alright, the player is given. But the telly as well?
Bit of a novice, so I'm confoozed. Are you speaking of the wiring out back, the connections......or will old school telly's not be able to handle the data?
And by old school I mean one of those huge "modern" beasts, 200lb, a Curtis Mathes, coaxial connect intact, stereo plugs trashed. Can re-route, but will them big cathode ray telly's be unable to display PAL? Ta again
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:".....check that your TV and player can play PAL first...."
Alright, the player is given. But the telly as well?
Bit of a novice, so I'm confoozed. Are you speaking of the wiring out back, the connections......or will old school telly's not be able to handle the data?
And by old school I mean one of those huge "modern" beasts, 200lb, a Curtis Mathes, coaxial connect intact, stereo plugs trashed. Can re-route, but will them big cathode ray telly's be unable to display PAL? Ta again

Actually, most TV's are fine, I was just giving you some caution. Some very old tv's will not, but if it's not prehistoric you will be okay. But you do need to check the played. I've never understood the point of NTSC / PAL, why can't it all just be the same??

Bob's idea of changing your DVD drive if you have a couple will be the best, or perhaps buy an external DVD drive so you have a spare. Just a thought.
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 12, 2010 9:05 pm

"Most TV's are fine". OK, that's very helpful and essential. But the "prehistoric" comment put me off a bit, wot you tryin to say? AW j/k. As to NTSC/PAL, true enough. Not satisfied with the profits they already got etc. And Bob's hints were helpful as well, though being a techno-twit, I dunno what he's on about. Checked the site he recommended and it may as well have been in Sanscrit. Do this, hack what? I dunno. Point being, thank you both very much, well on the way, looking forward to seeing the telly series tremendously. Cheers :D
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 pm

No offence waas meant y the prehistoric comment - I myself use an old 4:3 cathode ray tv and refuse to upgrade to an LCD as the picture on the old one is far better. The comment was meant as a light hearted jest!! I was really thinking of pre-scart tv's.

A friend of mine sells TV's and tries to get me to upgrade. He constantly has people being angry at the lousy picture quality on their high definition telly. They don't realise that you have to view specific HD channels, and that actual digital pictures when viewed upclose look worse on LCD. It's all media hype I guess.

As most stuff I watch is old and in 4:3 format, I don't need a widescreen. It is 15 years old and still as good as the day it was bought. They don't make 'em like that any more!!

Joking aside, I hope it has all been helpful!
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 pm

"No offence"? None taken! I was just kidding. And you're quite right about so called "upgrades". Planned obsolescence and little more. An industry wide effort to insure consumers must replace repeatedly by reducing manufacturing standards/quality and dazzle em with advertisements boasting the "newest and best". Oh well, long as I can watch the series I won't complain......much. heh :D
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Fri May 14, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Fri May 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Oddly enough the cheaper end DVD players seem to be multiregion. I bought a 'Compacks' from amazon a few years ago and I recently bought a compact multiregion player from Asda supermarket for £17.

Watching American region 1 movies The picture is fine on my Philips 44" flatscreen TV.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sat May 15, 2010 3:44 pm

That's often the case - the cheaper ones are better.

I spent ages trying to find one that plays CD+G discs, thought it would be the expensive ones but none of them did... bought one for twenty quid and it plays them a treat!!

Wonder why that is?
PhilGlass

all regions dvd players

Postby harold » Sun May 16, 2010 10:06 pm

welcome dirty old yank good to see a fellow american fan of steptoe and son join the forum i recently purchased a apex ad-1145 at a flea market and i looked it up on the web and its specafacations say color system pal/ntsc and a comment on the videohelp page about this player says it plays pal discs extremely well good luck and also try to get the boxset from amazon uk it is a good price and also if you purchase through the link on this forum it helps the forum hope i was not long winded again you are most welcome
harold

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu May 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Cheers Harold. Shame innit, that more yanks don't know about Steptoe, hey ho. Coincidentally, I've been round the local electronics shops, and Apex was mentioned specifically by one bloke. Will keep it in mind, thanks.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm

edited post appears below, still haven't sorted how to work this.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Next

Return to What do you want ?