Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

All Regions DVD Players

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:01 pm

To my great embarrassment I only recently discovered this computer will play region 2 discs. Duh! :roll:
At least I found out in a good way, via Bill Bailey's Part Troll.
Absolutely brilliant that gent, he's been talking about a US tour later this year, sure hope so.
Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply.
Anyway, I'm expecting the complete Steptoe soon, very excited.
Only wish I'd remembered to request it through this site.
Sorry bout that :oops:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm

No problems about ordering through the site, not sure i get credit for US sales in any case. Enjoy the box set.

If you like Bill Bailey he plays a very good hang man in the movie Burke and Hare
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Like Bill Bailey? who wouldn't?
But don't mention Burke and Hare, here it is...what, 6 months later?
It still hasn't been released over here. Arguments over distribution rights no doubt. Never mind, will get the disc from UK.
So BB plays the executioner?
send em off with a laff anyway.
Dirty Old Yank

all regions dvd players

Postby harold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 pm

the apex i had did not work got a zenith instead dirty old yank hope you get yer boxset soon it is a good one
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Re: All Regions DVD Players

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:47 pm

I had the same eureka moment when I discovered my PC could play region 1 DVDs until I permanently switched codes by accident and I couldn't play region 2 Europe anymore. So beware. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Are you certain you've locked your region? After one go? Do try again, you should be permitted at least 4 opportunities. Unless of course widely touted "new and improved" software "updates" prohibit it, wouldn't be a surprise. They're designed to do that, planned obsolescence. If it's region 1 discs you're after be sure to shop around, prices are boosted right through the roof for the yank market. If you're a horror fan (oh here I go, waffling again :roll:) you can watch weekend yank telly live. Lots of horror hosts (an old school yank tradition) broadcast online: infrequently rehearsed crazy people hopping about fog filled dungeons telling terrible puns. It's a lot more fun than it sounds! Gotta be better than the corporate fare we're offered these days, ugh. You might enjoy:
Penny Dreadful (Elvira's heir apparent :shock: :shock: )
The Bone Jangler
Count Gore De Vol
Monster Madhouse
lots more :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:41 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Are you certain you've locked your region? After one go? Do try again, you should be permitted at least 4 opportunities. Unless of course widely touted "new and improved" software "updates" prohibit it, wouldn't be a surprise. They're designed to do that, planned obsolescence. If it's region 1 discs you're after be sure to shop around, prices are boosted right through the roof for the yank market. If you're a horror fan (oh here I go, waffling again :roll:) you can watch weekend yank telly live. Lots of horror hosts (an old school yank tradition) broadcast online: infrequently rehearsed crazy people hopping about fog filled dungeons telling terrible puns. It's a lot more fun than it sounds! Gotta be better than the corporate fare we're offered these days, ugh. You might enjoy:
Penny Dreadful (Elvira's heir apparent :shock: :shock: )
The Bone Jangler
Count Gore De Vol
Monster Madhouse
lots more :)

Yeah, Whatever I'd done to it changed it, and you're right it did prompt me four times but I wasn't aware it would be long term until I tried to play some R2 DVD's just bought and they were rejected? It doesn't really matter now if I knew how to change it back as two week later it went up in smoke and the main board went AWOL. :shock: So I bought a cheap unlocked R1/2 DVD player from eBay on a friends computer ( Should have done this in the first place :roll: ) and took several months to save for a second hand PC which I'm using now. Lesson learned being one should not play with expensive goods and as the old saying goes curiosity killed the cat. Or in my case PC. :wink:

(P/S) I watch a lot of old & new US Horror movies on my Polaroid Tablet. Some are really good some are really cheesy. I love your classic B movies such as Them, Invaders from Mars, Invaders of the Body snatchers, This Island Earth. Boy, you Americans don't half make some cool movies. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:52 pm

B movies? Compared to the dreck we're spoon fed these days they're masterpieces! Them (giant ants), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (sudsy replicants), The Thing From Another World (humanoid vampire turnips), they're all so much fun and often retain their ability to disturb despite hilarious low-fi effects and the stench of Brylcreem. It Came From Outer Space (3D therimin wielding disembodied eyes), Attack of the Giant Leeches (blokes wrapped in bin liners with inflatable rings stuck to their heads), list goes on and on. Some favorite British productions include Hammer's Dracula and Hound of the Baskervilles, The Innocents, City of the Dead, The Legend of Hell House, The Flesh and the Fiends, crikey way too many to list :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 am

Get a second DVD drive for your computer and use that to play movies from a different region.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:51 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Get a second DVD drive for your computer and use that to play movies from a different region.

Another important thing is don't change too often the PC region. I done it one too many times from R2 to R1 and it remained R1 until I had to restore PC. Not worth the hassle. Just buy a multi-region DVD player off eBay. :roll:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:03 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Ivor Biggun wrote:Get a second DVD drive for your computer and use that to play movies from a different region.

Another important thing is don't change too often the PC region. I done it one too many times from R2 to R1 and it remained R1 until I had to restore PC. Not worth the hassle. Just buy a multi-region DVD player off eBay. :roll:

Isn't it the firmware in the DVD player itself that controls which region discs it will play? If your first DVD player is locked to region 1, then that should have no bearing on what region your second DVD player can play.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 am

Isn't it the firmware in the DVD player itself that controls which region discs it will play?

Yes. All players have the function/ability to alter their regional code, be it PC drive or DVD player. This issue is restoration. I in the early 2000s bought the first gen Panasonic DVD recorders, wanted it to play all regions, so bought codes of the net. With a DVD player, yes it can be returned to it's original state, although some are temperamental. The amount of procedures, pressing buttons in a certain pattern was a nightmare. So easy just to go on eBay and buy one now already changed. Wish I knew then what I know now. :roll:

Ilovesteptoe

Previous

Return to What do you want ?