Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Classified...

Please let us know if there are any other discussion categories you want included on this forum, or is there something else you would like to see included on this website ?

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Classified...

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:55 pm

How about a section where registered members can sell / trade / swap their Steptoe stuff if they want to, or other comedy stuff etc...

Obviously this is open to non-nice people, so perhaps only members with a certain number of (relevant) posts can see it? I know it's possible to keep a section hidden to some... maybe members have to apply to access it, just to stop the rogues and the con men (this is the internet after all).

But for the rest of us it might be a good idea... (I am due a good idea, it's been a long time...)
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Classified...

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:49 am

100% agree with you Phil. Fantastic idea
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Sounds a cool Idea Phil. In my past trips to my local booty I'm always coming across the odd doubler of Mag featuring Steptoe & Son on the cover or the odd record which I have already in my collection ect... so if anybody say wanted to swap instead of buying ( Not saying that would be out of the question :wink: ) for something I've got that they haven't and visa versa that would be dandy. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Archie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Hmm cautiously it sounds like a good idea provided any payment was made via Paypal. I've been trying to get a movie poster for years but keep on being out bid on E Bay probably by people who aren't even fans :twisted:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

When r we gonna get this up and running then chaps? We can come up with basic rules between us I'm sure

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:42 pm

harryfaversham wrote:When r we gonna get this up and running then chaps? We can come up with basic rules between us I'm sure

Can I be the forum's Treasurer? :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Basic rules are simple.. dont rip anyone off, ie, what you have is probably worth a fraction of what you think... Steptoe was popular, so sold in its millions, therefore lots of everything was sold. Let me give an analagy...

You see a book in a book shop for £50. You go to the shop next door and they have it for a fiver. Is it worth £50? No. Because you buy the fiver one... the £50 one remains on a shelf gathering dust.. you would have happily bought the £50 one anyway if it was worth 50...

On the other hand.. you see the book for £50... you decide not to buy it... you never see another again... was it worth £50... probably, and probably more.. because you would pay that as the only chance to own it... so anything is only worth what anyone will pay. Price guides are worth whatever the publishers ripped you off for them...

The society is not responsible for any adverts placed hereSo its worth nothing. Thats the legal bit out of the way. We simply offer a forum for people to post adverts, we do not condone nor deny any views posted herein.

If you have something for sale, post it here, but please consider the following common sense internet rules...

DONT send cash... There will be many drains on your street, put your money down one of those instead. If someone will still take a cheque (banks still take them so no reason why someone shouldnt) then send a cheque or postal order to a named person. This payment can be traced, paypal is not as secure as people think.

DO NOT assume all sellers are con artists... in fact, more buyers pull cons than sellers. DO NOT send items out to people until payment has cleared.

BE HONEST in describing an item... NOTHING that has not been made ten minutes ago is mint condition, sorry. Nobody minds an old item having its defects, in fact, it can often add to the beauty. Someone will still want something knowing it is in bad condition. Be as honest as you can - it's the decent thing to do.

IF IN DOUBT of the authenticity, don't buy... ask around... but also do not cast aspursions on people. Only offer what you think the item is worth.

BE CONFIDENT OF THE SELLER... Without casting aspursions, someone who has joined the site and not posted is more likely to have an alterior motive than an established member of the site who risks their reputation. This does not mean all new members are dishonest, not in the slightest, just take caution.

ASK QUESTIONS... Where did you obtain this item? What did you pay for it? (Most dealers worth a damn will answer this, there is nothing wrong with a profit), WHY are you selling it if it is such a wonderful collectable and you are such a devoted collector?

POSTAGE AND PACKAGING... Postage costs are high these days... but be reasonable.. it is common now on auction sites for people to list an item for 1p only to ask £5.00 postage as they want a fiver for the item... but it is hard for a seller to know th exact cost... discuss it between you, explore your options.

Basically, if it is too good to be true, it is, but that goes both ways. Be reasonable.

The internet is a fantastic place for buying and selling and trading / swapping. All I'm saying is, whether buying or selling, use common sense and be careful... and enjoy yourself...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Following Phil's excellent advice perhaps with Bob's permission we could start a 'Sticky' Classified thread, with a for sale and wanted section :?:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Maybe make it password protected to weed out potential scammers?

harryfaversham

Postby bob » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi guys

All of this can be done. I just need a bit more time or some help. I can give the moderators permissions to give other memebers access to restricted parts of the site. This is what Phil is planning to do with the appreciation section.

As always with this, the mind is willing, the clock has other ideas !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby harryfaversham » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:39 pm

I'll volunteer!!!

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm

If anything is to be traded or sold a good Idea would be to send items recorded post and any money transactions should be made with cheque or pay pal that can shown as a record of the transaction for peace of mind and anything sold or traded must be Okayed with Forum Moderators. The most important thing is that will make all the above secondary is being honest, trustworthy and to treat others as you would yourself and sell or trade good as you would selling on eBay with each transaction the particular member should have a rating of service once transaction is completed by feedback left as a post confirmation with Smile face as good or bad service. :)

Example of possible trade or sale:

Good example:

Ilovesteptoe: For sale Steptoe DVD boxset £20. Sold to member Archie for £20 plus P&P. Used cheque payment sent on confirmation that he received the box-set from Ilovesteptoe and notified site of transaction.

Post: Archie. Received box-set, as described and very happy. Wonderful member, could kiss the little fella. :P

Bad example of trade or sale:

Ilovesteptoe: For sale mint Steptoe DVD box-set. Bought by Archie on good faith, paid by sending £20 in post without evidence of payment. Recieved DVD box-set which was in reality bootleg taped from TV with adverts on in makeshift box-set) :twisted:

Archie: Received box-set from Ilovesteptoe but was a bootleg. Don't trust this git. Banned from forum and barred from selling or trading. :evil:

Ilovesteptoe

Return to What do you want ?