Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Why the big interest ?

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Why the big interest ?

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Just checked out the Dickies, and you're right, very cool indeed. Like all quality bands the Dickies are still hanging firm and still pumping it put to the fans big time. Hope whenever they do that sequel mention they might add some music to the soundtrack as a little nostalgic salute to the past. 8)
Here their music video from the movien that I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGVX033PiDA

Hang on, did you just describe punk as "nostalgic"? "the past"? (shocked gasps from the gallery) :wink:.
If you enjoy The Dickies and prefer DVD’s to youtube (as I do) be sure to look for “The Best Of Flipside Video Vol 1”. Filmed in the 1980’s, full live sets by 4 bands including The Dickies, The Weirdos and an incredible, scathingly tight set by The Circle Jerks. Backtracking a bit, you mentioned you only knew “City Of The Dead” (1960) in its edited American version, Horror Hotel. The full length original City Of The Dead was re-issued on DVD in 2005 by VCI. It’s region free and includes an excellent commentary track with Christopher Lee, a brilliant 45 min interview with him, lots of other extra features. And if you enjoy City Of The Dead, check out Mario Bava’s masterpiece, “The Mask Of Satan” (also 1960) starring Barbara Steele, it’s truly outstanding!! Unquestionably a much better film. If you can find the DVD with film historian Tim Lucas’ commentary you wont be disappointed, he really knows his stuff and is a pleasure to listen to. I got mine in a going-out-of-business video shop sell off, a tragic way to get a copy but I’m grateful for it. Beware of the edited version known in the States as “Black Sunday”, it’s not nearly as good as the original, European director’s cut. Definitely worth looking for 8). Returning to Killer Klowns, were you frightened by clowns as a kid? I wasn’t but couldn’t help thinking, “What could possibly be going on in this persons mind, that an adult needs to behave like that?” The whole clown thing is something I just don’t understand but it does make for a cool horror comedy :o. If there is a sequel, here’s hoping they don’t resort to annoying digital effects that ruin so many movies these days. Excessive computer generated imagery: the last refuge of cinematic charlatans :roll:.

Re nostalgic. Sorry DOY, you're right. The Dickies are still performing today, so my initial observation isn't applicable in this case as they are still making magic on stage. Although in my defence the term nostalgic has an element of truth in most cases as most quality things are sadly from the past rather from the present i.e Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy, Steptoe & Son ect.... Thank heavens for Archives I say. Concerning Youtube. It's a good source of material agreed, but you're right again. There's nothing better than an actual DVD source material as the site being highly censored due to copyright issues plus length and quality issues are a factor also. :)

You highlight City of Dead aka Horror Hotel. As said previously I do have this film but not sure which cut? Got so many DVDs that I'd have to wade through a foot to reach it to check that one out, but I'm certain it was the first DVD issue of the film so unlikely a directors cut sadly as I bought it in the early 2000s. :?:

Am I afraid of Clowns? Answer is no. To be honest I've never had an issue really, although I am aware some people are terrified of them for some strange reason. I suppose who the clown is could be a factor. Say for example John Wayne Gacey, who used this guise as a front where in reality ( you being an American know this all too well) was a cold hearted serial Killer murdering over 33 boys & men during his murderous spree before being caught then sentenced to death in 1994. I suppose the clown to me represents how a person can appear to be happy on the outside but inside are tortured souls, as are many great comediennes , who give so much happiness to their audiences but are unhappy suicidal in fact the stage their only solace. Sad really. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Am I afraid of Clowns? ...I suppose who the clown is could be a factor.

Agreed! I know you enjoy brilliant comedian Bobcat Goldthwait, I adore the guy. But have you seen his alcoholic clown movie, “Shakes the Clown” (1991). Bob’s fearlessly honest stand-up comedy obviously offended some very powerful folks in ‘hollywood’, cause pretty much every published movie critic (idiots that pull words from a hat to create profitable blurbs) slagged Shakes, which despite the inevitable low-budget flaws, is actually a very funny film, better than most. If you haven’t seen Shakes, it’s definitely worth looking for ILS, time not wasted I promise.
A favorite bit: beloved comedienne LaWanda Page in full blown clown make-up, swearing up a storm :lol:.
LaWanda and Bob, they weren’t the sort of comics to heckle...I’ve seen it happen and it aint pretty :shock:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:08 pm

“Shakes the Clown” (1991)

I've seen some of his other more recent works, but not that one for some odd reason? Thanks for the heads-up on that one DOY. I'll check that one out a.s.a.p. I know after watching his movies that he's very socially aware, has a razor sharp mind & outlook on things , especially the current political scene, which is light years away from his character Zed portrayed. :)

One of his films that came to mind was his 2011 movie called, God Bless America. Whoa, what a brutal film! It was a cross between Lolita and reservoir dogs. :shock:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Previous

Return to The Curse of Steptoe