Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

It's common knowledge they always hated each other ...

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: It's common knowledge they always hated each other ...

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:09 pm

According to Harry H Corbett's wife who travelled with both Harry & Wilfrid on their Aussie Steptoe tour their were although not close outside the work environment were very good friends and after filming the series just went their separate ways. Harry had his family life and Wilfrid has his own private life. I've always maintained that you cannot work from 1962 to 1974 onwards, do tours, adverts if you hate the sight of each other. As usual the press/media like to continue spred muck about someone even long after their deaths. Bad news sells papers, attracts viewing figures sadly. :roll:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:53 am

Another thing I think a big part of the rumor that they hated each other comes from the Australia tour where it was rumored that WIlf would drink heavily and then not be at his best when the curtain went up, which frustrated Harry. It was also said that they made a television appearance and Wilf came out drunk as lord and made a big scene and Harry was so embarrassed that all he could do was walk out and vow never to work with Wilf again. It wasn't necessarily because he hated him, but because his drinking had made him an embarrassment on stage and in front of the cameras. The television appearance was simply the final straw.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Another thing I think a big part of the rumor that they hated each other comes from the Australia tour where it was rumored that WIlf would drink heavily and then not be at his best when the curtain went up, which frustrated Harry. It was also said that they made a television appearance and Wilf came out drunk as lord and made a big scene and Harry was so embarrassed that all he could do was walk out and vow never to work with Wilf again. It wasn't necessarily because he hated him, but because his drinking had made him an embarrassment on stage and in front of the cameras. The television appearance was simply the final straw.

There's been a lot of lies & untruths told by ones not even alive when Harry & Wilfrid were acting together. Yes, Wilfrid had issues, and of course there were tensions, all actors have experienced them, but I tend to believe Harry's family i.e his Wife & daughter and close friends who were there filming the series and on location in Australia who denounced the salacious rumours as falsehoods.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Previous

Return to The Curse of Steptoe