Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

So...what did everyone think

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

So...what did everyone think

Postby Rian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:22 am

So...what did everyone think about "The Curse Of Steptoe"

Personally i did not like it
I thought it was quite slow and some of the information did not seem correct,i would of thought it would been more of a tribute.
Rian

Postby ColdComfort » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:54 pm

I have not seen it yet. I dont know whem/if it will get aired in Australia. Hopefully it might appear om youtube.

Cheers all.
What can I say, these two lovely guys make me laugh.
ColdComfort

Not my cup of tea

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

There were many inaccuracies... firstly, they had it go into colour after series 6, so whoever did research obviously just looked at the dvd's, also, they had Wilfrid want to leave around then too, it was after series 2 he nearly left the show only to come back... I wish the BBC would employ people who can actually DO proper research for once - there is no excuse for it.

I thought it needed to be longer too, it hardly touched on so many things, it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know or couldn't already find out if we looked.
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:05 pm

A Load Of Cobblers :evil:

It seems to have been written by someone who watched the dreadful Channel 4 documentary 'When Steptoe Met Son' then wrote the drama around it !.
I have it stored on the computers hard disk. With the video editing software I can cut out some of the worse scenes and turn out something more interesting.

The only interesting bit was when Wilf left the series to do a stage play in America and G&S planned to introduce a new son possibly David Hemmings. This was covered in the book it could have worked and the series may have continued well into the 80's :o
Archie

so...what did everyone think

Postby harold » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:41 pm

I HAVE NOT SEEN IT , I DOUBT IT WILL BE SHOWN IN AMERICA AND I STILL LOVE THE SHOW
harold

Postby Rian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:08 pm

it really did not do the show justice!
Rian

Postby Albie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 pm

it was interesting however they seemed to rush it in the last 20minutes which ruined it, they should of atleast made it 2hours long, i didnt like as always they focused on the hatred these two men had for each other.. was it really true?? or is it just a story?
Albie

Postby charlie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Didn't think much to it myself,,, Harry came across as a wife beating ,womeniser. abit like a' dirty den ' bloke.!
Was Willy miserable for all the 14 years.? I think not.. as you say they wouldn't have carried on for so long just because it was a 'good gritty drama'. once again we're left with more questions than answers....!
charlie

Postby Rian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:07 pm

yeah it should of been longer,they did rush it with a stupid ending!
i thought the end would be dedicated to there memory
Rian

Postby oil drum lane » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:22 pm

hi everyone,i taught it was intresting after a long time being a fan i never knew that wilf brambel was gay or a drunk or irish either,so i found it informative but since reading some of the threads i dont know if it is a true account.is there any books out there (ie) autobiographys where i might get the real story.thanks
oil drum lane

not long enough

Postby Sven Donkers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Although i did enjoy it, i feel it should have either been longer or have contained more info.
I agree that the ending was abrupt and didnt go into the whole
"Australian tour" thing. It would have been better to have ended with the x rated comments from wilfred as the two were interviewed on Australian TV. :shock:
Sven Donkers

Postby Archie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:50 pm

oil drum lane wrote:is there any books out there (ie) autobiographys where i might get the real story.thanks

'Steptoe & Son' by Ray Galton and Alan Simpson with Robert Ross.
Publisher BBC Worldwide 2002
ISBN no 0 563 48833 6

Sadly the book is out of print :( but Amazon UK often advertise second hand copies :)

Did anyone else notice that the actress playing Harolds second wife looked like Amy Winehouse :shock:
Archie

Postby oil drum lane » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:18 pm

cheers archie i just found it on ebay so hopefully i will win the auction and gain some more info. regards mick. :D
oil drum lane

Postby Jojo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:58 pm

Just sat through this heap of hose dung. Now i wish I hadn't bothered. Played out the negativity to the full [if there was such a situation between them]. Forgettable 'drama'.

Sell it to Charlie Harris, he's into dodgy stuff.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby taylorslade » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:10 am

Just had to bump this up to have my little rant....

As Albert would say...

Bleedin' awful. Too many bad things about this production it's not worth the time listing them! Though for me, the worst thing was Jason Isaacs' performance, especially whilst in character as Harold Steptoe...the voice was absolutley terrible and cringeworthy.

Once again another production comes along and fuels the gossip about the relationship between Harry and Wilfred. The BBC should be ashamed of themselves that they made Harry look like a Womanising sex-crazed maniac and made a paticular effort to dwell on Wilfred's PRIVATE (do those dim-heads at the BBC even understand that word) life. Shameful.

The curse of Steptoe and Son?.....record viewing figures to this day, incredible critical acclaim, Iconic status...and a forever lasting legacy.....

Some curse eh?

Cobblers.
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

Next

Return to The Curse of Steptoe