Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

BBC uphold a family complaint against The Curse...

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

BBC uphold a family complaint against The Curse...

Postby Graham_S nli » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Long time all....

Read this on the BBC website this lunchtime that finally some justice has come about on on the factual errors and blackening of the main actors real chracters on the programme....

Not a complete apology but at least a start....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7747806.stm
Graham
Graham_S nli

bbc uphold a family complaint agaist the curse...

Postby harold » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:36 pm

yes it is a start but we all know the true story its a shame that people who never saw the steptoe and son show on tv and think that the curse of steptoe was what really happened welcome back graham ive missed your postings again glad to see your return to the forum
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby bob » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:29 am

Hi Graham

Nice to hear from you.

It may not be a complete appology, but it is evidence that considerable dramtic liberties were taken to create a story, rather than reflect the truth.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:46 pm

I would believe their apology if they said they had given away any of the money they made from it, but as they haven't, the BBC still win which to me makes their apology worthless. Does anyone really believe they actually care??
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:07 am

The Curse of Steptoe, which starred Jason Isaacs and Phil Davis, was watched by 1.4 million viewers - which was then BBC Four's biggest ever audience - when it aired in March this year.

Hopefully if they do repeat it they will edit out the unnecessary obscenities ! :x
Archie

Postby rose » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:18 pm

Isn't that more of a case of admitting that they made a few mistakes, rather than a full apology? Speaking as someone, who had very little knowledge about how the programme was made, I did find it very misleading, but due to actor bias, I couldn't help but feel some parts were acted out in certain ways, as Jason Isaacs is known for his roles as the bad guy, EG Lucius Malfoy of Harry Potter films and Cornol Tavvington of The Patriot. In other words, I agree that some of it did seem more story related, than the truth.
Do the BBC care? As long as there's money in the bank, I doubt it very much.
You've been at my threpney bits!
rose

Curse Of Steptoe

Postby ianb » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Can't believe the BBC produced the Curse Of Steptoe. What a cheap shot at two comedy legends! The facts are clear to see - Wilf & Harry had a good working relationship (as Harry's wife & both Galton & Simpson have confirmed in interviews) .... however they were two completely different individuals that mixed in different circles away from the set. This doesn't mean they hated each other from the start - far from it! There is no way they could have worked with each other for so long if they hated each from the start as this ridiculous drama portrayed. Shame on the BBC! Shows like Steptoe are what made the BBC.
ianb

Return to The Curse of Steptoe