Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Why the big interest ?

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Why the big interest ?

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:DOY, just checked and she was only in the second film. As said, Carry On Nurse was the B&W film and he two main nurses featured in that one was the lovely Joan Sims and as said bond girl Shirley Eaton. She might have been in maybe Carry on again Doctor perhaps the one you're thinking about? She played the role as the Out-patient's sister, and also that film featured the very beautiful Swedish actress Yutte_Stensgaard who starred in Vampire Lovers. Carry On Again Doctor was the last of the medical Carry Ons, and that film featured the bubbling Doctor Nookey (Jim Dale) who was sent by the hospital medical board which included Doctor Carver (Kenneth Williams) to the hurricane prone tropical beatific Islands where he discovered Gladstone Screwer (Sid James), his numerous wives, and his wonder diet elixir. See pic of Valerie Von ost in said Carry on again Doctor holding an aged Joan Sims arm. :D
Regarding the movie Twin Town...Offended no, irritated yes.

Where to begin? Sorry to differ with you mate, but the arm in photo you posted above belongs to Patricia Hayes, not Joan Sims. Also, Valerie Von Ost is in fact in “Carry On Doctor” (1967), her name can be read in the opening credits (I've never seen Carry On Nurse.) The scenes I originally mentioned are well remembered stand out favorites: a tall bleached blonde nurse smiles and says to Sid James lying in bed (he was still recovering from a heart attack), “You can take your medicine.” To which he replies, “I bet you can too, heh heh heh.” The same actress is seen later with Charles Hawtry as described in my previous post. There's no question it's Valerie Von Ost. Maybe your version of the 1967 movie has been edited, I don't know, or maybe the confusion lies in that the terms 'sister' and 'matron' generally aren't used here in the same context. And, I don't mean to be pedantic, but Yutte Stensgaard starred in "Lust For A Vampire", not "The Vampire Lovers." Have you seen the third film, "Twins of Evil"? It's quite good, reissued in 2012 by Synapse as a region free blu-ray with lots of extras :D. Peter Cushing is extraordinary, as always. It's difficult to mistake "Carry On Again Doctor" for any other film because Shakira Caine is in it, she's even more stunning in "The Man Who Would Be King" :). "Twin Town", recently watched the movie again and must confess, it's not as good as I remembered, probably because I walk out during the rubbish bits and do the washing up instead :o. More constructive than going to the sweets counter for a bucket of rancid artificially flavoured popcorn. A youth spent in cinemas, that popcorn stench will pong forever in my memory, ugh :shock:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:DOY, just checked and she was only in the second film. As said, Carry On Nurse was the B&W film and he two main nurses featured in that one was the lovely Joan Sims and as said bond girl Shirley Eaton. She might have been in maybe Carry on again Doctor perhaps the one you're thinking about? She played the role as the Out-patient's sister, and also that film featured the very beautiful Swedish actress Yutte_Stensgaard who starred in Vampire Lovers. Carry On Again Doctor was the last of the medical Carry Ons, and that film featured the bubbling Doctor Nookey (Jim Dale) who was sent by the hospital medical board which included Doctor Carver (Kenneth Williams) to the hurricane prone tropical beatific Islands where he discovered Gladstone Screwer (Sid James), his numerous wives, and his wonder diet elixir. See pic of Valerie Von ost in said Carry on again Doctor holding an aged Joan Sims arm. :D
Regarding the movie Twin Town...Offended no, irritated yes.

Where to begin? Sorry to differ with you mate, but the arm in photo you posted above belongs to Patricia Hayes, not Joan Sims. Also, Valerie Von Ost is in fact in “Carry On Doctor” (1967), her name can be read in the opening credits (I've never seen Carry On Nurse.) The scenes I originally mentioned are well remembered stand out favorites: a tall bleached blonde nurse smiles and says to Sid James lying in bed (he was still recovering from a heart attack), “You can take your medicine.” To which he replies, “I bet you can too, heh heh heh.” The same actress is seen later with Charles Hawtry as described in my previous post. There's no question it's Valerie Von Ost. Maybe your version of the 1967 movie has been edited, I don't know, or maybe the confusion lies in that the terms 'sister' and 'matron' generally aren't used here in the same context. And, I don't mean to be pedantic, but Yutte Stensgaard starred in "Lust For A Vampire", not "The Vampire Lovers." Have you seen the third film, "Twins of Evil"? It's quite good, reissued in 2012 by Synapse as a region free blu-ray with lots of extras :D. Peter Cushing is extraordinary, as always. It's difficult to mistake "Carry On Again Doctor" for any other film because Shakira Caine is in it, she's even more stunning in "The Man Who Would Be King" :). "Twin Town", recently watched the movie again and must confess, it's not as good as I remembered, probably because I walk out during the rubbish bits and do the washing up instead :o. More constructive than going to the sweets counter for a bucket of rancid artificially flavoured popcorn. A youth spent in cinemas, that popcorn stench will pong forever in my memory, ugh :shock:.

Firstly DOY, you are right with what you say. I stand corrected. It was indeed Patricia Hayes of Hancock's Half Hour and many other comedy sitcom and movie fame not the multi talented Joan Sims who coincidentally played similar character in a well known famous Warren Mitchell series called " in sickness and in Heath" with Dandy Nichols in the mid 80s. Most likely that's where I made the connection.

Secondly regarding Valerie Van Ost . Yes, Indeed she was in both Carry on Doctor and again Doctor. To confuse things further that I've just read back my initial reply to your first mention of her and realised it was me who mention Carry on Nurse (1959), not you, and why I said it or made the connection puzzles me still, and I said it? I need a lie down, or an ennema sideways , both indeed , for my stupitity. :?
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I need a lie down, or an ennema sideways , both indeed , for my stupitity. :?

"Stupidity"? I never suggested that, neither was I critiquing your comments, but if you were offended I apologize.
English is a second language for most yanks, consequently I'm not the most articulate fellow :oops:. Back on topic, are you put off by the smell of popcorn as I am? When I describe growing up in cinemas, that's not an exaggeration. Double features and you could watch all day, so no wonder that rancid popcorn stench makes my skin crawl.
It was everywhere, on the floor and on the seats. Sit down and those plastic seats would exhale the stuff :shock:.
Some fond memories though; "The Andromeda Strain", "The Legend of Hell House", "Colossus: The Forbin Project".
Uncounted others in their original theatrical screenings :o. Colossus: The Forbin Project always struck me as an homogenized, tame version of Harlan Ellison's excellent short story "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." I seem to recall your fondness for supernatural/horror fiction, chances are you'd enjoy that classic Ellison tale, a favorite :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:I need a lie down, or an ennema sideways , both indeed , for my stupitity. :?

"Stupidity"? I never suggested that, neither was I critiquing your comments, but if you were offended I apologize.
English is a second language for most yanks, consequently I'm not the most articulate fellow :oops:. Back on topic, are you put off by the smell of popcorn as I am? When I describe growing up in cinemas, that's not an exaggeration. Double features and you could watch all day, so no wonder that rancid popcorn stench makes my skin crawl.
It was everywhere, on the floor and on the seats. Sit down and those plastic seats would exhale the stuff :shock:.
Some fond memories though; "The Andromeda Strain", "The Legend of Hell House", "Colossus: The Forbin Project".
Uncounted others in their original theatrical screenings :o. Colossus: The Forbin Project always struck me as an homogenized, tame version of Harlan Ellison's excellent short story "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." I seem to recall your fondness for supernatural/horror fiction, chances are you'd enjoy that classic Ellison tale, a favorite :).

No DOY, I'm not offended lol. I was indeed calling myself stupid for pointing out something in response to your great post that was never mentioned, and no need to apologise friend, it was my fault totally. I misread your post, and like a cyclone through a cesspit caused a turdnado of verbal diarrhea . :wink:

Regarding cinema mentioned. Man, I haven't been for years as I have so many DVDs. Bit lazy I know, and having a large 42in wide screen TV helps a bit the but as you know it can't beat the proper Imax experience. Last major film I saw was... um... Mummy 2 I think?.. er.. yes.. Mummy 2. So that'll give you an idea how long ago it was since I last saw a flick properly as intended, and then I was nearly thrown out as I took half a sweet shop into the cinema as I was too frugal to pay for their own food. I'm indeed tighter than a gnat's A-hole. :lol:

Re Supernatural Horror. Yes , indeed I am a lover of the said genre, and great films mentioned to with Andromeda Strain, Hell House & Colossus: The Forbin Project. Coincidentally you should mention horror because the other day on Amazon.uk I bought the classic late Sebastian Cabot presented horror series " Circle of Fear" AKA "Ghost Story" (1972) on R1 DVD, which cost me £26.00 freepost. I can remember years ago seeing some episodes, but forgot how good they were. Loving the DVD cover also (see pic). Doesn't he looks like an aged Casper with Liberace complex lol. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:57 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Loving the DVD cover also (see pic). Doesn't he looks like an aged Casper with Liberace complex lol. 8)

...A Liberace complex :lol:. That or a bearded Frau Blucher, “Stay close to the candles, the stairway.....can be treacherous.” (Young Frankenstein) :o.
I’ve only seen the Ghost Story pilot, with the incredible Jeanette Nolan who played Lady Macbeth in what is still my favorite version, Orson Welles’ (heartily recommended!)
Produced by infamous horror movie gimmick king William Castle and directed by John Moxey, who also directed the Amicus classic “City Of The Dead”, Cabot’s scenes were filmed in a historic hotel that can be seen in many pictures including “The Stunt Man” starring Peter O'Toole.
I always liked Sebastian Cabot, difficult not to, even in Roger Corman’s melodramatic "Twice Told Tales".
Casper with a Liberace complex, that still makes me laugh, Cheers :D.
At a time when I really could do with a laugh :(.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Loving the DVD cover also (see pic). Doesn't he looks like an aged Casper with Liberace complex lol. 8)

...A Liberace complex :lol:. That or a bearded Frau Blucher, “Stay close to the candles, the stairway.....can be treacherous.” (Young Frankenstein) :o.
I’ve only seen the Ghost Story pilot, with the incredible Jeanette Nolan who played Lady Macbeth in what is still my favorite version, Orson Welles’ (heartily recommended!)
Produced by infamous horror movie gimmick king William Castle and directed by John Moxey, who also directed the Amicus classic “City Of The Dead”, Cabot’s scenes were filmed in a historic hotel that can be seen in many pictures including “The Stunt Man” starring Peter O'Toole.
I always liked Sebastian Cabot, difficult not to, even in Roger Corman’s melodramatic "Twice Told Tales".
Casper with a Liberace complex, that still makes me laugh, Cheers :D.
At a time when I really could do with a laugh :(.

Glad I made you titter DOY. :P

Thanks for the suggestion there DOY, I shall check that one out. As a horror fan as you know I'm always on the lookout for series I've never seen before. Besides recently obtaining Ghost Story AKA Circle of fear, I came across Boris Karloff's 1961/62 horror/suspense series Thriller the other day on Amazon. Had a quick peek on Youtube, and it so reminded me so much of classic Twilight Zone. So another one on my wanted list I thought. Never knew he did this as the only one I'd ever seen was called The Veil. You're most likely familiar with both as they are only available on R1, so I had to import from the states.

Regarding the great actor Sebastian Cabot. Wasn't he in that Twilight episode called "a nice place to be" or something similar? Anyway, I can remember it involved a two bit gangster being pursued by the police, in Chicago I think, after robbing a pawn shop or liquor store, and after fleeing down a dead end alleyway was beckoned by the said Cabot over a chainlink fence in which he was then apparently shot by cops but amazingly continued on further to run until he entered a building to see a luxurious room that held all his fantasies. At first he's over the moon assuming Cabot was his guardian angel who made his every wish come true by giving him wealth, women and said that he could do anything he liked, but that all turns sour as it turned out to be his very own personal heaven come hell with Cabot being although not said the devil himself. Brilliant episode as all Rod Serling Twilight eps are. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:31 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Glad I made you titter DOY. :P
Thanks for the suggestion there DOY, I shall check that one out.

Titter? It was more in the way of a guffaw thank you, a belly laugh if you will :o.
I’m not sure which one you mean, but I’m guessing you’ve already seen Amicus’ first film “City of the Dead” aka Horror Hotel (1960) starring Christopher Lee. Orson Welles’ “Macbeth” (1948) is a masterpiece (look for Roddy McDowall) that likely influenced another masterpiece, Kurosawa’s version of the Scottish Play, “Throne of Blood” (1957). Welles’ “Othello” (1952) is quite good too. And yes indeed, Sebastian Cabot appeared in a 1960 Twilight Zone episode, "A Nice Place To Visit" and though I probably saw it on telly as a child, I can't recall it. Sounds like a brilliant episode even if the dramatic scenario is familiar, Mephistopheles and that lot. If you do choose to get Boris Karloff's "Thriller", which I don't think I've ever seen, you should be able to get it cheaply. I saw the dvd collection in a remainder bin a few years ago and unfortunately didn't get it, it was something like 3 quid.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:45 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Glad I made you titter DOY. :P
Thanks for the suggestion there DOY, I shall check that one out.

Titter? It was more in the way of a guffaw thank you, a belly laugh if you will :o.
I’m not sure which one you mean, but I’m guessing you’ve already seen Amicus’ first film “City of the Dead” aka Horror Hotel (1960) starring Christopher Lee. Orson Welles’ “Macbeth” (1948) is a masterpiece (look for Roddy McDowall) that likely influenced another masterpiece, Kurosawa’s version of the Scottish Play, “Throne of Blood” (1957). Welles’ “Othello” (1952) is quite good too. And yes indeed, Sebastian Cabot appeared in a 1960 Twilight Zone episode, "A Nice Place To Visit" and though I probably saw it on telly as a child, I can't recall it. Sounds like a brilliant episode even if the dramatic scenario is familiar, Mephistopheles and that lot. If you do choose to get Boris Karloff's "Thriller", which I don't think I've ever seen, you should be able to get it cheaply. I saw the dvd collection in a remainder bin a few years ago and unfortunately didn't get it, it was something like 3 quid.

DOY, sorry about the confusion. I was referring to the Pilot of Cabot's Ghost Story series when I said "thanks I'll check that one out." Haven't seen it yet as I've bought the dvd set as an early Xmas present for a family member who loves their horror, as I do, and I've never seen the actual pilot episode before. See most shown in the UK weren't in line, just mixed, and aired on a rainy day.

A guffaw. Sounds painful and something you put ointment on. Now a belly laugh I know, although guffaw reminds me of reading the classic Beano & Dandy comics. :wink:

Regarding City of the Dead mentioned. I've always known it as Horror Hotel personally, and was surprised to see its alternative name. I love it as it's dark satanic overtones, which is magnified seeing it's in glorious black & white, and I'm sure they used the scene where you see a procession of devil worshipers to the crypt in a Iron Maiden video once, could be wrong, most likely am.

Coincidentally you should mention getting the Boris Karloff's Thriller DVD series cheap. Sadly most likely being a R1 release in the US it was as you said easy to obtain, but over here not so. Had a look on eBay and Amazon at some prices. The ones on Amazon, and there was only one advertised, was £99.00, and two on ebay with one at £55 buy it now the other auction. I'm pleased to say I fortunate to win the eBay auction set for £25 plus p&p. That's another one ticked off my wanted list. Oh yeah! 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:A guffaw. Sounds painful and something you put ointment on.

No no, that's a coracle! Or is it a carbuncle? :shock:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Beano & Dandy comics. :wink:

Another case of possible mistaken identity, over here "Beano" is a product that at one time was found in most health food shops; after-dinner vegetarian enzyme tablets that claimed to prevent embarrassing d'oyly cartes.
They'd usually be displayed in the checkout aisle along with other useless impulse purchases: insipid fitness magazines and the like :roll:. Returning to telly/cinema, when I wrote I’d seen the “Ghost Story” pilot, I’d assumed you’d seen it already. Don’t expect much more than a ham-handed reworking of any number of films including “Rosemary’s Baby” (1968) which William Castle ‘coincidentally’ also produced. At that time there was an industrial mad dash to cash in on the absurd suggestion that children are somehow innately evil; a cinematic trend that might’ve began with "The Bad Seed" (1956), then “Village of the Damned” (1960), “Lord of the Flies” (1963), reached a global fever pitch with “The Exorcist” (1973) resulting in “The Omen” (1976). Then there were those films (some great, most weren’t) targeting the youth market and were first to dramatize baby boomers coming of age in the mid-late 1950’s. Among them “Rebel Without A Cause” (1955), “The Blob” (1958), uncounted others. “The Exorcist” is another picture I saw in its original theatrical release, I was very young but will never forget walking out of the cinema thinking, ”What’s all the fuss?! The papers and telly are full of thoroughly undocumented stories of people fainting in the aisles, fleeing to the lobby to vomit?? Hammer’s 'Dracula' (aka Horror of Dracula, which I’d only seen on telly) was way better than this.” And I'm still convinced Hammer's "Dracula" (1957) is a much better film 8).
Actually, “Night of the Living Dead” (1968) was far more frightening than The Exorcist and made for a tiny fraction of the price. A film that harkens back to movies we’re not meant to remember, like “J’accuse!” (1919/1938) in which the mutilated victims of WWI rise from their graves to haunt the living.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:A guffaw. Sounds painful and something you put ointment on.

No no, that's a coracle! Or is it a carbuncle? :shock:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Beano & Dandy comics. :wink:

Another case of possible mistaken identity, over here "Beano" is a product that at one time was found in most health food shops; after-dinner vegetarian enzyme tablets that claimed to prevent embarrassing d'oyly cartes.
They'd usually be displayed in the checkout aisle along with other useless impulse purchases: insipid fitness magazines and the like :roll:. Returning to telly/cinema, when I wrote I’d seen the “Ghost Story” pilot, I’d assumed you’d seen it already. Don’t expect much more than a ham-handed reworking of any number of films including “Rosemary’s Baby” (1968) which William Castle ‘coincidentally’ also produced. At that time there was an industrial mad dash to cash in on the absurd suggestion that children are somehow innately evil; a cinematic trend that might’ve began with "The Bad Seed" (1956), then “Village of the Damned” (1960), “Lord of the Flies” (1963), reached a global fever pitch with “The Exorcist” (1973) resulting in “The Omen” (1976). Then there were those films (some great, most weren’t) targeting the youth market and were first to dramatize baby boomers coming of age in the mid-late 1950’s. Among them “Rebel Without A Cause” (1955), “The Blob” (1958), uncounted others. “The Exorcist” is another picture I saw in its original theatrical release, I was very young but will never forget walking out of the cinema thinking, ”What’s all the fuss?! The papers and telly are full of thoroughly undocumented stories of people fainting in the aisles, fleeing to the lobby to vomit?? Hammer’s 'Dracula' (aka Horror of Dracula, which I’d only seen on telly) was way better than this.” And I'm still convinced Hammer's "Dracula" (1957) is a much better film 8).
Actually, “Night of the Living Dead” (1968) was far more frightening than The Exorcist and made for a tiny fraction of the price. A film that harkens back to movies we’re not meant to remember, like “J’accuse!” (1919/1938) in which the mutilated victims of WWI rise from their graves to haunt the living.

Sorry for the late reply DOY. My computer went bye bye on me and I've been waiting weeks for it to be fixed, and to rub salt into my wounds forgot my site password as I clicked which I first joined remember password on my PC, doh!! They say bad luck comes in two. :x

Never knew Beano was a veggie product in the states, a laxative in effect, for ones who has issue with constipation? To me it means to party or to enjoy ones self, although Ironically in a way both descriptions mean the same thing as the end result is usually relief ending with a fixed grin & satisfaction at ones achievement. Well I be buggered he says, and that too is good for constipation too I heard. :shock:

Re Ghost Story. I haven't see the pilot yet as said previously. As with most shows over here, unlike today, programmers never put shows on in-line from episode one to they had a policy of pic n mix i:e : Eeny meeny miney mo, which program shall we start with, oh sod it? pick this one quickly, here we go!! And this is why I love paying the licence fee. :roll:

Re Exorcist and other films classic mentioned. Yeah, saw some footage of the aftermath of the initial showing of the Exorcist back in 1973. Some of the people's reactions & descriptions of what they experienced were hilarious borderline terrifying. Mind you I'd have been the same to be perfectly honest. My regret about the film is that the director cut out that infamous sequence showing Linda Blair crabbing down the stairs on all fours like a lizard poking her tongue out. Flipping heck, that was such a skin crawling & frightening scene even thinking about it now. :shock:

The Blob (1958) mentioned is another favourite of mine starring a youthful Steve McQueen his first film role if I'm correct? What a great film as was I might add the very good remake made in the late eighties (1988) also starring Kevin Dillion brother of the said Matt. I loved also Rosemary's Baby, very sinister too, directed by Roman Polanski who coincidentally made and starred in my favourite comedy Vampire horror of all time being the brilliant (1967) Fearless Vampire Killers aka Dance of the Vampire aka Pardon me are those your teeth in my neck. I love this film so much I have the original quad posters (not US/UK sadly) from this film with one being from Spain the other Germany. Great they are too. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:49 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Sorry for the late reply DOY. My computer went bye bye on me and I've been waiting weeks for it to be fixed, and to rub salt into my wounds forgot my site password as I clicked which I first joined remember password on my PC, doh!! They say bad luck comes in two. :x
Never knew Beano was a veggie product in the states, a laxative in effect, for ones who has issue with constipation? To me it means to party or to enjoy ones self, although Ironically in a way both descriptions mean the same thing as the end result is usually relief ending with a fixed grin & satisfaction at ones achievement. Well I be buggered he says, and that too is good for constipation too I heard. :shock:
Re Ghost Story. I haven't see the pilot yet as said previously. As with most shows over here, unlike today, programmers never put shows on in-line from episode one to they had a policy of pic n mix i:e : Eeny meeny miney mo, which program shall we start with, oh sod it? pick this one quickly, here we go!! And this is why I love paying the licence fee. :roll:
Re Exorcist and other films classic mentioned. Yeah, saw some footage of the aftermath of the initial showing of the Exorcist back in 1973. Some of the people's reactions & descriptions of what they experienced were hilarious borderline terrifying. Mind you I'd have been the same to be perfectly honest. My regret about the film is that the director cut out that infamous sequence showing Linda Blair crabbing down the stairs on all fours like a lizard poking her tongue out. Flipping heck, that was such a skin crawling & frightening scene even thinking about it now. :shock:
The Blob (1958) mentioned is another favourite of mine starring a youthful Steve McQueen his first film role if I'm correct? What a great film as was I might add the very good remake made in the late eighties (1988) also starring Kevin Dillion brother of the said Matt. I loved also Rosemary's Baby, very sinister too, directed by Roman Polanski who coincidentally made and starred in my favourite comedy Vampire horror of all time being the brilliant (1967) Fearless Vampire Killers aka Dance of the Vampire aka Pardon me are those your teeth in my neck. I love this film so much I have the original quad posters (not US/UK sadly) from this film with one being from Spain the other Germany. Great they are too. :P

“Bad luck”? I hope you’re not superstitious ILS, knock wood :o.
Very sorry to read about your computer going bristols up, frustrating to say the least! Hope the repair costs weren’t obscene, as they inevitably are in an industry so obviously, and needlessly, based on planned obsolescence. What was once touted as an ‘information highway’ has primarily become a global venue for greedy carny barkers.
Despite your evocative comments, Beano isn’t a laxative, all it claims (emphasis on ‘claims’) to do is prevent d’oyly cartes. As a vegetarian yourself I’m sure you can appreciate the occasional need for restraint. What I mean to say is, experienced sailors (men and women both) know when not to smoke below deck, if you take my meaning :wink:.
William Castle’s movies are dreadful, a guilty pleasure I usually save for Halloween. Whether or not you enjoy his work, check out the documentary “Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story”, it’s really quite good. An amusing examination of exploitation cinema at its cheapest. Roger Corman was equally parsimonious both artistically and financially, but at least Castle wisely went out and met the public, shook hands with ticket purchasers and actively participated in the entire horror movie farce, which immediately endeared him to fans, and still does :).
Linda Blair defying physics by spinning her head like a top was bad enough, in that instant suspension of disbelief gets up and leaves the theatre, but the deleted scene you’re referring to was ‘restored’ in the so called “directors cut.” Buyer beware: if you’re fond of “The Exorcist”, avoid the ‘directors cut w/commentary’ :roll:.
“The Blob” was indeed McQ, wait...that was John Wayne, start again. The Blob was indeed McQueen’s first movie. I’d rather watch “Killer Klowns From Outer Space” (1988): cheap/cheerful with famous punk anthem by The Dickies 8).
Agreed, “Fearless Vampire Killers” is a classic, Ferdy Mayne was perfectly cast. If you enjoy Polanski’s work be sure to see “The Ninth Gate” (2000), it’s excellent. Interesting to note that in both films, vast private libraries play a key role, and for any bibliophile that’s a bonus :D. Not the least of which Emmanuelle Seigner, talk about feminine, cor!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Sorry for the late reply DOY. My computer went bye bye on me and I've been waiting weeks for it to be fixed, and to rub salt into my wounds forgot my site password as I clicked which I first joined remember password on my PC, doh!! They say bad luck comes in two. :x

“Bad luck”? I hope you’re not superstitious ILS, knock wood :o.
Very sorry to read about your computer going bristols up, frustrating to say the least! Hope the repair costs weren’t obscene, as they inevitably are in an industry so obviously, and needlessly, based on planned obsolescence. What was once touted as an ‘information highway’ has primarily become a global venue for greedy carny barkers.
Despite your evocative comments, Beano isn’t a laxative, all it claims (emphasis on ‘claims’) to do is prevent d’oyly cartes. As a vegetarian yourself I’m sure you can appreciate the occasional need for restraint. What I mean to say is, experienced sailors (men and women both) know when not to smoke below deck, if you take my meaning :wink:.
William Castle’s movies are dreadful, a guilty pleasure I usually save for Halloween. Whether or not you enjoy his work, check out the documentary “Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story”, it’s really quite good. An amusing examination of exploitation cinema at its cheapest. Roger Corman was equally parsimonious both artistically and financially, but at least Castle wisely went out and met the public, shook hands with ticket purchasers and actively participated in the entire horror movie farce, which immediately endeared him to fans, and still does :).
Linda Blair defying physics by spinning her head like a top was bad enough, in that instant suspension of disbelief gets up and leaves the theatre, but the deleted scene you’re referring to was ‘restored’ in the so called “directors cut.” Buyer beware: if you’re fond of “The Exorcist”, avoid the ‘directors cut w/commentary’ :roll:.
“The Blob” was indeed McQ, wait...that was John Wayne, start again. The Blob was indeed McQueen’s first movie. I’d rather watch “Killer Klowns From Outer Space” (1988): cheap/cheerful with famous punk anthem by The Dickies 8).
Agreed, “Fearless Vampire Killers” is a classic, Ferdy Mayne was perfectly cast. If you enjoy Polanski’s work be sure to see “The Ninth Gate” (2000), it’s excellent. Interesting to note that in both films, vast private libraries play a key role, and for any bibliophile that’s a bonus :D. Not the least of which Emmanuelle Seigner, talk about feminine, cor!

Thanks DOY for the kind words. Yeah, every now and again the PC goes a.w.a.o.l on me , and like before I go through the same procedure over and over to reinstall all the software and so on. My browser was Chrome until recently has been failing badly on my aged Vista system due to Google withdrawing support for certain important plug-ins & silverlight which hasn't helped the situation, so I downloaded the only recognisable browser other than internet Explorer ( that too doesn't work also on Vista any more :roll: ) being Firefox which thankfully, all though not perfect, has most of the require to run this creaking system which is due for mothballing in 2017 by Microsoft I hear. More expensive unnecessary upgrades (he shouts bugger in a most violent way :x ).

BOT: Very interesting info with Exorcist there DOY, especially that Punk Band mentioned "the Dickies" who I never knew did the soundtrack for that classic 80s Killer Clowns from Outer Space. Wonder if it rose up the charts or was it a huge flop? Also good news. I hear on the grapevine that they might do a sequel called "Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and in 3D too, and when is anybodies guess, so exciting times ahead. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:19 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Very interesting info...especially that Punk Band mentioned "the Dickies" who I never knew did the soundtrack for that classic 80s Killer Clowns from Outer Space...they might do a sequel called "Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and in 3D too...8)

“Killer Klowns From Outer Space” (1988) is great fun innit :o. So wonderfully cheap and no digital effects (thank goodness.) I mentioned it because so much of the film was based on “The Blob” (1958), as the Chiodo Brothers freely admit. The Dickies didn’t do the score, only the brilliant punk song that can be heard over the opening and closing credits which Leonard P. wrote without ever seeing the movie, he'd only heard the title, or so the Chiodo’s claim. The song is much better heard in concert when they play it twice as fast, it might be at youtube somewhere, such a good band :D.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:03 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Very interesting info...especially that Punk Band mentioned "the Dickies" who I never knew did the soundtrack for that classic 80s Killer Clowns from Outer Space...they might do a sequel called "Return of the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and in 3D too...8)

“Killer Klowns From Outer Space” (1988) is great fun innit :o. So wonderfully cheap and no digital effects (thank goodness.) I mentioned it because so much of the film was based on “The Blob” (1958), as the Chiodo Brothers freely admit. The Dickies didn’t do the score, only the brilliant punk song that can be heard over the opening and closing credits which Leonard P. wrote without ever seeing the movie, he'd only heard the title, or so the Chiodo’s claim. The song is much better heard in concert when they play it twice as fast, it might be at youtube somewhere, such a good band :D.

Just checked out the Dickies , and you're right, very cool indeed. Like all quality bands the Dickies are still hanging firm and still pumping it put to the fans big time. Hope whenever they do that sequel mention they might add some music to the soundtrack as a little nostalgic salute to the past. 8)

Here their music video from the movien that I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGVX033PiDA

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:38 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Just checked out the Dickies, and you're right, very cool indeed. Like all quality bands the Dickies are still hanging firm and still pumping it put to the fans big time. Hope whenever they do that sequel mention they might add some music to the soundtrack as a little nostalgic salute to the past. 8)
Here their music video from the movien that I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGVX033PiDA

Hang on, did you just describe punk as "nostalgic"? "the past"? (shocked gasps from the gallery) :wink:.
If you enjoy The Dickies and prefer DVD’s to youtube (as I do) be sure to look for “The Best Of Flipside Video Vol 1”. Filmed in the 1980’s, full live sets by 4 bands including The Dickies, The Weirdos and an incredible, scathingly tight set by The Circle Jerks. Backtracking a bit, you mentioned you only knew “City Of The Dead” (1960) in its edited American version, Horror Hotel. The full length original City Of The Dead was re-issued on DVD in 2005 by VCI. It’s region free and includes an excellent commentary track with Christopher Lee, a brilliant 45 min interview with him, lots of other extra features. And if you enjoy City Of The Dead, check out Mario Bava’s masterpiece, “The Mask Of Satan” (also 1960) starring Barbara Steele, it’s truly outstanding!! Unquestionably a much better film. If you can find the DVD with film historian Tim Lucas’ commentary you wont be disappointed, he really knows his stuff and is a pleasure to listen to. I got mine in a going-out-of-business video shop sell off, a tragic way to get a copy but I’m grateful for it. Beware of the edited version known in the States as “Black Sunday”, it’s not nearly as good as the original, European director’s cut. Definitely worth looking for 8). Returning to Killer Klowns, were you frightened by clowns as a kid? I wasn’t but couldn’t help thinking, “What could possibly be going on in this persons mind, that an adult needs to behave like that?” The whole clown thing is something I just don’t understand but it does make for a cool horror comedy :o. If there is a sequel, here’s hoping they don’t resort to annoying digital effects that ruin so many movies these days. Excessive computer generated imagery: the last refuge of cinematic charlatans :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The Curse of Steptoe