Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Why the big interest ?

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Why the big interest ?

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 pm

But for the grace of some much needed sleep and some more time to edit I would've composed that post a lot differently, more courteously. But it's basic theme and content would remain the same. There's no reason to believe American's are ill equipped to enjoy Steptoe, the evidence suggests otherwise. Is poverty incidental to Steptoe? No, but their nationality and colour of their skin is. I hope my original reply didn't offend you, if it did I apologize. It's me cat ye see? Wakes me at ungodly hours, "FEED ME!"
It's like living in that Roger Corman movie, Little Shop of Horrors.
Re: Parr...Susannah described the Jack Parr Program, which followed his departure from The Tonite Show (NBC) which he created (Johnny Carson being his chosen successor.)
I encourage you to buy her book, it's truly outstanding!
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Time Gentlemen Please !!!! lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:11 pm

harryfaversham wrote:I do like quite a few American sitcoms. The British ones have always seemed more natural to me for some reason. Maybe its the fact that most of us who have never been to the US consider it to be another world entirely

I agree. Most if not 99% of US comedies go over my head with their humour ( No offence to our US members) but my first love always will be classic British Comedy although I do love Shows like Married with Children, Third Rock from the sun, Big bang theory, Malcome in the middle which has humour that I like which are different to the majority made US situation comedy shows. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Most if not 99% of US comedies go over my head with their humour ( No offence to our US members)...

None taken here. If most yank sitcoms don't seem funny, it's because they aren't funny, easy peasy. No map required. "Hollywood" (an unfortunate misnomer) has a well deserved reputation for being cut-throat and now that a handful of powerful corporations that aren't known for their lofty ideals suddenly control virtually every information/entertainment outlet in the states, a dramatic diminution in quality should come as no surprise. It's easily explained by the axiom, 'ignorance is it's own reward.' Hand a national network or local television station over to a few accountants, MBA's, political extremists and people with no experience or interest whatsoever in entertainment, music, employees or broadcasting itself and presto: heavily market researched tripe, drenched in grotesque artificial laugh tracks and inexplicably pointy brassieres :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:30 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Most if not 99% of US comedies go over my head with their humour ( No offence to our US members)...

None taken here. If most yank sitcoms don't seem funny, it's because they aren't funny, easy peasy. No map required. "Hollywood" (an unfortunate misnomer) has a well deserved reputation for being cut-throat and now that a handful of powerful corporations that aren't known for their lofty ideals suddenly control virtually every information/entertainment outlet in the states, a dramatic diminution in quality should come as no surprise. It's easily explained by the axiom, 'ignorance is it's own reward.' Hand a national network or local television station over to a few accountants, MBA's, political extremists and people with no experience or interest whatsoever in entertainment, music, employees or broadcasting itself and presto: heavily market researched tripe, drenched in grotesque artificial laugh tracks and inexplicably pointy brassieres :roll:

Well said. Hey, There's been and is some dire so- called comedies over here recently which I wonder sometimes "what's the bleeding point" and as usual long for the good ol days of the 1960's/70's sitcoms with the odd classic show in the 80's/90's. The US makes some brilliant sitcoms and some not so good but the ones I like as mentioned in my list above include humour I can relate to and are akin to what we used to create as a nation until we forgot how to make funny sitcoms. We've got the calibre of Actors but lacking in writers or more importantly money, the will to allow them the freedom to express and to experiment by the powers to be but there are still some gems made but it's like searching through coal to find a diamond so to speak. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Why the big interest ? - why are we all here.
S&S reflected the changing times of the 60s/70s I'm sure most of us actually experienced that incredible time the good the bad - it's who we are !. 8)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:31 pm

Agreed and that's the difference with Steptoe and most comedies. It mirrored the hardship, the tragedy of life where others treat subjects saw life through tinted glasses and stayed well clear of raw subjects that effects us all. The writers weren't afraid of pushing the boundaries of storylines that had a moral message of the struggles being stuck in a poverty environment but the both characters were although at each others throats were loyal to each other when times were hard. They say under adverse conditions we all flourish hence why we all love steptoe. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:They say under adverse conditions we all flourish hence why we all love steptoe. :)

I don't think I've read a more accurate, concise summation of our favorite show :)
Makes me blush at all my waffling :oops:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:32 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:They say under adverse conditions we all flourish hence why we all love steptoe. :)

I don't think I've read a more accurate, concise summation of our favorite show :)
Makes me blush at all my waffling :oops:

No need to blush it's just true. When we're all up against it's when we shine as individuals or as a family unit which makes us human. :D Out of interest how did a fine upstanding American gentleman like yourself get into Steptoe? Did you first watch it on BBC America or have you been a frequent visitor to these fine shores , saw some classic Brit TV and like us all caught the Steptoe love bug. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Hang on..."fine upstanding gentleman"? I don't know where you got that idea (this knicker elastic don't half cut into your legs). I'm gonna regret that joke, I just know it :roll:
Like most yanks of a certain age I grew up watching/enjoying Sanford and Son and though it was a historic, incredibly popular and influential show here (highest rated sitcom for quite a while) it was clear that, occasionally, it wasn't as good as it should've/could've been.* The opening title sequence featured brilliant music by Quincy Jones, everybody loved that tune, so it was natural to read accompanying credits that sometimes mentioned Ray, Alan and Steptoe, leaving an indelible impression. Fast forward decades later, a friend across the water recommended Steptoe and the memories came rushing back. Did a bit of research and picked up the movies. Of course I was hooked instantly, as is everyone I've ever shared Steptoe with, they all roar with laughter. A laughter you can recognize, that "...I didn't realize sitcoms could be so funny!!!" fall about laughter. A sweet sound.
I could be mistaken but I don't think Steptoe has ever been broadcast on BBC America and as long as content continues to be determined by demographics it's unlikely it ever will be, beeb's misplaced priorities obviously lie elsewhere. Bright sparks indeed.
* It should be said that, though it didn't happen often, once in a while yank writers would throw in a surprising addition to Ray and Alan's scripts. Example, at the end of the Sanford version of "And Afterwards At..." Lamont chucks family and gifts out the door and as a hilarious denouement, Fred tosses the colossal wedding cake out too, yelling, "And don't say we didn't feed ye!!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Hang on..."fine upstanding gentleman"? I don't know where you got that idea (this knicker elastic don't half cut into your legs). I'm gonna regret that joke, I just know it :roll:
Like most yanks of a certain age I grew up watching/enjoying Sanford and Son and though it was a historic, incredibly popular and influential show here (highest rated sitcom for quite a while) it was clear that, occasionally, it wasn't as good as it should've/could've been.* The opening title sequence featured brilliant music by Quincy Jones, everybody loved that tune, so it was natural to read accompanying credits that sometimes mentioned Ray, Alan and Steptoe, leaving an indelible impression. Fast forward decades later, a friend across the water recommended Steptoe and the memories came rushing back. Did a bit of research and picked up the movies. Of course I was hooked instantly, as is everyone I've ever shared Steptoe with, they all roar with laughter. A laughter you can recognize, that "...I didn't realize sitcoms could be so funny!!!" fall about laughter. A sweet sound.
I could be mistaken but I don't think Steptoe has ever been broadcast on BBC America and as long as content continues to be determined by demographics it's unlikely it ever will be, beeb's misplaced priorities obviously lie elsewhere. Bright sparks indeed.
* It should be said that, though it didn't happen often, once in a while yank writers would throw in a surprising addition to Ray and Alan's scripts. Example, at the end of the Sanford version of "And Afterwards At..." Lamont chucks family and gifts out the door and as a hilarious denouement, Fred tosses the colossal wedding cake out too, yelling, "And don't say we didn't feed ye!!"

Hey, That's nothing to be ashamed of. They say tights keep ones legs warm in the winter and fishermen wear them but hopefully they wear them during fishing and not all the time. :lol: also never knew that was the case of Steptoe never being broadcast on BBC America? :o I've as you've guessed heard of Sanford & Son which I though was very good and a different take on the original. I on watching it constantly told myself not to compare it to the original Steptoe as both have their own merits but I looked through new eyes at the show and found I surprisingly liked it and was amazed that it ran for so many seasons. 8) Yeah, and I know what you mean by spontaneous laughter compared with canned or prompted. Some shows encourages the audience to cheer by the floor manager which is noticable. :roll:

I don't know if you think the same but when Shows cross the pond I wish they's stick to the blue print of the show and not corrupt the characters/Story plots entirely. The UK version of Married with children was a disaster and wasn't a patch on the US classic starring Ed O' Neil. The old saying goes if something's not broken don't try to fix it. A classic a classic for a reason so stay well away from perfection I say. :)

(P/S) Take a peek at my signed Galton & Simpson DVD boxset on the "Steptoe stuff on eBay" thread and tell me what you think. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Always obvious innit, when laughter is 'canned' or exaggerated in some way, despite claims manipulation didn't occur. Every viewer/listener can recognize, even if it's at a subconscious level, when an engineer (or floor manager as you've pointed out) is instructed to artificially insert laughter/crank audience volume. It's unnecessary and frequently cancels suspension of disbelief. "Spaced" is a favorite series because there's no background laughter, like a stage performance viewers were permitted to decide for themselves what is funny and more often than not it was creasingly funny :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Always obvious innit, when laughter is 'canned' or exaggerated in some way, despite claims manipulation didn't occur. Every viewer/listener can recognize, even if it's at a subconscious level, when an engineer (or floor manager as you've pointed out) is instructed to artificially insert laughter/crank audience volume. It's unnecessary and frequently cancels suspension of disbelief. "Spaced" is a favorite series because there's no background laughter, like a stage performance viewers were permitted to decide for themselves what is funny and more often than not it was creasingly funny :)

Agreed because with a audience the script writers are somewhat surprised often when laughter occurs where there was no laughter meant. It also gages if an element of script needs changing ergo when the scene's filmed and where the laughter is expected it gives the writers an idea if the said part works or needs tinkering. You mentioned comedy without canned or live laughter. Again that's interesting as no two people find the same thing funny and you could find a situation where they are laughing at two different scenes entirely. Strange but true. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Its like Nietschze's school of bleedin philosophy in here now lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:40 pm

harryfaversham wrote:...Nietschze...

Gazoontite 8)
Dirty Old Yank