Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Why the big interest ?

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Why the big interest ?

Postby harryfaversham » Fri May 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Queue tugging jokes lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Queue tugging jokes lol

I haven't got round to my knocker yet but that's one or two for an other evening. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby harryfaversham » Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 pm

Kenneth Williams would b loving this conversation lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue May 28, 2013 2:43 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Kenneth Williams would b loving this conversation lol

Indeed, he was the one for an innuendo. How we all miss him so.... :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Tue May 28, 2013 7:21 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote: Indeed, he was the one for an innuendo. How we all miss him so.... :P

Well, his script writers were...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:37 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote: Indeed, he was the one for an innuendo. How we all miss him so.... :P

Well, his script writers were...

Correct. He was in fact the vehicle of some great comedy script writers but only he could have delivered them though. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:16 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Well said. Hey, There's been and is some dire so- called comedies over here recently which I wonder sometimes "what's the bleeding point"

Yes and one of those was Miranda. I watched 3 episodes and was left scratching my head. Do people over there really think she is funny? Apparently, she has a lot of fans who were disappointed when her show was finally axed. It couldn't happen soon enough, if you ask me. How many times can you laugh at an unattractive, oversized woman tripping over her own feet? :?:
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:My door's never shut. It's just that I've not used that much hence it's rusty, needs some oiling and a good pull. :P

Ewwww, thanks for the visual :?.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:My door's never shut. It's just that I've not used that much hence it's rusty, needs some oiling and a good pull. :P

Ewwww, thanks for the visual :?.

Thanks DOY. Don't say I'm not giving person. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Thanks DOY. Don't say I'm not giving person. :P

Hey, likewise and no worries. Do you folks get WD40? A common aerosol graphite grease.
Very effective though quite toxic, I'd discourage liberal application.
Actually, WD40 might not be up your street. Perhaps I should rephrase that :shock:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:32 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Thanks DOY. Don't say I'm not giving person. :P

Hey, likewise and no worries. Do you folks get WD40? A common aerosol graphite grease.
Very effective though quite toxic, I'd discourage liberal application.
Actually, WD40 might not be up your street. Perhaps I should rephrase that :shock:.

Yeah, we do. Coincidentally it's called the same thing here. WD40. What it means across the pond compared to the UK I don't know? Had to loose some nuts welded shut with 5yrs worth of rust, and you're right, it's very toxic as I breathed some in. I was semi conscious 30ft up a ladder thinking what a lovely day it was, and isn't the garden extra colourful, then realised my nuts were loose and a came too, and no I wasn't sexuallty excited at the vapours, I just realised where I was, 30ft up dangling off a scaffolding pole. It was very hairy at one point, and no I'm not talking about the obvious. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:30 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...WD40. What it means across the pond compared to the UK I don't know?...it's very toxic as I breathed some in. I was semi conscious 30ft up a ladder...the vapours...:shock:

You had the vapours? Reminiscent of one of my favorite Carry On scenes: a stunningly beautiful blonde bombshell nurse (Valerie von Ost) says, “Your baby hasn’t arrived yet.” And Charles Hawtry, suffering from an acute case of sympathetic pregnancy replies, “Should have done, I’ve been up all night with vapours!” and she gasps/clicks her tongue, that bit never stops being funny :o. A 30f ladder? "Twin Town" comes to mind, "Dai I'm going!" Crash :lol: Sorry, but I still adore that movie, regardless of any perceived/projected stereotypes. Anyway, thought you folks went metric ages ago. WD40 is as meaningless a term as Pantene Pro-V, an advertising slogan, nothing more.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:19 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...WD40. What it means across the pond compared to the UK I don't know?...it's very toxic as I breathed some in. I was semi conscious 30ft up a ladder...the vapours...:shock:

You had the vapours? Reminiscent of one of my favorite Carry On scenes: a stunningly beautiful blonde bombshell nurse (Valerie von Ost) says, “Your baby hasn’t arrived yet.” And Charles Hawtry, suffering from an acute case of sympathetic pregnancy replies, “Should have done, I’ve been up all night with vapours!” and she gasps/clicks her tongue, that bit never stops being funny :o. Up a 30f ladder? "Twin Town" comes to mind, "Dai I'm going!" crash :lol: Sorry, but I still adore that movie, regardless of any perceived/projected stereotypes. Anyway, thought you folks went metric ages ago. Chances are WD40 is as meaningless a term as Pantene Pro-V.

It goes with the territory. Brother's a Radio Ham see, and I'm the one responsible (or foolish enough) for ascending up the pole to twiddle with his vertical. Oh.. er... wait a mo... that sounds so dirty on thinking about it. I need a lie down, and ironically what I usually get when I fall off said ladder. I suffer for my art, and my art kills when I land on it. :?

Funny you should mention Twin Town. The supposedly Welsh answer to Trainspotting, but with sheep rather than Heroin. It was made here in Swansea, and was so full stereotypes it was ridiculous. The funny thing was that it featured actual Welsh actors such as Rhys Ifans and brother Llyr among many others. Usually they get some well known non Welsh actor/actress to put on an hammed up accent which usually sounds borderline Pakistani/Indian lol. :lol:

Regarding that scene mentioned in Carry On Nurse with Charles Hawtrey. Yeah loved it, but think you're referring to "Carry on again Nurse" with Valerie Von Ost, not Carry On Nurse which was the first medical comedy in the Carry On franchise way 1959 with the beautifully stunning Shirley Eaton, who I might add was very busy lady in the late fifties early sixties in British comedy movies. Also in Carry On again Nurse was the equally stunning and similarly named Valerie Leon. Boy was she pretty piece of well buttered crumpet. :P

Carry On again Nurse was the point where the franchise was arching over the hill of success down hill so to speak. Unfortunately it was Jim Dale's last Carry On too ( he said so in a recent interview). He was offered the part in Carry On Jungle as Tarzan (subsequently played by Terry Scott), was sent the script, and when he read through realised that he'd have to prance around semi naked in a revealing loin cloth, and put the nail in the coffin that the part had was virtually void of lines. So he politely refused the part, and that was the end of his Carry On appearances as the Producer & Director didn't take it too well which his refusal. Sad really, but Jim never looked back with his successful move to the US in movies, plays ect... :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Valerie von Ost must be in Carry On Doctor, she’s in the cast list. Unless I’m mistaken she’s the blonde nurse looking after Sid James who tries to get a kiss from her...the dirty devil :o. You didn’t mention Anita Harris, phwaor! Great fun that movie, every time I hear Bernie Bresslaw say “Evening Sister” in that Cockney accent I can’t help but think of Ian Dury singing “Superman’s Big Sister” in what appears to be the same tempo and key. And of course Frankie Howerd is brilliant, his character arc was very briefly recreated in a Simpsons episode when the home of Norman Vincent Peale (author of the bestselling pop-psychology "Power of Positive Thinking") is accidentally destroyed :lol:. The film came as a dvd double feature with Up the Khyber and neither have the commentary tracks which is frustrating to say the least. A Carry On Tarzan movie, what, like George of the Jungle? A favorite 1970's cartoon, classic Jay Ward silliness :D. Twin Town, if you’re offended by the film then maybe I’m wrong. I've never fallen off a ladder but got electrocuted off one once, quite a shock :shock:. Wish you hadn't mentioned Pakistani/Indian accents, you've made us hungry now; some palak paneer and basmati rice, a cup of Yorkshire tea, can't beat it 8).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Valerie von Ost must be in Carry On Doctor, she’s in the cast list. Unless I'm mistaken she’s the blonde nurse looking after Sid James who tries to get a kiss from her...the dirty devil :o. You didn't mention Anita Harris, phwoar! Great fun that movie, every time I hear Bernie Bresslaw say “Evening Sister” in that Cockney accent I can’t help but think of Ian Dury singing “Superman’s Big Sister” in what appears to be the same tempo and key. And of course Frankie Howerd is brilliant, his character arc was very briefly recreated in a Simpsons episode when the home of Norman Vincent Peale (author of the bestselling pop-psychology "Power of Positive Thinking") is accidentally destroyed :lol:. The film came as a dvd double feature with Up the Khyber and neither have the commentary tracks which is frustrating to say the least. A Carry On Tarzan movie, what, like George of the Jungle? A favorite 1970's cartoon, classic Jay Ward silliness :D. Twin Town, if you're offended by the film then maybe I'm wrong. I've never fallen off a ladder but got electrocuted off one once, quite a shock :shock:. Wish you hadn't mentioned Pakistani/Indian accents, you've made us hungry now; some palak paneer and basmati rice, a cup of Yorkshire tea, can't beat it 8).

DOY, just checked and she was only in the second film. As said, Carry On Nurse was the B&W film and he two main nurses featured in that one was the lovely Joan Sims and as said bond girl Shirley Eaton. She might have been in maybe Carry on again Doctor perhaps the one you're thinking about? She played the role as the Out-patient's sister, and also that film featured the very beautiful Swedish actress Yutte_Stensgaard who starred in Vampire Lovers. Carry On Again Doctor was the last of the medical Carry Ons, and that film featured the bubbling Doctor Nookey (Jim Dale) who was sent by the hospital medical board which included Doctor Carver (Kenneth Williams) to the hurricane prone tropical beatific Islands where he discovered Gladstone Screwer (Sid James), his numerous wives, and his wonder diet elixir. See pic of Valerie Von ost in said Carry on again Doctor holding an aged Joan Sims arm. :D

Talking about me falling off things. Yeah unfortunately my brother's got a back problem (work accident), so I'm the mug who climbs up ladders, goes up into the loft to do the dangerous stuff. Sometimes I think I deserve danger money for the things I do. Mind you, there's some fat spiders up in my attic believe me. Saw one once, and I swear it was big enough to put a saddle on. Anything that falls off its webby perch and make a noticeable thump, onto rockwool mind, deserves a wide berth in my eyes. :shock:

Regarding the movie Twin Town. No, didn't offend me but as said it just was so full of stereotypes it became a parody of itself. No one in Wales, that I know anyway, uses the term " Boyo" but it was in abundance in that film plus the usual Sheep joke, male voice choir and reference to Rugby which gets trawled out. Wales has more to offer than that believe me. Offended no, irritated yes. I wanted to laugh with the characters not be laughed at. Best Welsh comedy film made as mentioned was and still is Grandslam. It has similar elements to Twin Town with stereotypes, but big difference was how it was portrayed & projected. :)

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to The Curse of Steptoe