Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

And the next victim is...

BBC4 are broadcasting a documentary drama about the lives of Wilfred and Harry. What do you think ? Please let us have any comments about this programme

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

And the next victim is...

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:08 pm

Jimmy Saville. Apparently a documentary is soon to be screened implying he was a paedophile. As always, none of this came out when the people could be sued and I bet no evidence is actually offered.

But no doubt people will automatically believe it.

Shame.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: And the next victim is...

Postby Archie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:57 pm

I agree Phil I've no doubt he was a good bloke who actually done a lot for charity. I watched Jimmy on TOTP from the early 70's.
The docu will no doubt the usual sensationalist lie filled cobblers ! :x
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:12 pm

Welcome to 2012. Let the man rest in peace!!
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Another BBC piece on the subject of Savile appeared online today, the sort of "writing" that is most commonly described as 'damage control'. A defense that says essentially nothing while managing to promote wider interest.
When yanks Google search Wilf's name, the first prompt found at the bottom of the page is (or until very recently was) "wilfrid brambell paedophile".
How's that for offensive?
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:29 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Another BBC piece on the subject of Savile appeared online today, the sort of "writing" that is most commonly described as 'damage control'. A defense that says essentially nothing while managing to promote wider interest.
When yanks Google search Wilf's name, the first prompt found at the bottom of the page is (or until very recently was) "wilfrid brambell paedophile".
How's that for offensive?

At least they spelled it right!! ha ha
PhilGlass

Postby harryfaversham » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:07 pm

Did anyone watch the doc last nite?

harryfaversham

Postby nunky » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Looks like there is more truth to the accusations about Jimmy Saville than was first believed.
nunky

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:43 pm

nunky wrote:Looks like there is more truth to the accusations about Jimmy Saville than was first believed.

It seems that this is a different scenario as allegations were recorded with the police WHILST he was still alive - Newnight had done an expose but the BBC stopped it. This is all stuff that can be verified. This makes it a different case - my point with Steptoe is prove it, and say it when they're alive so you can be sued. With Jmmy Saville it seems people did both!

Also, I will not name him here as this site should not be used to fuel rumours, but a living "celebrity" (or big fat hasbeen to be precise) has also been named. He took an injunction to stop the press publishing, and failed, but it yet to sue. Interesting... I'd sue the crap out of them personally...
PhilGlass

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Its now coming out that he was accused of various things all the back to 1959.

harryfaversham

Postby bob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am

It now seems accepted that Saville did do all that he was accused of.

What seems incredible is that anybody who worked closely with him it knew it.

Janet Street Porter on Question Time recently said that while she was at the BBC she had heard the rumours. This means there where countless people who all knew and did nothing. She said that if a newspaper picked up on the story and threatened to run it, Saville would call the editor and threaten to stop all the charity money.

Personally I can’t see a fleet street editor stopping a story for this reason. This isn’t kiss and tell nonsense but a really important public interest story.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:26 pm

If Savile was guilty of multiple counts of statutory rape and lots of people knew it was occurring but said nothing, wouldn't that make them accessory's to a crime? Actually I'm pretty certain it would.
Keeping this sort of thing under wraps it quite common, examples include multiple accusations of sexual assault by Schwarzenegger (all conveniently swept under the metaphorical rug before his election) and the lad he fathered with a domestic. The kid is a teenager but it wasn't publicized till after Arnold left political office. I don't mean to critique Arnold exclusively. He's merely one of the more obvious examples of how wealth and power can dictate what "journalists" and their corporate employers disseminate.
At the end of the day, Savile as dirty old man is nothing more than a tidy diversion from real issues. I'll wager his face is plastered all over every tabloid, every Tesco's checkout aisle.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:34 pm

When Arnold first came to Britain in the 70s he was friendly with Jimmy Saville. They were involved with the wrestling scene.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:57 am

It teaches us to be very careful but who we make our heroes, and more importantly not to allow our liking for them, or fear of their position to allow us to make unjustified excuses for them.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:17 pm

I agree Bob. But does it change our liking for what they created? I never liked Savile's act anyway, but one good example is Barrymore. People who loved his act then, now say they can't stand him. Why? It's still funny. I think you can detest the person but like the art.

Cover ups are still all the range. Rochdale council and Greater Manchester police both got in to trouble for covering up (and supporting) a child prostitution ring (the police told the parents, "let them do it, they are willing, it's their choice" - these girls were 13!). It's now known that the teacher who abducted his pupil had groomed her using twitter and that the council knew of a sexual relationship between them and covered it up, He will face no charges whatsoever of child abuse even though she's 15.

So is a story like Savile's really a surprise? We now live in a "do what you want" Britain and it's only going to get worse. Things like this are now common place.

It just pains me that he escaped justice by dying, But those others in the "ring" will no doubt be watching the news now thinking "Oh s***", and dreading every knock on their door - hopefully this will bring to justice a lot of other people who are guilty.
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:46 pm

bob wrote:It teaches us to be very careful but who we make our heroes, and more importantly not to allow our liking for them, or fear of their position to allow us to make unjustified excuses for them.

Well said Bob! A philosophy that should be applied to States, celebrities and ourselves. Compassion should be the rule, but that doesn't imply willful ignorance.
Lots of the people I admire have passed on now, with age may sometimes come wisdom but this getting old business has limited appeal. At least with performers & writers we hopefully have records of their work. I'm expecting a George Carlin stand up performance soon, one I've not seen before. I miss him a lot. Frank Zappa too.
How I'd love to have met Harry & Wilf! I've often wondered, would I be able to articulate a meaningful question? Or just stand there, a slack jawed fan boy lolol "Uhh, may I have your autograph?"

What cheap tabloids are conveniently ignoring, is that Savile has been found guilty without a trial. Tried by the press (yellow journalism anyone?) and many people instantly, without a thought, accept it as gospel truth. That's dangerous.
Dirty Old Yank

Next

Return to The Curse of Steptoe