Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Open All Hours Christmas special

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Open All Hours Christmas special

Postby Archie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 pm

The beeb have made a one off special of the popular 70's comedy for Christmas :o
Should be good :)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/4 ... rs-Special
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Open All Hours Christmas special

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Archie wrote:The beeb have made a one off special of the popular 70's comedy for Christmas :o
Should be good :)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/4 ... rs-Special

Well, that's hope it turns out to be a good, well made and written special. As I'd hate to think, such a classic show, may only be remembered for something that maybe shouldn't have been made in the first place... (IMHO)
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Archie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:15 pm

It may become a full series - fingers crossed :o

http://tv.uk.msn.com/news/jason-back-fo ... -all-hours
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Archie wrote:It may become a full series - fingers crossed :o

http://tv.uk.msn.com/news/jason-back-fo ... -all-hours

I was thinking that very same thought. :wink:

I Watched the show's writer in BBC tv today (18th Dec) with original cast member and they are discussing of their hopes & fears of how fans old and new would take to the special after all these years and without the main focal point Arkright. They said also that they were mindful of the late great Ronnie Barker's contribution to the shows success and how they had a picture of him always in shot when Granville now heir to Arkright's dynasty (David Jason) who would talk to his picture in certain scenes, and how he has become Arkright incarnate with his son the stooge as he once was. I too hope this could be a birth of a series too which we all would love to see. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Archie » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Well I'm in two minds about this, it seemed a bit stale but the series would no doubt improve through time :|

Christmas telly is always pretty dire, the only gold ring in the dung heap was IMHO MOONFLEET with the always excellent Ray Winstone. Hope it comes out on DVD :o
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Archie wrote:Well I'm in two minds about this, it seemed a bit stale but the series would no doubt improve through time :|

Christmas telly is always pretty dire, the only gold ring in the dung heap was IMHO MOONFLEET with the always excellent Ray Winstone. Hope it comes out on DVD :o

Christmas TV went down hill post the demise of Morecambe & Wise/ Two Ronnies Xmas Specials ended I think, plus most of the classic comedy acts/actors have passed and what we've got now besides a few wet behind the ears excuse for comediennes are show unrecognisable from the TV of yesteryear which I loved and remember as a kid. Yes there were some exceptions but hey they were vintage repeats like Porridge Xmas specials or re runs of classic 1st episodes of cult shows like Crystal Maze, Bullseye, Knightmare series to name a few that stood out not to mention the usual Hollywood blockbuster movie like Indianna Jones that never gets stale and is always a hoot.

I Watched "Still open all hours" which was a nice retrospective of a much loved series, but the one who made that series what it is was the late Ronnie Barker and David Jason was a cog in that machine not the engine. I loved how they kept the same shop, how Granville basically morphed into Arkright and was his mini me of sorts but it being such a long time from the last series to now and with the main star gone (RIP-2005), sometimes shows are best kept in the past and remembered fondly at their height of success.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I turned over after 15 minutes... I am sorry but I hated it. David Jason must be short of cash that is the only reason I could imagne he would stoop so low... I LOVE the originals but think that this just wasn't right... sorry, just being honest.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I turned over after 15 minutes... I am sorry but I hated it. David Jason must be short of cash that is the only reason I could imagne he would stoop so low... I LOVE the originals but think that this just wasn't right... sorry, just being honest.

I think David Jason has reached the twilight years of his comedy career with the peak starting in the late sixties ending in the early nineties, and although a very good straight actor too as seen in his brilliant detective series Frost his recent come backs in comedy arena have been a pale shadow of his past career successes although this is largely down to script writers as to give him credit he's achieved all his goals as an actor, changing audience comedy tastes but more importantly than all those above time itself. I agree the show would have worked if the late and equally great Ronnie Barker was there but then with new audiences it would have struggled as did another David Jason's comedy comeback attempt "The Royal bodyguard (2011)" was a fair attempt and I tried to like it but it was a role 25 to 30yrs too late and David Jason's performance suffered because of the lack lustre script , a character and role that was tailor made and would have suited younger David Jason. :|

A fine example of something that was a good concept on paper but was a flop was the return of the 70s classic the Liver birds which ran for 9 series with number 10 brought back in 1996 nearly 18yrs after the last made in 1978. We all had the past images of two leggy girls in mini skirts full of beans but what we saw were two mature ladies now evidently older trying to be their past selves which in it's context didn't work. Some comedy revivals should be best left sleeping gently in the past so we can all reminisce fondly. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:28 pm

I thought "The Royal Bodyguard" was hilarious but like so many suffered from not having a laughter track. My parents are a fine example of that, without a studio audience it isn't a sitcom to them. They also had a pet dinosaur and remember when Cliff Richard was ten. OFAH flopped big time when it came out. I was devastated about news it might be coming back.. leave it alone.. for gawds sake mate.
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:31 am

PhilGlass wrote:I thought "The Royal Bodyguard" was hilarious but like so many suffered from not having a laughter track. My parents are a fine example of that, without a studio audience it isn't a sitcom to them. They also had a pet dinosaur and remember when Cliff Richard was ten. OFAH flopped big time when it came out. I was devastated about news it might be coming back.. leave it alone.. for gawds sake mate.

David Jason's performance is unquestionable as a comedy actor but this role was a little too late for him, maybe they should have made him a security guard at a retail store instead of a role that required a more physically active character, and regarding canned laughter I agree it's a right turn off as like you I don't need to be directed to what's funny or not because it spoils and reminds me of those cheap and cheerful blooper shows that are over produced and sadly over here. :roll:

I tend to agree too with your view regarding another OFAH short/special. My fear is a much loved series becoming stale which will be the final image we'll get if they don't get it right but I'm sure David Jason/Nicholas Lyndhurst are wise enough to realize that they must get it right and I'm sure whoever stars with then both from the original cast will pull it off for the fans but more importantly the late great John Sullivan and the actors who have past that helped make the series what it it. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 am

Patricia Routledge once said of "Keeping Up Appearances" .. "I will never do another for one simple reason: I would rather people come up to me in the street and say 'Arent you doing any more?' than have them say 'Oh, are you STILL doing that!". Sums it up really..
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Patricia Routledge once said of "Keeping Up Appearances" .. "I will never do another for one simple reason: I would rather people come up to me in the street and say 'Arent you doing any more?' than have them say 'Oh, are you STILL doing that!". Sums it up really..

Firstly if another series of any hit show is done it should be with in a period of 1 to 2 years as any longer they miss the boat and momentum is lost especially if a main character sadly passes on or other actors decide to do other projects and like with the shows I mentioned previously deciding to make a much loved show 20yrs later in some cases 30yrs is far too long.

Talking the return good or bad of classic series. I can remember in 1990 they actually filmed a return of the classic On the Buses series (ended 1974) called "Back on the Buses" and featured all the gang Mum, Olive, Stan, Jack and Blakey post the bus depot with a plot surrounding Blakey and Stan/Jack in competition in rival firms ect.... indeed it might have been Blakey with his own Bus firm and Stan & Jack with a small Taxi rank with the obvious rivalry and hilarities ensuing. Anyhow they they all appeared on the Wogan Show back in 1990 and said they were thinking of doing another series and actually filmed a pilot episode which is now gathering dust somewhere. I'd love to just view that pilot to see what it would have looked like as the actors most sadly gone looked as if they could have actually pulled it off and made it a success as the spark and love for the series they had in the 70s was still there when interviewed. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I guess from their point of view it is different, actors getting together, getting on and enjoying the past.. but does that blind them to what is good? I often think so. News reports from H's death imply a Steptoe series for 1983 which Galton and Simpson deny, but they DID HAVE BOOKINGS for the Steptoe and Son stage show (the Australian one, probably what the reporters meant)... would it have worked? Probably not... it was a different world.
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:16 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I guess from their point of view it is different, actors getting together, getting on and enjoying the past.. but does that blind them to what is good? I often think so. News reports from H's death imply a Steptoe series for 1983 which Galton and Simpson deny, but they DID HAVE BOOKINGS for the Steptoe and Son stage show (the Australian one, probably what the reporters meant)... would it have worked? Probably not... it was a different world.

The press ( He spits :roll: ) like to emphasise the bad even make up things for salacious. A good example was the recent BBC Steptoe biopic where untruths were made regarding Harry & Albert's alleged strormy relationship and how they hated each other plus other accusations made which were rightly refuted ( as we all know) in an open letter by the Harry H corbett estate who challenged the makers of that biopic that what they were showing as fact was a bag of lies. You've just got to see the Wilfrid interview shortly after Harry's tragic passing in 1982 on youtube to see how they cut it making him look callous indeed slightly patronising when talking about Harry but as we know the interview went on longer than the one shown. :|

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:10 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:The press ( He spits :roll: )...

Whoa, hang on, battered cod might be wrapped in that! ew.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Next

Return to Assorted Junk