Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Still Game

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Still Game

Postby here'syourshovel » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 am

Don't know if anybody has seen or even heard of this?

It's a Scottish sitcom, and it's my favourite British sitcom of the 21st century, I'd even put it up there with the greats. I only discovered it a few months back, and was immediately hooked. It aired 44 episodes over six series.

I wont say much more on it because if you've not seen it, then you should do so immediately. YT has the lot. If you have seen it what do you think of it?

Just thought I'd post this because I highly recommend it. I have the box set wrapped up under the Christmas tree, looking forward to cracking it open on Wednesday.

Here's a link to the wiki page with some critical response on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Game
"So i'm going to be bunged into an old peoples home, while you float around the world with five bits of crumpet"
here'syourshovel

Re: Still Game

Postby Archie » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Yes it's a good sitcom, Jack & Victor are great characters.
A couple of episodes were filmed here in Largs :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:21 pm

I've never seen it but it's sounds great, most likely shown just in Scotland but I could be wrong. :)

Talking rarely seen sitcoms. There were two series made in Wales that never saw the light of day outside Wales although one did have it's pilot shown in 1999 on network TV and were hilarious also. They were written by Welsh comic Actor/Writer Boyd Clack and produced by Only Fools and Horses Gareth Gwenlan called " Satellite City & High Hopes."

Satalite City (1996/99) ran for 3 series plus one Xmas special. ( Complete series available on DVD)

Synopsis: The setting was an imaginary small town in the South Wales Valleys. The plot centred on the arrival of Randy (Michael Neill), an American visitor, who was taken in by the Price family (but had to share a bed with pensioner Idris, played by Islwyn Morris. Randy soon formed a relationship with local girl Mandy (Shelley Miranda Barrett). The other main characters were Idris's son, Gwynne (played by Boyd Clack, who also co-wrote the series), Gwynne's wife Moira (Ri Richards), barman Dai (Rhodri Hugh), and Mandy's friend Bridget (Einir Sion), replaced in the final series by the character of Donna (Kirsten Clark). In the final episode Randy moved into his own house with Mandy. There are continual references to Idris's ferret Sylvester (his beloved pet), and he eventually discovers that it is, in fact, a girl ferret. :lol:

High Hopes (1999/2009) Ran for 6 series ( Currently unavailable on DVD)

Synopiys: Set in a fictional area of the South Wales Valleys called Cwm-Pen-Ôl (which is Welsh for 'Backside Valley'). It stars Margaret John ( of Gavin & Stacy fame plus many sitcoms) as widow Elsie Hepplewhite, Robert Blythe as her agoraphobic son Richard Hepplewhite, Steven Meo as Hoffman and Charlie Oliver Wood (formerly by actor Ben Evans who played the role from 2002/06 and Oliver Woods 2007/08) as Charlie. It revolves around Elsie's son Richard (known as Fagin) and his dodgy business ventures, assisted by the two boys, who attempted to rob the Hepplewhites' house in the first episode and they feel sorry for the pair of scallywags and decide to adopt them as Fagan's two apprentices dealing in dodgy goods, half inched items and things that fall of the back of lorries. It was similar to Only fools and Horses and not blowing my own trumpet as funny. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Archie » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:50 pm

Another superb BBC Scottish comedy was The Vital Spark about the roguish crew of a Clyde puffer led by Captain Para Handy played by actor / playwright Roddy Mc Millan.

Originally made in the 50's another series in colour appeared in the mid 70's, There were 6 episodes made but only 4 survive - plus a special with the crew singing Clyde boatman songs.
I don't know if it was shown outside Scotland, but the colour episodes are available on DVD. Steptoe fans will appreciate it as it was a kind of Steptoe at sea :o
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:32 pm

Archie wrote:Another superb BBC Scottish comedy was The Vital Spark about the roguish crew of a Clyde puffer led by Captain Para Handy played by actor / playwright Roddy Mc Millan.

Originally made in the 50's another series in colour appeared in the mid 70's, There were 6 episodes made but only 4 survive - plus a special with the crew singing Clyde boatman songs.
I don't know if it was shown outside Scotland, but the colour episodes are available on DVD. Steptoe fans will appreciate it as it was a kind of Steptoe at sea :o

Sounds very funny Archie, and another on the to watch list. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Archie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:55 pm

I found a few episodes on Youtube, this is my favourite one - enjoy :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yW-dyUwV28
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 am

Archie wrote:I found a few episodes on Youtube, this is my favourite one - enjoy :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yW-dyUwV28

Thanks Archie, I'll watch them and post my opinion. :D

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:29 am

Update " Vital Spark series:" Seen it Archie and thought it was very funny. The lead character yes has elements of a crusty Albert Steptoe and a bit like nearest and dearest's Jimmy Jewel too and I like the nautical theme and element s of the cast reminds me of last of the summer wine afloat. Checked too out of curiosity on eBay and it's been released I'm glad to say by Network DVD and is on sale. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Archie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I checked some prices on the net and one of the suppliers is asking £80 :shock:

The cheapest I could find was this one for around £20 including postage :o

http://www.panamint.co.uk/acatalog/PCM6006.html
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:31 am

Archie wrote:I checked some prices on the net and one of the suppliers is asking £80 :shock:

The cheapest I could find was this one for around £20 including postage :o

http://www.panamint.co.uk/acatalog/PCM6006.html

Thanks Archie for the link, Yeah some do inflate the prices to the point of it being a joke ans besides the site you've linked I've found some around the similar prices quoted between £20 to £24.99 on eBay which as you pointed out is way better than the £80. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:39 am

Yes I love Still Game, I've got all the DVD's and I've been re-watching it on YT aswell as the live shows.

The actors from Still Game started out in Chewing the Fat and went from there,
in a similar way to that other Glaswegian Comedy Rab C. Nesbitt his character started in Naked Video.

Plus as the scottish tv is a small world if you watch Still Game you can spot Rab C. Nesbitt actors and Vica Versa.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Return to Assorted Junk