Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Remake of Dads Army movie

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Remake of Dads Army movie

Postby Archie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:38 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27178025

A new version of the classic BBC comedy Dads Army movie is being made, starring some bloke I've never heard of as Capt Mainwearing :shock:
Sadly I think this is a bad idea and will be a disaster :|
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Remake of Dads Army movie

Postby THE VICAR » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:18 pm

"im not sure on this one as im a big dads army fan as I am Steptoe and son fan. would Steptoe work as a remake today as fans of these shows were so used to Arthur Lowie clive dunn harry h Corbett and wilfrid brambell in the parts im not sure but I would like to see jimmy perry write some of it but hes not going to the stage plays they did wore good I wish id seen the Steptoe one . :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby steptoe and son scrap » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:36 pm

I Hate the idea of this leave it as it is the original :D
Albert Steptoe: 'Ere, that's a What the Butler Saw machine!

Harold Steptoe: Ah, you recognize it! Takes you back to your lecherous youth, does it?

You're worse than a fly 'round a cow's arsehole.
steptoe and son scrap

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri May 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Green lit without a script? Not encouraging.
If David Mamet wrote it, he wouldn't enjoy that privilege. Orson Welles wouldn't.
Frankly, that news item bears a closer resemblance to tabloid nonsense than fact.
But if it is true, here’s hoping it’s excellent, break a leg, looking forward to it :D
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 14, 2014 5:39 pm

Although I like Toby Jones and admire Bill Nighy as an actors I'm not sure how this would work with this possible remake of Dad's Army the Movie. The reason the series and subsequent 70s movie was a hit was because of the brilliant writing and obviously the vintage cast who made this series so enjoyable. Back in 1992 they tried to do a similar reboot the Carry On franchise with some of the original team alive mixed with some then current comedians and although funny in parts was a pale shadow of the original. I don't want this possible film to cast a shadow on a near perfect show . Hopefully makers will ensure it's well written , there's no smut or swearing and it complimented the original format. If not don't make it. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:04 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hopefully makers will ensure it's well written , there's no smut or swearing and it complimented the original format. If not don't make it. :|

I agree, 100% - keep it true to the original concept, without making it just a rehash of what came before... and updating it for 'modern audiences' who I'm sure nobody would want... would want for example, Private Walker effing and blinding and suchlike! It could be ok, if it didn't come across as a swipe at the way people already know and love it. Doing that, wouldn't gain it any fans and I really can't see them intending it to come across that way.

Dad's Army is one of my favourite comedies.. there are few that I would say I like more (with just one obvious exception :wink: .) Looking at the cast list, I think it's very good indeed and have more hope for this than I usually would with remakes; I did give one of the Steve Martin Pink Panther's a chance but yearned to get my DVDs out of the Peter Sellers originals (I saw the Alan Arkin one on TV when I was young and thought it was ok - not so sure if I would today.)

Remakes, if there is a point to them - then it's fine and there looks like there might be to this as it follows on from when they were disbanded, rather than trying to make it another 'episode' in the same time-frame. I will be looking at this with interest and if it gets decent reviews, I might even go to the cinema to see it... not something I've ever done on my own (the missus isn't a DA fan. :) )
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:46 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hopefully makers will ensure it's well written , there's no smut or swearing and it complimented the original format. If not don't make it. :|

I agree, 100% - keep it true to the original concept, without making it just a rehash of what came before... and updating it for 'modern audiences' who I'm sure nobody would want... would want for example, Private Walker effing and blinding and suchlike! It could be ok, if it didn't come across as a swipe at the way people already know and love it. Doing that, wouldn't gain it any fans and I really can't see them intending it to come across that way.

Dad's Army is one of my favourite comedies.. there are few that I would say I like more (with just one obvious exception :wink: .) Looking at the cast list, I think it's very good indeed and have more hope for this than I usually would with remakes; I did give one of the Steve Martin Pink Panther's a chance but yearned to get my DVDs out of the Peter Sellers originals (I saw the Alan Arkin one on TV when I was young and thought it was ok - not so sure if I would today.)

Remakes, if there is a point to them - then it's fine and there looks like there might be to this as it follows on from when they were disbanded, rather than trying to make it another 'episode' in the same time-frame. I will be looking at this with interest and if it gets decent reviews, I might even go to the cinema to see it... not something I've ever done on my own (the missus isn't a DA fan. :) )

There's been so many remakes/reboots that's flopped recently i.e remake of the classic St Trinians, Pink Panther, Bilko films for example, and when I heard of a remake I thought "oh no", but on seeing the cast had a second thought as it would be career suicide if they dragged the honest humour of the series into the 00's Big Brother trash TV gutter. Hopefully it'll be done in a true homage style to pay tribute to the creators & actors who blessed our screens who are now sadly gone. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby rose » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:41 pm

I've seen Toby Jones in this and that over the years; mainly stuff I saw when I was younger like the remake of St Trinians and a film called Ever After which was rather Cinderella like; I've not really seen him as a man in charge in anything. Mr Nighy always has a bit of class about him so I am not too worried about him. I am a little worried about Danny Mays as Private Walker as I always saw him as a bit of a ladies man and Danny Mays can come across as more creepy than charming.

I am quite sure that I have never heard of or seen the new 'Pike' in anything though. Blake Harrison might need a bit of 'google research'. I am not too sure about Michael Gambon and his role especially with his health not so good at the moment and struggling with lines.

Rose
You've been at my threpney bits!
rose

Return to Assorted Junk