Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Still Open All Hours

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Still Open All Hours

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:30 pm

So, who's seen it?
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Re: Still Open All Hours

Postby Uncle Nobby » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Its an abomination. Not a patch on the original and Granville has just turned into Arkwright!

David Jason - The Quest for More Money!
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:Its an abomination. Not a patch on the original and Granville has just turned into Arkwright!

David Jason - The Quest for More Money!

Arkwright turned Granville to the dark side. It was inevitable that he would since Granville had nowhere else to go.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 am

Nice to see the BBC used the very same street and shop from the new "Still Open All Hours" series. Also great to see some original cast members reprise their roles after many years, including the great David Jason (Granville), who's now morphed into what he feared. His uncle Arkwright. I also liked the fact how they put a picture of Arkwright ( Ronnie Barker) overseeing the shop as a tribute to the great lamented comedy genius, but did think the creators miscast some new characters. I'd have prefered Johnny Vegas as David Jason's son, Leroy, rather than the actor chosen (James Baxter). Vegas is naturally funny, where the actor chosen struggled I felt. I also found new characters "Cyril" ( Kulvinder Ghir) was hilarious and "Mrs Hussein" (Nina Wadia) unfunny. Sad really as she was superb in series "Goodness Gracious Me, as did friend and co-star Kulvinder Ghir", but I loved how Tim Healy's (Auf Wiedersehen Pet/Benidorm ) talents were utilised. Yes, the series will never be the original, there were some funny storylines, but compared with most on TV today was a classic. Says a lot about the state of today's comedies, and the very reason why I long for the good old days of Steptoe and Co. :|
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to Assorted Junk