Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Another potential disaster.

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Another potential disaster.

Postby Archie » Tue May 17, 2016 6:11 pm

They are planning to remake a couple of Carry On movies :roll:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... spartandhp

The last 2 was a dreadful one about archaeologists in a caravan site then Carry On Columbus which I never watched. Why do they try and re make classic comedies, have they run out of ideas ?.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Another potential disaster.

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 pm

Archie wrote:They are planning to remake a couple of Carry On movies :roll:
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/ ... spartandhp

The last 2 was a dreadful one about archaeologists in a caravan site then Carry On Columbus which I never watched. Why do they try and re make classic comedies, have they run out of ideas ?.

It's all about making money, or at least, trying to make money, at the end of the day... They will go wherever they think they can find an audience/punters... Unfortunately for me (and tons of others, I'd suspect), it's the world we live in... Being money motivated, I mean...

I don't follow it/get taken in by it, thankfully, but sadly, others do...

We all need money... But just choose carefully, what you spend it on... Don't be enticed, into spending it on something you don't want or need...

Be a leader, not a follower. And if you can't be a leader, think very carefully before you choose who to follow...

Now read a quote by me, below (which has been there for years)... ;-)
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 pm

If there’s anything encouraging about this news, it’s the possibility of the participants being paid properly for their efforts. As we all know the original cast were taken to the cleaners but were compensated by the huge laughter and camaraderie. Encouraging too is that Jonathan Sothcott is producing. He claims that, “We are looking to create a whole new ensemble of brilliant British comedic actors. No stunt casting. No big American stars. This will be British film at its best, as the truly remarkable heritage deserves.” Unfortunately, that is precisely why any Carry On without the original cast is unlikely to succeed; those folks weren’t just brilliant, they’ve become timeless archetypes. There’s no lack of comedy talent in the UK so the heaviest responsibility probably lies with the screenwriters, they better be at the top of their game and no mistake. It might seem intolerant to assume any remake won’t work, but is it really? Can anyone name a remake of a classic movie that wasn’t a total disaster? I can think of only two: The Man Who Knew Too Much and Evil Dead II. Of course we’re all hoping these 2 new Carry On’s will be an exception to the rule and wish them all the best, break a leg! :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue May 17, 2016 9:50 pm

There's no reason why the films shouldn't be released, just don't do it off the back of the classic Carry On... film series.

Don't have Carry On... in the title, at all...

That won't happen, of course, because, ultimately, the 2 forthcoming films, will hope to make their money, certainly initially, off the back of the classic Carry On... series.
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 18, 2016 8:52 am

You’re right of course Pixel, but we shouldn’t lay blame exclusively at the door of filmmakers themselves, it’s the nature of the beast these days. As you’re undoubtedly aware, thanks to decades of back-hander funded lawmakers conspicuously ignoring/decimating anti-trust regulations, we now find a mere handful of multinational conglomerates, who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near the subject of art since businessmen are cut of an entirely different cloth, controlling most of the entertainment industry. And precious few of them are willing to take a financial risk on anything that isn’t a guaranteed profit. The collapse of the studio system here in the late 1960’s permitted a renaissance in American cinema* in the 1970’s that lasted until unfathomably profitable tripe like Star Wars brought the attention of corporations to the industry and they started buying everything in sight. Now it’s virtually impossible to find studio financing, unless the product is something they can understand (yeah, good luck) and is a sure win, which results in (for example) endless movie franchises based on superhero comicbooks :roll:. Speculating here, but maybe that’s why we’re seeing these new Carry On’s, maybe that’s what it took to get financing, it’s a brand name the public recognizes. It’ll be interesting to read what Robert Ross has to say about all this** as they should bring a renewed interest to the classic originals.
It’s very difficult to imagine how they hope to re-create the Carry On genre in a climate of 'political correctness'.
* Archie, speaking of 70’s cinema which I know you enjoy, I recently found a second hand copy of “Serpico.”
Good film innit 8).
** It seems Ross is acting as adviser on the films, suggests he's already read the first script and is chuffed: http://www.robertross.co.uk/news.php. Now that is encouraging :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 pm

I always love reading your posts, DOY. You're great at putting your points across.

I really would love the films to succeed, but I really do think, they'll be a failure, certainly under the banner of Carry On.... There are way too many people still around, that remember the classics fondly, that'll despise any thought of carrying on the series... (although I appreciate, the makers are after a new audience for the forthcoming two films and anything that may follow in the future...)

I know they're trying to introduce the genre to a new audience, but a series of films under another (new) banner, using well know comedic actors around right now, could work better... At least, then if they fail, they won't then be associated with our beloved classic Carry On... series...
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu May 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Cheers Pixel, we all enjoy your posts too. That’s the great thing about Bob’s forum, I’m permitted the opportunity to edit my comments, spontaneity not required :o. I’m afraid I have to agree with your cloudy forecast for this new Carry On project. As you say, there are far too many folks, old and young, that adore the original movies and iconic cast. They’re still regularly broadcast on telly, aren’t they? Besides ridiculous notions of ‘political correctness’, dramatically altered social mores are something the filmmakers will, presumably, have to cope with. The possibility of these 2 pictures falling flat on their face, and the public instantly recognizing and resenting it, is like a yawning abyss waiting to swallow up everyone involved. Except of course those key individuals who’ll walk away with huge fees whether the films flop, or not.
On the other hand, agreed again, we’re all sincerely wishing for the very best! This might just work, but let’s face it, not on a level equivalent with the original films, that simply is not possible. What have we got so far? Robert Ross suggests he’s read the first script and approves, and if there’s a Carry On traditionalist around, it’s him. We’ve got Jonathan Sothcott who’s also a genre historian. Their presence does promote high hopes. To re-enter the beloved Carry On realm is a serious responsibility. Here’s hoping the filmmakers don’t abuse the public’s trust and that they’re able to find a sensible worldwide distributor.

Reading my comments back I feel like a cantankerous old fart, but the truth is.....I’m actually quite excited.
About the new films I mean, tsk :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu May 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Yeah, heard abut this on the BBC Website. Crazy. Britain has the comic talent to fill such a franchise, yes (See new Dads Army Film) , but times & attitudes have changed sadly. I can't see films made for today's audiences that use seaside humour. They would create films with overtly sexual content akin to the Confessions series but 1000 times stronger with explicit language & violence. Okay if you want that sort of thing but not suitable for a family audience such as the classic Carry Ons are (with the exception of some late 70s films i;e Carry On England & Emanuel of course).

An attempt was made with the 31st Carry On reboot in 1992 with Columbus. It was a fair film, has the original director/producer and some cast members mixed with a spattering of new wave comedians of the day, but that failed to capture audiences imagination unfortunately. The nearest modern Carry On franchise ever was the 80s/90s American Police Academy Movies with 7 films, but even that was borderline with its adult content & language mentioned. Not sure about this one. Personally I think times moved on. Carry Ons are best left to the glorious past.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon May 23, 2016 9:15 am

Perhaps it'll be like the St Trinians remakes.

Were they any good?
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri May 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:Perhaps it'll be like the St Trinians remakes.

Were they any good?

The original St Trinians films with Alistair Sims/George Cole, yes. The recent remakes, no. They modern rehashes were crap. Re Carry Ons. It depends how they approach them. If they learn from the golden era of Carry On possibly with the right blend of actors. If they go the latter 70s route with Emanuelle with too much sex, language to compete with other similarly crude films of today it will be a financial disaster and a certain flop.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to Assorted Junk