Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Bottom

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Bottom

Postby mildredthecat » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Does anyone else notice the similarity between the comedy Bottom starring Ade Edmonson and Rik Mayal and Steptoe and Son?
Both 'couples' live in squalor, both are males who seem to hate each others guts but we can tell they don't really. they never seem to have any money and cant get a woman who sticks around long.
There's also a similarity in some of the episodes, when both couples play chess and substitute the chess pieces for other items, namely ketchup. one of them breaking their leg, dressing as a woman etc.
or maybe it's just me.....?
mildredthecat

Re: Bottom

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:29 am

Welcome Mildred. Though a fan of Rik & Ade, their roles in The Young Ones and Blackadder are favorites, I’ve only seen the first episode of Bottom and can’t answer your question. But the subject of shows being influenced by Steptoe has been examined in detail in another forum thread you might enjoy:
http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=510&sid=c8e04f447e16847be502cb2c467826e4
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Bottom

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:24 pm

Bottom S1 to 3 was so funny lol. I miss Rick Mayall as an actor so much, and his passing was so unfair. He brought so much joy in his career. My favourite Bottom story was S3 Halloween episode called Terror which featured the quote sprouts of evil lol. The part where they all (Eddy, Richie, Spud-gun & Mike) drank Eddy's evil looking special-brew in that bath, then ate the vile concoction Richie made, then subsequently falling down semi conscious farting fire like a flame throwing American GI in the jungles of Vietnam. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Return to Assorted Junk