Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Are You Being Served / Porridge remakes

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Are You Being Served / Porridge remakes

Postby Archie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Well; these half hour remakes were on the Beeb last night, Are You was awful terrible acting and crude un funny jokes :roll:

Porridge was actually surprisingly amusing :o

I'm still dreading the Steptoe remake !.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Are You Being Served / Porridge remakes

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:16 pm

I refuse to watch AYBS as it is trying to be the old series, with impersonations etc.

Porridge however was a new sitcom in itself, with new characters. This is fine. I thought it was really good and would watch a series.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: AYBS / Porridge / Alf Garnett / Hancock / Steptoe remake

Postby Graham_S nli » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:19 pm

Its been a longtime since I was last on here.....

AYBS ?

bleeding awful...

Porridge ?

Kevin Bishop was quite engaging as Fletch's grandson and the writers wrote the new episode and updated it enough for it to be worth a series IMO....

Alf Garnett ?

A bit dated with a phonebox based episode, quite good imitations of the original characters but "Alf" was so so for me....

Hancock ?

Listened to a few of the radio remakes with Kevin McNally and he's quite good as the lad himself in this as well, a decent remake, although a minor player in the Hancock series, Robin Sebastian seems to make a living at playing Kenneth Williams these days...

Steptoe ?

They called it "The Lost Sitcoms" ..... This episode isn't lost.... We have Ray and Alan to thank for taping (on an antiquated machine) the "wiped" episodes.... I've obviously watched it already and can make a comparison....

Both actors although not on a par with Harry or Wilfred were quite good IMO but then again I also enjoyed the stage show "Murder in Oil Drum Lane" TEN years ago..... That was a new script by Ray Galton and John Antrobus instead of Alan Simpson... Watched it THREE times in total..... great stuff

Jeff Rawle was a far better Albert than Harry Dickman from that stage show but I enjoyed Jake Nightingale more than Ed Colman's interpretation of Harold in this remake....

There was also an early "Hycinth Bucket" prequel which I quite enjoyed although it tended to get bad reviews....

Only one I could see returning to screen as a new series is "Porridge"....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Re: Are You Being Served / Porridge remakes

Postby Archie » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Good to see you back Graham, yes I agree a Porridge new series could work :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Return to Assorted Junk