Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Favourite Comedys

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Favourite Comedys

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:49 am

Archie wrote:Phil Silvers Show - Bilko

I love Bilko, except for the Steve Martin film, yuck! I also love "Top Cat" which, if you watch, is just an animated remake of Bilko. :)
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:58 pm

Hadn't thought in terms of animated series', would add to my list of favorite comedies:
Rocky and Bullwinkle. A 1960s hour long prime time cartoon originally intended for adults. Crude production values as was always the case with Jay Ward studios, but featured some of the best voice over talent and worst puns imaginable. One particularly memorable pun....Boris Badenov in another futile attempt to "Kill moose and sqvirell, beh heh heh!" tries to electrocute Bullwinkle. Before the commercial break the always overamped announcer says, "Tune in next time to 'Moose Gets the Juice' or ''Mourning Becomes Electra.....cuted.'" GROAN :roll:
Jay Ward shows were sometimes great fun; Super Chicken, Tom Slick, Fractured Flickers etc.
Warner Bros cartoons of the 30's & 40's were the Grail of animation though, way funnier and than Disney.
Haven't seen Bilko in ages, Silvers was always hilarious regardless of role but brilliant in "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" :)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Haven't seen Bilko in ages, Silvers was brilliant in "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" :)

One of the funniest movies ever, the scene where the truck driver wrecks the gas station always has me roaring :D
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Just ordered the DVD, only £4 online :o
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:58 pm

The truck driver who, bare handed, razes Ray & Irwin's petrol station to the ground within minutes, is Jonathan Winters, a comedy genius and national treasure.
Winters was a regular guest on Jack Parr's original (pre-Carson) Tonight Show. Parr, himself a widely respected thinks-on-his-feet satirist, is reputed to have described the difficulty of keeping pace with Winters this way, "Ad libbing with Jonnie is like shoveling smoke, you just can't do it."
Mad World is the historic film that asks, how many comic geniuses can fit in one picture? How many preposterously dangerous stunts? Do we really need to fly a plane through a billboard? Do we need to see Ethel Merman's knickers? :shock:
The production was so huge and highly touted, a theatre was built for its premiere: the Cinerama Dome.
And as a coda, Phil Silvers (in full body plaster, every bone broken) gets to thumb his nose at the audience. Brilliant! lolol
Coincidentally, the owner of the hardware store basement that gets completely demolished ("....You vandals!") was a Jay Ward regular and narrator of Fractured Fairy Tales, Edward Everett Horton.
Love that movie. There's been many home video versions of various lengths but the widescreen double tape VHS that replaced the extensive edited footage back into the picture is a favorite. Wiki suggests restoration expert Robert A. Harris is working on a definitive edition, whether or not that's true remains to be seen. Be sure to see the hour long Mad World documentary, "Something A Little Less Serious", it's excellent :)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I've seen the guy who plays the truck driver in several US comedies :o I recall him in 'Mork & Mindy' playing their child bizarelly..learning to walk falling over and crying great stuff :)
Archie

Postby harryfaversham » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:25 pm

The Inbetweeners is quite popular nowadays but I just find it vulgar
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Archie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Archie wrote:Just ordered the DVD, only £4 online :o

Mad Mad DVD arrived today - I'll watch it on Sat afternoon with a wee drink :wink:
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Archie wrote:Mad Mad DVD arrived today - I'll watch it on Sat afternoon with a wee drink :wink:

Bit o' libation eh? For shame! lolol
Be sure to turn the volume up...LOUD :D
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Archie wrote:Mad Mad DVD arrived today - I'll watch it on Sat afternoon with a wee drink :wink:

Bit o' libation eh? For shame! lolol
Be sure to turn the volume up...LOUD :D

Every summer Saturday I listen to heavy metal CDs in the back garden with the volume turned up :twisted:

I would hate to be my neighbours :twisted:
Archie

Postby Tom Jones » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Hadn't thought in terms of animated series', would add to my list of favorite comedies:
Rocky and Bullwinkle. A 1960s hour long prime time cartoon originally intended for adults. Crude production values as was always the case with Jay Ward studios, but featured some of the best voice over talent and worst puns imaginable. One particularly memorable pun....Boris Badenov in another futile attempt to "Kill moose and sqvirell, beh heh heh!" tries to electrocute Bullwinkle. Before the commercial break the always overamped announcer says, "Tune in next time to 'Moose Gets the Juice' or ''Mourning Becomes Electra.....cuted.'" GROAN :roll:
Jay Ward shows were sometimes great fun; Super Chicken, Tom Slick, Fractured Flickers etc.
Warner Bros cartoons of the 30's & 40's were the Grail of animation though, way funnier and than Disney.
Haven't seen Bilko in ages, Silvers was always hilarious regardless of role but brilliant in "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" :)

I haven't seen Rocky and Bullwinkle for over 20 years; I always use to watch their show every evening, (ah the memories come flooding back)
Spot on about Silvers, I saw a few episodes of The Phil Silvers Show a few months ago and even with passage of time it’s still hilarious.
Time to pull out the It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World DVD again to enjoy his brilliance.
Tom Jones

Postby harryfaversham » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:04 pm

He was a genius

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:59 am

Tom Jones wrote:I haven't seen Rocky and Bullwinkle for over 20 years; I always use to watch their show every evening, (ah the memories come flooding back)

A giant treasure chest falls on Boris Badenov.
Natasha: "Don't worry dahlink, this is only cartoon! Are you all right?"
Boris (struggling beneath chest): "Natasha, I just found out what happens when a cartoon chest falls on a cartoon character."
Natasha: "What?"
Boris: "It hurts!!!"
Love those bits of metatext/winks at the audience, Jay Ward shows were full of them :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Bring back Foghorn Leghorn lol

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Bring back Foghorn Leghorn lol

Another Warner Bros classic, voiced by the redoubtable, incredible Mel Blanc and scored by one of the most influential yet least recognized composers of the 20th century, Carl Stalling.
A Foghorn Leghorn lexicon...
"Daw...I say, I say dawg!" = dog.
"Ow...I say, I say ow!" = that hurts.
"I say, parlez vous francais!" = do you speak French. :o
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Junk