Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Carry On London

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Carry On London

Postby Rian » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:58 am

As we all know Harry was the main character in "carry on screaming" and Wilfrid make a small appreance in "Carry on again doctor"
But what does everyone think of the news of there being a NEW carry on film to be relesaed at the end of this year,

Are you pleased and is anyone a carry on fan >?
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 pm

I like some of them, not others. Remmeber when they did Carry On Columbus? That was originally meant as a 'comeback' but to me it didn't really work. It would have to have some big names in it for me to be persuaded to see it... any idea who's doing it?
PhilGlass

Postby thrupnybit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:21 pm

Just did a quick search and Shane Richie is in it... not sure how to take that news.... :(
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

Postby Rian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 am

yeah me too :roll:
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:10 pm

A new Carry on film?
Oh dear.
They'll never be able to capture that saucy banter, that seaside postcard humour and the simple innocent naughtiness that was their humour and what made the films work so well. That's from a time long gone by.

Steptoe works today because the people are real, the situations are believable and the quality of the writing and acting are very high.

The Carry on films relied on innuendo and double entendre and featured one dimensional characters. That said, I loved the Carry on films - with a few exceptions - and have seen them all - except Columbus.

I especially love Carry on Screaming and watched it again last week when I ran out of new Steptoes to see. Felt the part H played was really written for Sid James.

Still don't understand the ending - the final bit when Emily Bung (now a shop dummy) winks at the camera. It didn't seem to make any sense.
Nobody could have survived "frying tonight" without being 'regenerated' and we know this didn't happen in Emily's case.

Perhaps I need to get out more.
thatsthatthen

Return to Assorted Junk