Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Get Yer Titters Out!!!

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Get Yer Titters Out!!!

Postby Sven Donkers » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:02 pm

What did everyone think of Walliams's effort as Frankie Howerd in the last installment of the "curse of" series on BBC4?
Personally i found it quite entertaining but after recommending it to my grandmother, i sat uncomfortably as i watched the sex scenes which were quite graphic! :shock: (i guess i'm just a prude!)
I spoke to my gran the day after and she said she found it very entertaining and was glad that he "was at least getting some!"
(her words...not mine!) :roll:

In short, i found it the most entertaining of the series although Trevor eve did a brilliant job as Hughie Green.

Love to all,

Sven and wife Ingaborg xxx
Sven Donkers

Postby bob » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I really enjoyed the Frankie episode. I didn’t think that Walliams captured the voice or look as well as Trevor Eve with Hughie Green, but I think he portrayed him very sympathetically.

I remember reading Bob Monkhouse’s autobiography he gave further evidence of the fact that Frankie’s sexual advances lacked any subtlety. He obviously just played the percentage game, drop your trousers in front on enough men and someone’s bound to bite (no pun intended).

I must be becoming a bit of a prude myself, but I found myself screaming for the sex scenes to stop.

What about the guy who played Peter Cook (another hero of mine), I thought you might have had something to say about that Sven ?

Have you been fishing lately ?

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Sven Donkers » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:14 am

Hi Bob,
Have not been fishing lately as Ingaborg has the flu!
:wink: :wink:

The guy who played Cook in the bbc series "not only but always"
was fantastic. His name is Rhys Iffans and he was also in Notting hill with hugh grant. Iv'e never seen anyone capture cook's mannerisms and persona so well.
The chap who played dudley was also good.
Sven Donkers

Postby thatsthatthen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 pm

I found the Frankie Howerd one the least watchable of the four.
Walliams was dreadful. He's just not a great actor.
You came away thinking: if that's what Howerd was like on stage how on earth did he become so famous? Was it really all just down to some great writing?

Of course not! It wasn't easy viewing, nor was it particularly entertaining; though I did learn something I hadn't known before: Howerd's baldness!

Looing back, the Hancock one, while largely true to Joan's book (Lady Don't Fall Backwards...ha ha! great title from the Hancock episode The Last Page), still failed to hit the mark.
Ken Stott's voice.
urgh!

I seem to remember enjoying more Alfred Molina's portrayal (gosh - way back in 1991!). I've got this on vhs somewhere - must dig it out and transfer it.

Well, the Curse of Comedy season was a bit of an anti-climax for me, however, it did encourage me to watch the Steptoe series (of which I'd been pretty much unaware before).

My favourite other dramas I think must be the wonderful Kenneth Williams Fantabulosa, the scary Fear of Fanny (about Fanny Craddock) and of course Not Only But Always... about Pete and Dudley.
Can't believe I picked up that one on DVD in the pound shop!! Crazy!
thatsthatthen

Sellers

Postby Sven Donkers » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:57 pm

Another good one, though not associated with the BBC, was the life and death of peter sellers with Geofferey Rush in the title role.
I found it very well made and it had some great guest stars like the wonderful Miriam Margolyes as Peters mum and the lovely Charlize Thearon as Britt Eckland. (excuse my spelling :lol: )

I recommend it to all...a jolly good way to spend a few idle hours!
Sven Donkers

Postby bob » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:34 am

I had forgotten about Not Only, But Always” is was excellent and the portrayals were very believable. I can’t believe I didn’t record this !!!!

And I do remember Alfred Molina as Hancock, certainly more believable than Ken Stott.

Frankie’s baldness was as legendary as his anger if anybody mentioned it. I think that element of the programme would have Frankie spinning in his grave more so than the gay sex scenes.

What didn’t come across was that Frankie was a naturally funny man. Even when he was very serious about something or not feeling to good the way he explained himself to others caused them to smile or laugh. It was the way he told it.

Griff Rhys Jones also tells a great story where Frankie sat down with his team of writers after a show and slowly went around the table asking them what they thought of the show. As each individual gave their assessment Frankie would be listening nodding and say thing like, “oh yes” and “I see” using his usual vocal range. At the end of it Frankie turns to them all and says “Well let me tell you what I thought of it …….. IT WAS CRAP” !!!!

On a personal note Sven, I am sorry that Ingaborg isn’t well, but it’s nice she has you to look after her.
bob
Site Admin

Thankyou Bob...

Postby Sven Donkers » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:51 pm

Thankyou for your kind concern for my dear Ingaborg.
She is much better now, though she's still taking a pint of cod liver oil every hour just to be on the safe side! :wink:
Sven Donkers

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:33 pm

I recently saw it on a dvd my mate recorded as I shyed away from it originally as I can not stand David Walliams. I am not sure how accurate the script was, we cna only assume the same amateur writing that went into the 90% made up Steptoe episode happened here, but it is 'common knowledge' that Frankie was a bit of a bastard, but then it is 'common knowledge' that Wilf and Harry hated each other yet we have evidence to the contrary...

Either way, I am a big fan of Frankie (another reason I didnt watch it as I saw the bad job they did with the Steptoe one) and I think the 'Frankie On Campus' video is pure genius.

As for what goes on behind the scenes, does it matter? As long as its legal, that's their business. Look at Michael Barrymore - everyone said he was the funniest man alive, but there's one whiff of scandal and everyone says he was never funny... hmm so who were those 20 million viewers??

In short, (was that short?????) I thought that episode was as crap as the rest of them and for the BBC to be producing such a thing shows the low level they have fallen to.
PhilGlass

Return to Assorted Junk