Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Carry on dvd's

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Carry on dvd's

Postby Rian » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:17 pm

The carry on dvd's are going for a great price at the moment if anyone is intrested? Ive just ordered a carry on boxset containing 18"carry ons" for just £17.99!! including the movies

Carry On Don't Loose Your Head
Carry On Follow That Camel
Carry On Doctor
Carry On Up The Khyber
Carry On Camping
Carry On Again Doctor
Carry On Up The Jungle
Carry On Loving
Carry On Henry
Carry On At Your Convenience
Carry On Matron
Carry On Abroad
Carry On Girls
Carry On Dick
Carry On Behind
Carry On England
Carry On Emmannuelle
That's Carry On

and the special featutes too
Audio Commentary On Each DVD
All 13 Episodes Of The Sitcom Carry On Laughing
13 Individual Collectors Booklets Featuring Star Profiles
Behind-The-Scenes Stills Galleries
Documentaries
On Location Reports
Theatrical Trailers
Trivia Notes From Each Film As Revealed By The Cast

ALSO the carry on boxset containing all the movies is now on a special offer of just £69.99 :D
Rian

Postby Archie » Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 am

Carry On Camping,Carry on Abroad and Carry On Girls were my favourits.

I saw them when they first came out at the local cinema :D
Archie

Postby Rian » Tue May 06, 2008 8:05 am

I have not yet seen "girls" but "camping" was the first one i saw and i love it so much and i think its the best so far in my opinion :D
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat May 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Hi Rian

Gawd I love the carry on films but in that boxset of yours only Doctor and Up the Khyber are any good imho.

Screaming (but only because H is in it), Cleo, Cabby ('Glamcabs'), Cruising, Sergeant, Regardless (check out Stanley Unwin's wonderful cameo as the gobbledy-gook speaking Landlord) are all really memorable and definitely worth checking out.

How many of the boxset have you watched so far?
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Sun May 11, 2008 11:49 am

i do agree that doctor is great
i have watched "camping" (my fave) "again doctor" "at your convience" "matron" "abroad" "behind" "loving"

its my 16th birthday next month and i am planning on getting

"carry on cabby"
"carry on nurse"
"Carry on Sergeant"
"Carry on Cleo"
"Carry on Screaming"
Rian

Postby Karl » Mon May 24, 2010 6:17 am

I've got all the carry ons (except "Columbus,never seen it,not interested!) "up the Khyber" is my favourite,closely followed by "screaming".I can watch 'em over and over,good old fashioned comedy,wall to wall inuendo, I love 'em!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Difficult to decide which is better, "Carry On Screaming" or "Carry On Up the Khyber".
They're so good, classics both! :D
Few things funnier than Peter Butterworth in drag, about as feminine as W. G. Grace.
And Kenneth Williams with a turban on looks like Korla Pandit :o.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:55 pm

I loved Carry On Camping & Carry On Abroad :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:23 am

Which you saw at the art deco Regal yeah?
Oh man....I miss proper cinemas so much.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:57 pm

I did see them at the Regal, great times :o

Jack Douglas put a dampener to Carry On Abroad with his ridiculous throwing a pint of beer into the air routine :x
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Also got to see Carry On Doctor recently, some hilarious bits. The revenge of the patients at the end of the picture is a real treat for anyone that's had a stay at hospital.
Unable to diagnose Sid James, Kenneth Williams says, “...It’s an enigma.”
James replies, “I am not having another one of those!” :shock:
Examining Frankie Howerd, Williams says, “...No bleeding. Good.”
Howerd replies, “Just like the service round here! If this is the NHS take me back to the leeches.” :lol:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks Archie for mentioning Carry On Camping, great fun :D.
We’re wondering how you got in to the Regal to see it! :shock: What was the BBFC rating, this 88 min version has a lot of nudity for 1969. Well, I say nudity, by that time I’d seen equally explicit (but not remotely as funny) editions of National Geographic magazine :roll:. Sid James in all that mad hippie gear and huge false mustache, what does he look like, and in all that mud, suddenly it’s Glastonbury :o. Tip of the hat to everyone for recommending the Carry On’s, they're making most ‘hollywood’ style movies with gargantuan budgets, crammed with special effects but no discernible script, obsolete very quickly :wink:.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:16 am

I like Carry On Cabby, Camping, Cleo, Loving, and Up the Khyber.

I saw an interview once, can't remember if it was with Kenneth Williams or Charles Hawtrey now, but whoever it was said that the cast worked for less than scale on those films just for the publicity and that the conditions on set were atrocious. They took a lot of abuse from the director and producer, apparently. I don't know if it was true or whether the person being interviewed was holding a grudge for some reason but he seemed sincere enough as I was watching it.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:55 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:...I saw an interview once, can't remember if it was with Kenneth Williams or Charles Hawtrey now, but whoever it was said that the cast worked for less than scale on those films just for the publicity and that the conditions on set were atrocious. They took a lot of abuse from the director and producer, apparently. I don't know if it was true or whether the person being interviewed was holding a grudge for some reason but he seemed sincere enough as I was watching it.

Of all the Carry On dvd actor commentaries moderated by Robert Ross I’ve heard, with Angela Douglas, Fenella Fielding, Dilys Laye, Sandra Caron and Jim Dale, none of them described Gerald Thomas or Peter Rogers as “abusive”, quite the contrary! They’re all keen to mention the collective laugher and sense of family. They all agree the conditions could be uncomfortable in the cold and wet, but it’s the UK innit. That the pay was LOW (pronounced basso profundo) is also agreed, but most notably everybody had great fun appearing in a Carry On with truly remarkable actors, most of whom, sadly, are gone now. At the end of the day, like a Hammer picture, it was something one did without question, the most popular pictures in the UK, who would say no? Padded the resume, opened doors (as you say, publicity) and kept food on the table. I’ve only just discovered the Carry On’s and already know my favorite actor: Peter Butterworth, unquestionably! Got to admire the man, he escapes from a nazi camp, is caught by the hitler youth and later said, "I'll never work with children again." Fell about laughing reading that :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:49 pm

Like I said, maybe whichever one it was had a grudge against them for some reason, whether the perceived offense was real or imaginary I'm not qualified to say. I especially wouldn't put it past Kenneth Williams to hold grudges. He disliked a lot of people according to his diaries. Hawtrey was borderline certifiable in his final years due to all the drinking (and probably quite a few illicit drugs as well) and could be somewhat astringent when he spoke. If he had something to say, he said it unfiltered and didn't care what anyone thought. The always cheery and light personality that he showed in the films was gone by then. They both had serious issues that eventually caught up with them.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Next

Return to Assorted Junk