Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Carry on dvd's

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:Like I said, maybe whichever one it was had a grudge against them for some reason, whether the perceived offense was real or imaginary I'm not qualified to say. I especially wouldn't put it past Kenneth Williams to hold grudges. He disliked a lot of people according to his diaries. Hawtrey was borderline certifiable in his final years due to all the drinking (and probably quite a few illicit drugs as well) and could be somewhat astringent when he spoke. If he had something to say, he said it unfiltered and didn't care what anyone thought. The always cheery and light personality that he showed in the films was gone by then. They both had serious issues that eventually caught up with them.

Ivor, if you examine my posts a little more closely, you'll discover I wasn’t arguing the point, merely hoped to change tack, be a little more upbeat. Welcome back by the way, haven’t seen you in quite a while. I think it’s important to bear in mind that everybody has “issues”, some are more adept than others at hiding them, but human beings are flawed, to deny it would be absurd. Speculating here, but key to understanding Williams and Hawtrey might be that they both grew up in a society where homosexuality meant prison, ostracization and the end of a career. And if you’ve read Williams’ diaries, then you know he grew up in an atmosphere of strict religious discipline. I’m not a religious person per se, nevertheless I believe it’s ill advised to speak ill of the dead, especially brilliant comic actors. May as well criticize W. C. Fields for being a boozer and hating children, both true apparently, but ye Gods was he funny!! :o
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 am

Here's a page that supports the idea that Hawtrey was displeased with the executives in charge of the films. It does say that they were much more tolerant of him than he was of them, though.

http://www.worldheadpress.com/sixteen-year-bender-70

"There is a story that Hawtrey quit the Carry On series because the producer and director wouldn't let him have a star on his dressing room door. This incident did apparently occur, during the making of Carry On Abroad (1972), and the fact he was refused this minor indulgence is totally in keeping with the stern, almost humourless control that producer Peter Rogers and director Gerald Thomas exerted over their actors. But Hawtrey had already been burning his bridges with Rogers and Thomas for a number of years - by frequently turning up too drunk for work and squabbling over his billing. To their credit, Rogers and Thomas did seem to tolerate Hawtrey's bad behaviour for a while - they even cast him as a drunk in Carry On Abroad precisely because he was out of his head throughout the shoot."
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:35 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:Here's a page that supports the idea that Hawtrey was displeased with the executives in charge of the films. It does say that they were much more tolerant of him than he was of them, though.

http://www.worldheadpress.com/sixteen-year-bender-70

"There is a story that Hawtrey quit the Carry On series because the producer and director wouldn't let him have a star on his dressing room door. This incident did apparently occur, during the making of Carry On Abroad (1972), and the fact he was refused this minor indulgence is totally in keeping with the stern, almost humourless control that producer Peter Rogers and director Gerald Thomas exerted over their actors. But Hawtrey had already been burning his bridges with Rogers and Thomas for a number of years - by frequently turning up too drunk for work and squabbling over his billing. To their credit, Rogers and Thomas did seem to tolerate Hawtrey's bad behaviour for a while - they even cast him as a drunk in Carry On Abroad precisely because he was out of his head throughout the shoot."

Is that right.
Anything you say mate :).
Ian Dury once wisely observed, "We're as common as muck."
Not much of a philosophy but accurate to a T. And he sung it in key!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 am

I just had a really scary thought. Imagine being haunted by the ghosts of both Charles Hawtrey and Kenneth Williams. :shock:
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:49 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:I just had a really scary thought. Imagine being haunted by the ghosts of both Charles Hawtrey and Kenneth Williams. :shock:

I can imagine and wouldn’t mind, never get any sleep anyhow, so what the hell, get out the ol’ Quija board!
Seance in a Wet Rag and Bone Yard is a favorite episode, flawless :o. Sorry Ivor if my comments seemed a bit strong, but I think it's important to remember the laughter they encouraged in millions of people and still do, rather than their faults, which we all have. At the end of the day, we’re all common as muck, despite red carpets and flash bulbs. And when the subject of dead celebrities (a favorite topic for sleazy tabloids, particularly in the UK where you can’t be prosecuted for slandering the dead) is resurrected on daily basis, I’m always reminded of the epilogue card from Kubrick’s masterpiece interpretation of Thackeray’s Barry Lyndon: “.....The aforesaid personages lived and quarreled, good or bad, handsome or ugly, rich or poor. They are all equal now.” An epilogue possibly open to interpretation, but I believe it was meant to express compassion. Wise policy.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Personally, I think I'd rather wake up to see the Grim Reaper hovering over me than those two. :mrgreen:
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:Personally, I think I'd rather wake up to see the Grim Reaper hovering over me than those two. :mrgreen:

Grim Reaper........isn't that a Scandinavian heavy metal band? :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 am

Thanks again Archie for mentioning Carry On Camping...the end of the movie...
...all those speaker cabinets exploding, it's like a WHO concert :o.
Bernie Bresslaw is magnificent in "...Up the Kyber".
Wish I could've seen his classic stage work.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Thanks again Archie for mentioning Carry On Camping...the end of the movie...
...all those speaker cabinets exploding, it's like a WHO concert :o.
Bernie Bresslaw is magnificent in "...Up the Kyber".
Wish I could've seen his classic stage work.

Bresslaw played Gort the giant in Hawk the Slayer and the cyclops in Krull.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Archie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm

On Friday on ITV 3 @ 9pm they are showing a documentary Carry On Forever, which features unseen clips, locations, interviews etc.
It's in 2 or 3 parts looks good :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Bresslaw played Gort the giant in Hawk the Slayer and the cyclops in Krull.

Yes we know, it took a Clydesdale to make Bernie look short :).
If you liked “Krull” and “Hawk the Slayer”, you might enjoy “The Sword and the Sorcerer” (1982). Predictably, the filmmakers knew their target audience, and it shows :roll:. But despite the occasional, unintentional hilarity (which in this case lends to its charm) it’s not at all a bad movie, an influential cult classic. Here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfpHtj9uxqg
Get a load of those over saturated colours! :o
Important to remember though, that tragically, stuntman Jack Tyree was killed.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:19 pm

Adding “Don’t Lose Your Head” to my list of favorites :D.
Some particularly memorable dialog.....

(Sid James) “Have you had a distressing experience?”
(Joan Sims) “Distressing? Talk about wandering hands, he could write a couple of travel books!” :shock:

(Peter Butterworth) “What about Jacques de Tourville?”
(Kenneth Williams) “Never mind Jacques, I’m all right!” :lol:

The sword play at the end of the film is extraordinary, brilliantly staged and performed, one of the best fight sequences I’ve ever seen. Did anyone watch the new 3 part documentary on ITV3? I read somewhere that the advertising, boasts of huge amounts of previously unseen material, were exaggerated.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:11 pm

The 3 part documentary demonstrated that the movies weren't the same without Sid - he was the carry on rock 8)

A few of dreadful movies were made, Carry on England, Carry on Emanuel, Carry on Columbus. I saw the first one which was unspeakably terrible. I never saw the others as they were apparently even worse!.
Archie

Postby Archie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:49 pm

This looks like a good un - Carry On Banging :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q7n4IAV05E
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Archie wrote:Carry On Banging :shock:

Banging? You know Matron doesn’t approve of banging in the ward!
tsk tsk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VgcxE9Lpw :wink:
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Junk