Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Carry on dvd's

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Archie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Queenie - I was woken up last night by this terrific banging, it was Lord Melchet !.

Blackadder - well done Melchie, I never knew you had it in you :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Archie wrote:Queenie - I was woken up last night by this terrific banging, it was Lord Melchet !.

Blackadder - well done Melchie, I never knew you had it in you :)

That reminds me with that funny scene with the late great Rik Mayall as lord Flashheart. After bursting through the royal doors ( and that's not a euphemism) , then punching out Melchet replies to Baldrick after seeing him wearing a wedding dress said "I like my women with a beards, gives me something to grab onto, woof , woof". :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri May 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Nursie: Out you popped and everyone’s shouting: “It’s a boy, it’s a boy!” And somebody said: “But it hasn’t got a winkle!” And I said: “God be praised, it’s a miracle. A boy without a winkle!” And then Sir Thomas More pointed out that a boy without a winkle is a girl. Everyone was really disappointed.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Nursie: Out you popped and everyone’s shouting: “It’s a boy, it’s a boy!” And somebody said: “But it hasn’t got a winkle!” And I said: “God be praised, it’s a miracle. A boy without a winkle!” And then Sir Thomas More pointed out that a boy without a winkle is a girl. Everyone was really disappointed.

Ah you have good taste in films kind sir. I love the Carry Ons me, they make me feel happy inside whenever I see them. My favourite is Carry On Screaming ( with Harry H). It's so atmospheric and apes the Hammer films and Universal Pictures perfectly. 8)

Carry On Screaming:

Dr Orlando Watt ( Kenneth Williams) to Valeria (Fenella Fielding) regarding school chum Doctor Jekyll : "I used to be in School with him you know? , yes, all the children kept on stealing his pocket money, so the change did him good". :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon May 18, 2015 12:42 pm

Thanks to the good folks here recommending Carry On Screaming some years back, I easily found a region 1 DVD of the film with commentary, from Amazon. But apparently it’s now so out of print, it has vanished from the internet, as if it never existed. Region coding, where’s the business wisdom in denying consumers the opportunity to spend money? Daft!
Another favorite bit: Hawtry gazes through the glass ceiling of his basement bedsit, looks up a skirt and recognizes a customer’s wife, “Hello, Mrs. Peabody! ...Mind you there’s a Scotsman that goes by here in a kilt and you wouldn’t give it credence.” Frying tonight! Such a good film :o.
Been promising the family for some time now I’d bring a Carry On movie for everyone to enjoy, they’ve never seen one. Though explaining to my 80 year old mum what “berk” means could prove awkward :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Thanks to the good folks here recommending Carry On Screaming some years back, I easily found a region 1 DVD of the film with commentary, from Amazon. But apparently it’s now so out of print, it has vanished from the internet, as if it never existed. Region coding, where’s the business wisdom in denying consumers the opportunity to spend money? Daft!
Another favorite bit: Hawtry gazes through the glass ceiling of his basement bedsit, looks up a skirt and recognizes a customer’s wife, “Hello, Mrs. Peabody! ...Mind you there’s a Scotsman that goes by here in a kilt and you wouldn't give it credence.” Frying tonight! Such a good film :o.
Been promising the family for some time now I’d bring a Carry On movie for everyone to enjoy, they’ve never seen one. Though explaining to my 80 year old mum what “berk” means could prove awkward :roll:.

DOY: Know what you mean with region coding. You'd think ones would make all DVDs region 0 which would maximise sales rather than putting barriers in the way of enjoyment. it's just common sense. Also didn't realise the Carry On Screaming was so hard to get in the states on R1. Just checked Amazon USA, and you're right, only ones available are R2 on DVD & Blu Ray. Very odd?

Regarding all the classic innuendos in the Carry Ons. Yeah the oldies are the best, and yes some words baffle if not familiar with the slang from a particular region or country , but hey, visual comedy needs no translation. It's funny in any language. Ever seen or heard a depressing fart? I think not sir! :mrgreen:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri May 22, 2015 9:40 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Ever seen or heard a depressing fart? I think not sir! :mrgreen:

I have, and not all of them old. Depressing d’oyly cartes know no age distinction :wink:.
Was hoping to treat the fam to Carry On Up the Khyber, but without the slang many of the best jokes would be lost. Guess I’ll have to provide a glossary beforehand, I’m determined they get to enjoy the harem scene and Peter Butterworth asking for a good dentist. OH, and Cardew Robinson as the fakir, he’s brilliant!! :o
Thankfully, some of the best Carry On’s have been available region one since 2012, though not all of them have those excellent commentary tracks. But as you pointed out, "Screaming" is not among them.
Here’s something from the Cymru telly archives you might enjoy. It’s b/w and beginning and end are silent, but Kenneth Williams’ comments in the middle of the clip are worth waiting for.
The vistas from Mount Snowdon must be stunning! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGshDSgVF-4
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 24, 2015 1:58 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Ever seen or heard a depressing fart? I think not sir! :mrgreen:

I have, and not all of them old. Depressing d’oyly cartes know no age distinction :wink:.

Was hoping to treat the fam to Carry On Up the Khyber, but without the slang many of the best jokes would be lost. Guess I’ll have to provide a glossary beforehand, I’m determined they get to enjoy the harem scene and Peter Butterworth asking for a good dentist. OH, and Cardew Robinson as the fakir, he’s brilliant!! :o
Thankfully, some of the best Carry On’s have been available region one since 2012, though not all of them have those excellent commentary tracks. But as you pointed out, "Screaming" is not among them.
Here’s something from the Cymru telly archives you might enjoy. It’s b/w and beginning and end are silent, but Kenneth Williams’ comments in the middle of the clip are worth waiting for.
The vistas from Mount Snowdon must be stunning! :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGshDSgVF-4

Carry On Up the Khyber was brilliant, and yeah recently they did a three part Carry On documentary where Angela Douglas visited the Horseshoe pass to reminisce about the making of the film, and I can confirm it was stunning.

Usually they'd build a set in their studios or go down wind to find a patch of sand to film desert scenes as in Carry on Camel, but simulating 3000ft mountains was a little to ambitious for the Pinewood effects department to recreate out of paper mache. The nearest mountain range to southern England is north Wales Snowdonia range although there are some 3000 ft ones in the south of Wales in Pen y Fan located in Brecon range called Black Mountains , but not a craggy of course. :P

Trivia: Khyber was the only Pinewood Carry on to be filmed outside England too.

Re Kenneth Williams. Yeah, the surname Williams is a well known Welsh surname around these parts along with Davies, Evans, Jones, Lewis, Morgan and so on. So I had an idea somewhere he had family from Wales not knowing his Mam & Dad were actually born & bred here with deep roots before locating to London where Kenneth Williams & sister were born. Coincidentally I've never heard KW refer to himself as English after watching many interviews and reading his diaries, how I know this, and I might be wrong, on searching for info it's been quoted on Youtube that he referred to himself as Welsh which is interesting but not on the whole a surprise.
Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...simulating 3000ft mountains was a little to ambitious for the Pinewood effects department recreate out of paper mache.

Why? There’s the Bond stage, plenty of room! ...paper mache :lol:
There’s a funny anecdote about how cold it was and something Peter Butterworth said to Angela Douglas, but I can’t repeat it here without triggering our old friend Mr. Naughty Word Checker...maybe if I whisper it (inhales)...
What, you again? N. W. Checker
Strewth! :shock:
I assumed the “Khyber Pass” scenes were shot somewhere below Mount Snowdon, was I mistaken? Really must get out the good old atlas, books are so much better and not infrequently more reliable than google or those expensive talking satnav's they make for cars that seldom work properly. Got to see "Camel" recently and though it wasn't great, I don't think it warranted so many poor online reviews. Also saw "Convenience", once again not the best, but the outing to Brighton beach is a hoot. Wonder if any of those classic old rides were preserved, the helter skelter and Ghost Train (apparently it's called Horror Hotel now). Dark rides and funhouses have always been a favorite, the seedier the better :mrgreen:. Here's an excellent site devoted to them that some might enjoy:
http://www.laffinthedark.com/
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...simulating 3000ft mountains was a little to ambitious for the Pinewood effects department to recreate out of paper mache.

Why? There’s the Bond stage, plenty of room! ...paper mache :lol:
There’s a funny anecdote about how cold it was and something Peter Butterworth said to Angela Douglas, but I can’t repeat it here without triggering our old friend Mr. Naughty Word Checker...maybe if I whisper it (inhales)...
What, you again? N. W. Checker
Strewth! :shock:
I assumed the “Khyber Pass” scenes were shot somewhere below Mount Snowdon, was I mistaken? Really must get out the good old atlas, books are so much better and not infrequently more reliable than google or those expensive talking satnav's they make for cars that seldom work properly. Got to see "Camel" recently and though it wasn't great, I don't think it warranted so many poor online reviews. Also saw "Convenience", once again not the best, but the outing to Brighton beach is a hoot. Wonder if any of those classic old rides were preserved, the helter skelter and Ghost Train (apparently it's called Horror Hotel now). Dark rides and funhouses have always been a favorite, the seedier the better :mrgreen:. Here's an excellent site devoted to them that some might enjoy:
http://www.laffinthedark.com/

Hey, Pinewood's bond studios are big, but not that big. :D

Re Khyber Pass. Yeah, some think that but the horseshoe pass beneath the summit of Snowdon ( Y wyddfa) itself but in fact it's the range of mountains called Crib Goch & Y Lliwedd adjacent.

Re Carry on Convenience. I love this one as Kenneth Cope ( Marty Hopkirk) , and yes not a favourite of fans especially at the time of release in the early 70s seeing both director and producers used it to poke fun at the union who at the time were striking for better conditions & pay. Don't bite the hand that feeds i.e the paying cinema going public me thinks. :wink:

Concerning Brighton pier. To be honest I don't know if any of those rides i.e helta skelta or Ghost train rides still exist? I know that one of Brighton's many piers did burn down a few years ago though. Hope it was the one that featured in the film. :?

You mentioned the Ghost train & Helta Skelta sequence. Notice the rather buxom girl with Bernard Bresslaw? She was a well know actress who appeared in many of comedy film & sitcom in the late sixties & Seventies. Her name was Margaret Nolan (Popsy in the Carry On Convenience film). She also featured in that classic Steptoe episode "A Star is Born" (1972) as busty lovee Nemone Wagstaff. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hey, Pinewood's bond studios are big, but not that big. :D

"Stop thinking about sex! You're always on about it, morning noon and night. 'Will the girls like this, will the girls like that, is it too big, is it too small?'" Terry Jones - Life of Brian :shock:
If I remember correctly, at the time of its construction (1976) the 007 stage was the biggest sound stage in the world, though that status has probably changed by now. How does one not recognize Margaret Nolan? Cor!! Didn’t realize Wagstaff was her character’s name, well spotted. Professor Wagstaff is Groucho Marx's character in “Horse Feathers”, though he wasn’t quite so, erm....vivacious as Maggie. She coincidentally also had a role in "Goldfinger."
A favorite scene from the Brighton Pier, the folks from the factory run amok at the rifle range and Larry Martyn chases them and their winnings out, shouting, "Skinheads!" :o
Thanks Archie for recommending "Abroad", great fun and the commentary track is excellent, some hilarious anecdotes. There's a similar mass dosing with aphrodisiacs scene in "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" (1988). 8)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 31, 2015 1:50 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hey, Pinewood's bond studios are big, but not that big. :D

"Stop thinking about sex! You're always on about it, morning noon and night. 'Will the girls like this, will the girls like that, is it too big, is it too small?'" Terry Jones - Life of Brian :shock:
If I remember correctly, at the time of its construction (1976) the 007 stage was the biggest sound stage in the world, though that status has probably changed by now. How does one not recognize Margaret Nolan? Cor!! Didn’t realize Wagstaff was her character’s name, well spotted. Professor Wagstaff is Groucho Marx's character in “Horse Feathers”, though he wasn’t quite so, erm....vivacious as Maggie. She coincidentally also had a role in "Goldfinger."
A favorite scene from the Brighton Pier, the folks from the factory run amok at the rifle range and Larry Martyn chases them and their winnings out, shouting, "Skinheads!" :o
Thanks Archie for recommending "Abroad", great fun and the commentary track is excellent, some hilarious anecdotes. There's a similar mass dosing with aphrodisiacs scene in "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" (1988). 8)

Mr Yank, are you saying I have a dirty mind? How dare you! I've never been so insulted since the last time. :lol:

Yeah Margaret Nolan was unmissable. Besides being was very pretty she had two stand-out traits. A good personality and a lovely smile. :mrgreen:

Re Bond's Goldfinger: Yeah seen that behind the scenes image of the volcano made at Pinewood in the sixties, and boy was it a big un, and like the similar large scale film project Cleopatra Pinewood effects department didn't have the luxury of CGI so it was build it or nothing. Don't think they'd be able to afford it nowadays with that cost. Must be talking multi millions in today's money, take a bob or two. :shock:

Re Archie suggestion Carry On Abroad: Great film and topical. Done obviously when the craze of bargain package holidays in the early 1970s were affordable with the in-joke that most Spanish resorts were still under construction lol. Peter Butterworth and Hattie Jacques were amazing in this, as was Kenneth Connor playing the nookie-less frustrated husband of June Whitfield. Kenneth Williams, Joan Sims and Sid James were at their best with Bernard Bresslaw playing the priest who was a little unsure of his commitment to his lord seeing the totty all around his order. Loved the mock-up posters of Sid & Joan too in their pub. Wish I had em. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 31, 2015 6:01 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...take a bob or two.

...there’s more than one Bob?
We’ll have to re-book then, hope you folks like Mexican food!
Mounds of cheddar, hand made corn tortillas, margaritas and mariachis, can’t beat it 8).
Don’t recall a volcano in Goldfinger, are you thinking of You Only Live Twice? For all its incredible set design and stunties abseling from a great height, Twice is a classic thanks only to Donald Pleasence’s brief appearance, imho. For me movie volcanoes always conjure images from those brilliant 1960’s Japanese monster movies, great fun :o. Didn’t recognize June Whitfield at first....who’s that woman shoving her hand down Kenneth Connor’s trousers? :shock:
Ken didn't seem to mind though :wink:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:06 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...take a bob or two.

...there’s more than one Bob?
We’ll have to re-book then, hope you folks like Mexican food!
Mounds of cheddar, hand made corn tortillas, margaritas and mariachis, can’t beat it 8).
Don’t recall a volcano in Goldfinger, are you thinking of You Only Live Twice? For all its incredible set design and stunties abseiling from a great height, Twice is a classic thanks only to Donald Pleasence's brief appearance, imho. For me movie volcanoes always conjure images from those brilliant 1960’s Japanese monster movies, great fun :o. Didn’t recognize June Whitfield at first....who’s that woman shoving her hand down Kenneth Connor’s trousers? :shock:
Ken didn't seem to mind though :wink:.

Everything was cheaper in the sixties, even cheap things. :P

Re Mexican food. Man, spicy food makes me fart something chronic. There's two things I hate. One is a naked flame and two hot food. Once I ate a taco loaded with scotch bonnet chilis and took out half a building. Don't know what hurt more, the cost to my wallet or my still smoking charred heiny. :shock:

Good old Margarita & Mariachis. Two of the nicest bar girls I've ever met, and what business minded gals too. One was a mover the other a shaker, and what customer service also. I didn't have to ask more than twice for anything, and that's only because I stutter. At first they assumed I was double ordering? Hey, that's ff.. female intuition for you. :?

Re Bond: Oops, you're right. It wasn't Gold Finger at all ( he hides with shame :oops: ) twas "you only live twice" mentioned. The Volcano opens with all those special forces abseiling down with Donald Pleasance as the scarred Blofeld.

Yeah June Whitfield was brilliant in Abroad, and she did her own stunts too. Remember the Kenneth Connor scene with the bed falling through the floor. She's still acting now into her late 80s you know. Very nice lady she is. Got a signed Terry and June dvd by her. 8)

Ah... yes Japanese monster movies. The classic Godzilla comes to mind. Got some movies in my DVD collection somewhere. Shall dig them out to reminisce. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:48 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:There's two things I hate. One is a naked flame and two hot food.

Oh well, I guess Hampstead Kung Pao is right out then (and no more toilet jokes please, we can guess which end) :shock:
Not all Mexican food is spicy, what’s the alternative, Elsbels cuisine?
Your host Peter Butterworth sez, “Champagne brunchings, hot and cold running sands, all the amenitings!”
Here's a classic scene from Sanford and Son, same subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30n8AZd9mi4
That crazy brassiere they put on June Whitfield was a stunt all on it’s own, like 2 dangerously pointy Crimbo trees. If old school Japanese monster movies entertain, chances are you’ll enjoy “Matango” aka "Attack of the Mushroom People" (1963), one of Toho Studio’s best :o.
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Junk