Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Carry on dvd's

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:There's two things I hate. One is a naked flame and two hot food.

Oh well, I guess Hampstead Kung Pao is right out then (and no more toilet jokes please, we can guess which end) :shock:
Not all Mexican food is spicy, what’s the alternative, Elsbels cuisine?
Your host Peter Butterworth sez, “Champagne brunchings, hot and cold running sands, all the amenitings!”
Here's a classic scene from Sanford and Son, same subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30n8AZd9mi4
That crazy brassiere they put on June Whitfield was a stunt all on it’s own, like 2 dangerously pointy Crimbo trees. If old school Japanese monster movies entertain, chances are you'll enjoy “Matango” aka "Attack of the Mushroom People" (1963), one of Toho Studio’s best :o.



Ahhhh... Stanford & Son. Very funny clip there DOY. 8)

I'll eat spicy food don't get me wrong, and Hampstead Pao sounds tasty dish, but I can't promise that we'll leave with the building intact, smelling fresh, or the toilets clean. :shock:

Thanks for the "Attack of the Mushroom People" (1963) suggestion. Just seen a clip on Youtube and the monsters remind me of those Ferrero Rocher chocolates lol. They don't make movies like them those anymore, although Ferrero Roche are still in production and come in both dark & milk chocolate with a limited edition coconut cream, and what about the Mushroom people you ask? Well, they didn't fit the box as there wasn't mushroom inside. :P

Re June Whitfield & Brasserie: The bra worn was a stunt bra made specifically for that scene and part of the wonderbra alpine range. :idea: :idea:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Thanks for the "Attack of the Mushroom People" (1963) suggestion. Just seen a clip on Youtube and the monsters remind me of those Ferrero Rocher chocolates lol.

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time, you must have a vivid imagination 8).
But then I realized....you're absolutely right, they do resemble a mound of Ferrero Rocher! :shock:
Father Ted, with these Mushroom People you’re really spoiling us. Funnily enough the 3 Bishops from that Father Ted episode had just returned from elevating a mushroom field to Class III. Coincidence? Carl Jung might’ve called it synchronicity, but I prefer Rod Serling’s explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjwI9Oz0yl0 :o.
Glad you enjoyed the Sanford and Son clip, the show had its moments :wink:.
If spicy food isn't your cup of tea, I'd avoid kung pao. Made properly it's full of grilled red peppers, the very small ones. And like most things in nature, they tend to be most concentrated.
One bite is like a culinary klaxon going off, HOT!!!

Edit: When I first mentioned Japanese monster movies, I had no idea Hiroshi Koizumi had passed on that same day.
Synchronicity, precognition.....by any other name, tragic foreshadowing (see Obits).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:08 pm

ITV1 will be airing Part III of the “Carry On Forever” documentary this coming Monday, 6/8/15 at 10:40 PM and is followed by “Carry On Screaming” :o.
An evening well spent, worth losing sleep for, one of those occasions where those automatic coffee machines with timers come in handy the next morning :wink:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:00 am

Archie wrote:I did see them at the Regal, great times :o

Jack Douglas put a dampener to Carry On Abroad with his ridiculous throwing a pint of beer into the air routine :x


The Watney's Red Barrel on the bar did the same for me!
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:02 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Thanks for the "Attack of the Mushroom People" (1963) suggestion. Just seen a clip on Youtube and the monsters remind me of those Ferrero Rocher chocolates lol.

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time, you must have a vivid imagination 8).
But then I realized....you're absolutely right, they do resemble a mound of Ferrero Rocher! :shock:
Father Ted, with these Mushroom People you’re really spoiling us. Funnily enough the 3 Bishops from that Father Ted episode had just returned from elevating a mushroom field to Class III. Coincidence? Carl Jung might’ve called it synchronicity, but I prefer Rod Serling’s explanation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjwI9Oz0yl0 :o.
Glad you enjoyed the Sanford and Son clip, the show had its moments :wink:.
If spicy food isn't your cup of tea, I'd avoid kung pao. Made properly it's full of grilled red peppers, the very small ones. And like most things in nature, they tend to be most concentrated.
One bite is like a culinary klaxon going off, HOT!!!

Edit: When I first mentioned Japanese monster movies, I had no idea Hiroshi Koizumi had passed on that same day.
Synchronicity, precognition.....by any other name, tragic foreshadowing (see Obits).


I do have an imagination, a little twisted, but a good un. Ironically, I went out that same day and bought some Ferrero Rocher too which got me thinking that that the designers of that Japanese monster and said chocolate company are doing subliminal marketing. Can't say I blame them. Ruddy tasty bleeders they are too, and I'm referring to the Ferrero Roche not the monster although I would go there if desperate. :)

Re Kung Pao. At first I thought it was a Japanese word for someone eager, especially about taking part in fighting or warfare, but remembered that's Gung Ho. Never knew it was a spicy red pepper dish? Cool, or hot in this case. The spiciest food I usually eat is a Bombay Bad Boy Curry Pot Noodle. It's like an orgasim of flavours in ones mouth without the effort. :mrgreen:

Oh sorry to hear about Hiroshi Koizumi passing. Funny how things are mentioned in conversation, afterwards you look up info, then find out some unfortunate info about the actor/actors. Same thing happened to me the other day with Actor Geoffrey Lewis star of Salem's Lot and so on. Just got talking to somebody on the net about the movie, looked him up to see what he was doing recently in movies, then found out he had died. Very sad. :|

You mention the great Rod "the god" Serling. I love this man, er... but in a platonic sense not leap on his back yee haw giddy up sort a way. :shock:

I'm a huge fan of his, and I mean big fan of his work from the Twilight Zone to Night Gallery.Think I might have mentioned this before though. Anyway, got all of them on DVD, and yes I agree, he had a way with words with his introduction to each episode. A great writer and master of the spoken word twas he. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Ruddy tasty bleeders they are too, and I'm referring to the Ferrero Roche not the (mushroom people) monster although I would go there if desperate. :)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a micophobe, but you can’t but wonder...who are the crazy people that promulgate the idea that mushrooms are delicacies, something to be savored? Place one on the tongue, the palate instantly revolts and says, “uh...Look mate, I don’t know what this is, but it wasn’t meant to be eaten, if it was we’d be chewing on your socks. Fungus grown from dung aint tasty, so you spit it out, now!!!”
Ilovesteptoe wrote:The spiciest food I usually eat is...like an orgasim of flavours in ones mouth without the effort. :mrgreen:

I'll not go near that one with a barge pole :shock:.
Although latecomers may be asked to wait until a suitable break in the performance :wink:.
Kung pao is one of those classic examples of a misspent youth, "Oh, I know! Let’s see how many molten lava strength tiny red chili peppers we can eat!" which we all did as if it were a rite of passage, which it inevitably was the next morning. Alimentary my dear Watson :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:24 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Ruddy tasty bleeders they are too, and I'm referring to the Ferrero Roche not the (mushroom people) monster although I would go there if desperate. :)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a micophobe, but you can’t but wonder...who are the crazy people that promulgate the idea that mushrooms are delicacies, something to be savored? Place one on the tongue, the palate instantly revolts and says, “uh...Look mate, I don’t know what this is, but it wasn’t meant to be eaten, if it was we’d be chewing on your socks. Fungus grown from dung aint tasty, so you spit it out, now!!!”
Ilovesteptoe wrote:The spiciest food I usually eat is...like an orgasim of flavours in one's mouth without the effort. :mrgreen:

I'll not go near that one with a barge pole :shock:.
Although latecomers may be asked to wait until a suitable break in the performance :wink:.
Kung pao is one of those classic examples of a misspent youth, "Oh, I know! Let’s see how many molten lava strength tiny red chili peppers we can eat!" which we all did as if it were a rite of passage, which it inevitably was the next morning. Alimentary my dear Watson :roll:.


You mention mushrooms. I hate them, and I'm a vegetarian. I'm normally a fungi but in their case I'm a party pooper. Parents tried to introduce me to them as a kid, but I was having none of it. I said to them: Never again will I put something that lives under a plank of wood in my mouth, dummy or not. No way hosay! Oh, and that's a figure of speech not my father's name. :)

Yeah, sorry for that "orgasm of flavours" description. It did make me think twice after I said it. Hope you weren't scarred. I was and I said it. :? :o

Funny, I forgot to mention regarding the Pot Noodle. That's one of Wales's claim to fame. We make the Pot Noodle. No wonder most in the valleys walk like they've shat themselves. It's either that or they're all depressed. I bagsy both. What a combo. :shock:

BOT: Getting back to the Carry Ons for a moment. The great Jim Dale is over in the UK doing a one man show throughout the month of June. I know he's been living the US for years, in fact, he has dual British/US citizenship as he said so. I saw him interviewed on the BBC the other day and he still looks so youthful. Never knew he was the voice of the Harry Potter audiobooks in the US? Things you find out eh. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:35 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Things you find out eh. :P

Quite. Only minutes ago I found my keys, which were beneath the telly remote, which were...well, you get the idea. This sofa is something right out of the Twilight Zone, a comfy black hole, given the opportunity it would absorb light :roll:. I’d forgotten to add the “Night Gallery” theme to my list of favorites, it’s seriously creepy :o. Serling wasn’t proud of the show but there were some good episodes. An especially memorable one, 'The Sin Eater.'
A documentary you might enjoy, "Rod Serling: Submitted For Your Approval" includes excerpts from his diaries, clips from his shows, it's quite good :).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Things you find out eh. :P

Quite. Only minutes ago I found my keys, which were beneath the telly remote, which were...well, you get the idea. This sofa is something right out of the Twilight Zone, a comfy black hole, given the opportunity it would absorb light :roll:. I’d forgotten to add the “Night Gallery” theme to my list of favorites, it’s seriously creepy :o. Serling wasn’t proud of the show but there were some good episodes. An especially memorable one, 'The Sin Eater.'
A documentary you might enjoy, "Rod Serling: Submitted For Your Approval" includes excerpts from his diaries, clips from his shows, it's quite good :).


Yeah, sofas are a nightmare of fluff, lost boiled sweets and worst. Had a cat once called Smudge (still do, a cat with a name so apt) who climbed into a hole beneath my Sofa , had a ten ton dump, and we didn't know until we put the central heating on. It was a "who's farted" blame game all evening until our noses were drawn to a certain foul spot beneath the sofa. Anyway, Glad you found your keys DOY. :)

Surprised to hear Rod Serling wasn't too fond of Night Gallery? I loved it. I suppose he thought that times were changing and studios preferred more sexually graphic horror of blood, guts & boobs rather than his much loved plot and story favoured in the Twilight Zone of yesteryear.

My favourite Night Gallery episode was the one with the late great Roddy McDowall in that scary episode "The Cemetery." Very frightening especially that painting sequence with the dead uncle's body walking out of the crypt towards him after he unscrupulously inherited his fortune. :shock:

Thanks for the suggestion too DOY. Will check it out pronto. Oh yes , a suggestion for you to see if not already. A few years back I got the Rod Serling's "lost classics" DVD (1994). It featured two stories never made into his Twilight Zone show called " The Theatre & Where the Dead Are." Worth sourcing. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:32 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Yeah, sofas are a nightmare of fluff...a cat...called Smudge...the late great Roddy McDowall...

A nightmare of fluff and a harbour for old coins, just the thing for those what-the-butler-saw machines :o.
Haven’t forgotten Smudge and the photo you posted, eyes wide with embarrassment :shock:. Yours would be too!
Apparently, “Night Gallery” hired Serling for his name and face recognition alone. Twilight Zone wasn’t so many years earlier, he felt insecure about his work and future in an industry where artists are chewed up and spat out,
so he took the Night Gallery offer, which he regretted. If you do decide to get the Serling documentary be sure it’s full length (90 min.) and don’t believe the negative online reviews, as a Serling fan I’m confident you’ll enjoy it :).
Roddy McDowell, those that knew him all describe him as one of the nicest guys in show business, and they all make a point of mentioning it. Well admired, but he deserved better roles, better directors perhaps, though you couldn’t ask for better than Orson Welles 8).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Yeah, sofas are a nightmare of fluff...a cat...called Smudge...the late great Roddy McDowall...

A nightmare of fluff and a harbour for old coins, just the thing for those what-the-butler-saw machines :o.
Haven’t forgotten Smudge and the photo you posted, eyes wide with embarrassment :shock:. Yours would be too!
Apparently, “Night Gallery” hired Serling for his name and face recognition alone. Twilight Zone wasn’t so many years earlier, he felt insecure about his work and future in an industry where artists are chewed up and spat out,
so he took the Night Gallery offer, which he regretted. If you do decide to get the Serling documentary be sure it’s full length (90 min.) and don’t believe the negative online reviews, as a Serling fan I’m confident you’ll enjoy it :).
Roddy McDowell, those that knew him all say he was one of the nicest guys in show business, and they all make a point of mentioning it. He deserved better roles though, better directors perhaps, though you couldn’t ask for better than Orson Welles 8).



Hey, well done for remembering her. Yeah, Smudge is still her startled self lol, and seeing I sewn the hole up in the sofa has been taking her anger out in my garden by burying some of the biggest cat eclairs in my rockery. :mrgreen:

Sad but Interesting info about Sterling DOY. He gave so much but received little back it seems from the ones holding the purse strings the decision makers. Sounds like he was under duress where in the late 50s early 60s he had freedom to express himself with the classic Twilight Zone. :|

Re Roddy McDowall. Oh what a great actor he was. I was heartbroken when he suddenly died shortly after the premier of the remake of the Planet of the Apes. Loved him in that series, also in many a classic series be it "Fantasy Island" through to "Murder She Wrote" ect.. , and who cannot forget his masterful performance in Fright Night 1 & 2 a Peter Vincent Vampire Hunter. 8)

I can recall watching a documentary where Roddy was once arrested for alleged piracy. As you are aware he was a very private person and had amassed a vast collection of original movie reels dating back decades. Thankfully he won his case stating that he was a custodian of movie history, but it took it's toll on him. In fact if it were not for he many films would have gone the way of the dodo. A similar thing happened to Carry On actor/comedian/writer/presenter Bob Monkhouse who himself was up in court for piracy who coincidentally won his case too after he was reported to one of the red top newspapers after they found out that he lent a copy of a film (Star Wars I think) to a family friend's kid, and they found out. They dragged him through the dirty they did, but again Bob Monkhouse had many lost shows taped including many presumed lost Tony Hancock radio shows amongst thousands of others. :)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hey, well done for remembering...Smudge...some of the biggest cat eclairs in my rockery. :mrgreen:
Sad but Interesting info about Sterling...Roddy McDowall...

We all remember that photo of Smudge taken from the stern, although “eclair” is a visual nobody needed! :shock:
Re: Rod...what’s the expression? ‘With much wisdom comes much sorrow also’, so it’s not difficult to find the saddest part of Serling’s story. As an intellectually brilliant, 5’5” overachiever, he signed up to be a WWII paratrooper, and was plagued by nightmares of what he saw the rest of his life, as anyone would be.
Re: Roddy...I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to locate footage/photos of McDowall’s beatnik period, with a beard (no, not that kind) that made him resemble Maynard Krebs, or what Mitch Miller might’ve looked like as a teenager. All Roddy needed was dark sunglasses, a beret and an espresso, some bad poetry to read. Been there, done that :wink:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Hey, well done for remembering...Smudge...some of the biggest cat eclairs in my rockery. :mrgreen:
Sad but Interesting info about Sterling...Roddy McDowall...

We all remember that photo of Smudge taken from the stern, although “eclair” is a visual nobody needed! :shock:
Re: Rod...what’s the expression? ‘With much wisdom comes much sorrow also’, so it’s not difficult to find the saddest part of Serling’s story. As an intellectually brilliant, 5’5” overachiever, he signed up to be a WWII paratrooper, and was plagued by nightmares of what he saw the rest of his life, as anyone would be.
Re: Roddy...I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to locate footage/photos of McDowall’s beatnik period, with a beard (no, not that kind) that made him resemble Maynard Krebs, or what Mitch Miller might've looked like as a teenager. All Roddy needed was dark sunglasses, a beret and an espresso, some bad poetry to read. Been there, done that :wink:.


"Remember that photo of Smudge taken from the stern, although “eclair” is a visual nobody needed!" You are telling me, once I bumped into one it was so big. :shock:

Didn't know Rod was a paratrooper in WW2? No wonder he had such a vivid imagination. Obviously taken as said from life experiences and things witnessed on the battlefield, some unimaginable I bet. :|

Re Roddy Mcdowall. Yeah he did have some fashion faux pas lol, but still he was a fantastic actor no matter what he looked like goaty or not. Q: Can you remember his early movie work?

As a small child he appeared in "How Green Was My Valley" (1941) about a fictional Welsh mining town ironically built in the foothills of sunny Hollywood and based on a real place called Gilfach Goch in South Wales. The funniest thing was that although about Wales only one actual Welsh actor appeared in the film (about 2 mins I think) and his name was Rhys Williams (Dai Bando). The majority were Irish, some Americans with a dusting of English actors/actresses attempting to put on a Welsh accent, which connects the man mentioned Mr Roddy McDowall who put on the best Welsh accent out of the lot, even better than the real Welsh actor lol. A mark of a great actor although a child at the time gave a most convincing performance that would have fooled most natives of Wales. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
User avatar
Ilovesteptoe
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm
Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:04 pm

“Carry On Dick”. Pleased to be able to add it to my list of faves, great fun and must admit, better than I expected considering it was what, 1974? Many hilarious bits, a shame it was Sid’s last.
Of all the Carry On’s I’ve seen, this is a favorite scene.....Bernie Bresslaw has taken a shine to Joan Sims.
Joan (as Madame Desiree) asks, “Mon Dieu, what do you think I am?”
And Bernie (as Roger Daley) replies, “A damned attractive Cockney wench with an absurdly bogus French accent!” Spat my tea laughing :o. 2 extraordinary actors and Carry On mates having so much fun performing that seduction scene, you can see them both glow :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
User avatar
Dirty Old Yank
 
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: A laundrette on the South Col

Re: Carry on dvd's

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 pm

I watched Doctor today. Didn't like the later ones. England, Emmanuelle, and Columbus were particularly bad.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Junk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

 

 

Testing