Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Wilf in Holiday on the Buses

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Wilf in Holiday on the Buses

Postby Rian » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:56 pm

i watched "Holiday on the Buses " today on itv1 as they have been repeating the "on the buses" movies the past few saturdays and i was going to switch off until i saw"Also Starring Wilfrid Brambell" so i immidetley had to watch it all then,it was great seeing wilf playing a nice old irish man called Bert Thompson lol
Rian

Postby thrupnybit » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:16 pm

Yeah! Still dirty though!! :)
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:29 pm

I tried to watch it but just couldn't bear it.

I have never liked On the Buses. Must be in my top ten least liked comedies. Cheap laughs. Usual ITV attempt at comedy.

And Olive scares me.

Out of curiosity today I bought a Benny Hill double DVD from 1971. I read somewhere that he actually was funny. And not just in a smutty seaside postcard, innuendo-ey way.

But I wasn't allowed to watch ITV as a kid so never got to see him.

:cry:
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby thrupnybit » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:12 pm

I like On The Buses but have only watched the films. Blakey just makes me laugh and how Butler winds him up. But yeah you're right, it is cheap laughs. I dont mind the odd cheap laugh now and again -- but in moderation!

And I agree, Olive IS scary! *shudders*
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

Postby Rian » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:06 am

well its the first time ive ever wactched "on the buses",although i have never watched the series i wouldnt plan on buying them anytime soon.
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:25 pm

Yer a canny lad Rian make no mistake.

I think perhaps we're spoiled with so many quality comedies with great writing that when something mediocre and cheap comes along it's so easy to dismiss it. If all we had was rubbish, On the Buses might seem quite funny.

Gosh, even Are You Being Served is better!!
thatsthatthen

Postby Archie » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:32 pm

I Love On the Buses :) In fact I haveral serieses on DVD.

The scene in the movie where Wilf was dancing and kicking his legs in the air was hilarious :)
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 pm

ThatsThatThen...

Did you say Benny Hill wasn't funny? He's one of my idols, I love the guy.

He wa sphotogrpahed once by reporters, he was carrying Kwik Save (a cheap supermarket) bags and they headlined: Benny Hill, a sad old man, so he simpy replied: How else am I supposed to get my shopping home? They never criticised him again... the americans didnt like him cos he made fun of them!!

Didn't u hear ernie? Lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Phil

I didn't say Benny Hill wasn't funny, what I said was:
"I read somewhere that he actually was funny ... But I wasn't allowed to watch ITV as a kid so never got to see him."

All I recall of his output was a lot of speeded up chasing of women.

Thanks for reminding me to try and find and watch that Benny Hill double DVD I bought (for a quid at the local library sale).

I've been going through a Taxi phase and have just finished the first series. It has the occasional really funny line - usually from Louie or Alex.
For example:
the cab drivers are trying to get Louie to do something
"Come on Louie, be fair" one of them says
"What? And set a precedent?" Louie replies.

Lovin' it!
thatsthatthen

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:18 pm

thatsthatthen wrote:Phil

I didn't say Benny Hill wasn't funny, what I said was:
"I read somewhere that he actually was funny ... But I wasn't allowed to watch ITV as a kid so never got to see him."

All I recall of his output was a lot of speeded up chasing of women.

Thanks for reminding me to try and find and watch that Benny Hill double DVD I bought (for a quid at the local library sale).

I've been going through a Taxi phase and have just finished the first series. It has the occasional really funny line - usually from Louie or Alex.
For example:
the cab drivers are trying to get Louie to do something
"Come on Louie, be fair" one of them says
"What? And set a precedent?" Louie replies.

Lovin' it!

Sorry mate, I didn't mean for u to think I was criticising - I respect everyone's opinins and it looks like I misread what you said, I',m so sorry!!! I know you have good taste in comedy as you love Steptoe!!

P.S. Thanks for the discs, I've sent you a private message about them the other day!!
PhilGlass

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 pm

No worries Phil

Still not watched my Benny Hill DVDs though!

This weekend has been filled with Dad's Army, Summer Heights High and 30 Rock.

Glad the discs arrived safely. Can't wait to see the finished product!
thatsthatthen

Postby bluejon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Rian wrote:well its the first time ive ever wactched "on the buses",although i have never watched the series i wouldnt plan on buying them anytime soon.
Nice to see you've had a look at the series,liked what you see an joined the O.T.B fans forum! :)
bluejon

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:26 pm

I am currently 'discovering' On The Buses too... I was first exposed to it as a kid through watching the films whenever they were on TV, and always loved it, but the series were not repeated that often so I knew it only from the films (I am not old enough to have watched it when it first was show).

Recently ITV3 has been showing a lot of them - I have really enjoyed watching them, but I am not sure I would buy them on DVD any time soon. I like the show, and I understand it ran for a long time, but i find several episodes are very much the same. It is a funny program and enjoyable to watch and worth switching over to when it's on, but I wouldn't put it in my top ten.
PhilGlass

Postby Jojo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:51 pm

ITV had some crap excuses for comedy TV shows, but 'On The Buses' was IMHO one of their best. Sure it's repetitive, but it's assured laughs. Went downhill once Reg Varney left though.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby onthebuses » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:00 pm

Jojo wrote:ITV had some crap excuses for comedy TV shows, but 'On The Buses' was IMHO one of their best. Sure it's repetitive, but it's assured laughs. Went downhill once Reg Varney left though.

too right!

OTB is one of the nest ITV shows.
onthebuses

Next

Return to Assorted Junk