Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

From Steptoe to Sanford

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

From Steptoe to Sanford

Postby NewSteptoeFan-USA » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 pm

Wow, all my life since I was a little boy I'd wondered what the "real" show was that produced the USA show Sanford and Son. Classic Sanford is no doubt great stuff, but now that I've had the chance to obsessively watch every single Steptoe and Son episode, plus the movies, and even the documentary and "Curse" drama, I must say I'm just blown away. I am enamored even with this wonderful show, and in this modern-era of YouTube, am so grateful to the chap who must have sunk hour upon hour into posting every episode and all things Stepto to YouTube.

The show was just brilliant. I still am amazed as well with what they got away with saying on the television in the 60's and even 70's in the UK vs what would never have passed censors in our "freedom of speech" loving USA. Steptoe was pure brilliance, from the writing t the acting to the sets, staging, everything.

I'm relived to hear the words of one of Harry's relatives shining a light on the inaccuracies of the Curse program, and even the documentary. I suppose the truth is always somewhere in the middle.
NewSteptoeFan-USA

FROM STEPTOE TO SANFORD

Postby harold » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:00 pm

I AGREE STEPTOE AND SON IS A GREAT SHOW ALSO WELCOME TO THE FORUM I AM ALSO IN AMERICA AND I WISH MORE AMERICANS KNEW ABOUT STEPTOE AND SON
harold

Postby NewSteptoeFan-USA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Did you see all the episodes up on YouTube put there by a guy called "Steptoeandstuff?" Wonderful job he did encoding them and uploading them. That was a lot of work. If you haven't, be prepared to spend hours of time watching them. Its the complete list of all of them. Who knows how long they might stay there before the BBC complains and the come down, so enjoy while you can. :)
NewSteptoeFan-USA

Postby bob » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Welcome New Steptoe Fan

We now have two transatlantic totters !!!

I do think that here in the UK Steptoe has become overlooked in favour of other more recent comedies. The funny thing is that whenever they try to demonstrate how good these other comedies are they compare it to Steptoe !!!

You are right about being controversial in the 60's. I was a young school boy in the 60's and Albert with his cursing and other bad behaviour was my hero.

Keep the postings coming

Bob
bob
Site Admin

FROM STEPTOE TO SANFORD

Postby harold » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:57 pm

YES I AGREE YOUTUBE WILL SHOW VIOLENCE BUT NOT OUR FAVORITE TOTTERS THANX BOB I AM PROUD TO BE A TRANSATLANTIC TOTTER
harold

Postby Archie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Welcome New Steptoe Fan USA :)
Archie

Postby NewSteptoeFan-USA » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks. I've watched them all on YouTube, now I'm going back to watch them again. The first Steptoe movie was really good (liked the Rides Again one as well) with its ending with the baby, which really threw me off. I suspected it was really his, wonderful twist those writers made with it.
NewSteptoeFan-USA

Return to Assorted Junk