Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Other Comedy Writing Partnerships...

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Other Comedy Writing Partnerships...

Postby borehamwood » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:26 am

So, I think it is safe to assume that anyone reading this is a fan of the work of Ray Galton and Alan Simpson, even it this fandom is limited to their work on Steptoe & Son (as mine currently is, though I am expecting some Hancocks Half Hour radio programs in the post). I am fascinated by the team or partner dynamic as it pertains to the writing of television, particularly comedy. I was wondering if their are other writing teams that my fellow telly addicts could recommend.

I am already aware of the writing teams within the Pythons, Grant & Naylor, and French & Saunders.

Any suggestions?
borehamwood

Postby bob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:44 am

THere are lots but Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenis (SIC) wrote one of the best Brit Coms ever Porridge.

They now write for Hollywood.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:47 pm

Two of my favourite individual writers started together.

Andrew Marshall and David Renwick. Both went on to do other great stuff. It is often cited that Renwick was an uncredited cowriter on the first series of '2 point 4 Children' and that Marshall added a touch to the first of 'One foot in the grave'.

I don't know if that's true, but the early episodes of both those seem to be different from the rest, and very similar to each other lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 am

when i think team comedy writing for telly, the first thing that comes to mind is "Your Show Of Shows" with Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca. writers included Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Carl Reiner and others.
the show and it's team writing dynamic was dramatized in the excellent comedy film "My Favorite Year" starring Peter O'Toole in a role based on Eroll Flynn.
other examples include the original Saturday Night Live (1970's) with cast members and far too many writers to list here contributing material, or Not the Nine O'Clock News.
notable partnerships include John Cleese and Connie Booth, Richard Curtis and Ben Elton, Dylan Moran/Graham Linehan/Arthur Mathews, Simon Pegg and Jessica Stevenson, so many more.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Other Comedy Writing Partnerships...

Postby stephen68 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 pm

you also have David Croft & Jimmy Perry responsible for Dads Army and It Aint Half Hot Mum and also Hi De Hi
Thick as a donkey's dongler
stephen68

Re:

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:32 pm

bob wrote:THere are lots but Dick Clement and Ian LaFrenis (SIC) wrote one of the best Brit Coms ever Porridge.

They now write for Hollywood.

Their film "The Bank Job" was just on TV tonight. Great film, makes me look at them as writers in a different light. First time I'd actually see in all the way through.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Other Comedy Writing Partnerships...

Postby bob » Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 am

Bank Job - great film and clever re-use of one of the funniest punch lines from Porridge
bob
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Junk