Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Up in the world - Norman Wisdom

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Up in the world - Norman Wisdom

Postby Archie » Fri May 14, 2010 4:54 pm

The movie was shown this afternoon on BBC2 and I noticed a couple of familiar faces.

The drunk insurance man from 'Live now PAYE later' and the aggressive man in the cinema from 'Sunday for seven days' :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: Up in the world - Norman Wisdom

Postby PhilGlass » Sat May 15, 2010 2:46 pm

Archie wrote:The movie was shown this afternoon on BBC2 and I noticed a couple of familiar faces.

The drunk insurance man from 'Live now PAYE later' and the aggressive man in the cinema from 'Sunday for seven days' :o

I noticed the insurance man but I must have missed the other!

The aggressive man I think also played alongside Wilfrid in 'Nineteen Eighty Four'.

Norman's films are, to me, the perfect example of comedy genius. Although I love a joke with a good bit of swearing in, Norman proved that you didn't need to swear or be racist or offensive to be funny. They are just good old light hearted family comedies that are VERY funny.

If you are a Norman Wisdom fan, have you seen DOUBLE X - THE NAME OF THE GAME? (Double cross). It was one of his last and he plays a serious role as a retired safe cracker who is more or less forced into doing one last job and ends up paying the ultimate price. It's a B-Movie, but his straight performance is fantastic. If you havent seen it I recommend it.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sat May 15, 2010 3:16 pm

The aggressive man was the prison guard at the quarry and the scene where Norman went over the wall.
I've always been a huge Norman Wisdom fan. Many years ago my mother saw him on stage in Edinburugh, and sitting behind her in the audience was a young actor by the name of - Sean Connery :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Return to Assorted Junk