Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

only fools and horses prequel

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

only fools and horses prequel

Postby harold » Tue May 18, 2010 8:55 pm

just read on the british comedy guide site that are making a prequel to only fools and horses called rock& chips its on uk telly so until they make a dvd i will not be able to watch it
harold

Postby bob » Wed May 19, 2010 6:33 am

Hi Harold

They did broadcast an episode of Rock and Chips around Christmas time. I ddn't watch it.

I think fools and horses was the last great british comedy (whether it was a copy of Steptoe is for others). The problem is that the BBC can't find anything new so they keep going back to it.

The original series was planned to end when the Trotters became Millionaires, but the BBC brought it back.

The real answer is to look at the era of great BBC comedy 60 - 70s and go back tio that non PC formula.

Hope you are well mate

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu May 20, 2010 11:16 am

I watched it. It was 90 minutes long, which was about 89 minutes longer than it needed to be.

I watched it with an open mind, and wasnt going to compare it to OFAH. The problem was, I don't think John SUllivan knew what he wanted it to be - comedy? drama? Unlike OFAH which used to slip nicely from one to the other, Rock and Chips failed to do that.

Also, the background he had built up of Del and Rodney's mum throughout OFAH had changed, making it all a little bit pointless.

We all know John SUllivan is a fantastic writer, whether people believe it's a copy or not, it can not be denied there are some fantastic episodes. But this is something which, in my opinion, should not have been made. But now they are talking about a series...

Bob summed it up well. OFAH is finished. They should leave it alone now. When they brought it back in 2001 everyone was disappointed, however, if you re-watch those final episodes now they are not so bad, but he had raised the bar so high in 1996 everyone compared. But they were still a mistake.

Interestingly, OFAH nearly finished in 1986, with the episode 'Who Wants to Be A Millionaire', according to an interview with Sullivan, when Del gets offered a job in australia. They actually filmed the ending with Del leaving Rodney and Grandad behind. This was because David Jason said he didn't want to make any more. During filming they persuaded him to film an alternative ending in which Del didn't go, leaving the story open, which they did.

If I were you, if you manage to get a cheap copy of Rock and Chips it might be worth it for the curiosity factor, but I wouldn't recommend spending any real money on it.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Thu May 20, 2010 3:50 pm

I enjoyed rock &Chips :oops: but I agree that OFAH should have ended when they became millionaires.
Also I feel the early episodes were the best with Grandad who was a great character remember the legendary scene with the chandalier :D the Fishing trip and Peckham pouncer are also real classics :D
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 pm

It was okay, if a shade or more glossy for a ye olde piece. Plus 1. a lack of Del Boy coverage, and 2. too many characters (who we have been led to believe are legendary in the history of the show) being portrayed as mere simpletons make this prequel an epic fail.

I did enjoy it in places but wasn't all that in the grand scheme.
callous_little_bleeder

Return to Assorted Junk