Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

pbs

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

pbs

Postby harold » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

dirty old yank what shows does your pbs station show i have two stations on my cable system and they show as time goes by,keeping up appearances,after youve gone,may to december,one foot in the grave,waiting for god and are you being served i hope one day they will show steptoe and son
harold

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

Nearly a year later and i finally notice your query. oops.
Dunno whats on pbs. Truth is i don't watch broadcast telly cable or otherwise and haven't for many years. Cable is far too expensive, currently averaging $100 per month. Yep, per month.
Hundreds of channels 99% of which are complete rubbish, a disgrace. Wouldn't count on Steptoe being seen on pbs, if beeb doesn't think we can sort the accents (assuming that is their reasoning) then pbs isn't likely to either. shame.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

pbs

Postby harold » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

good to hear from you dirty old yank i have finally got me boxset so i am enjoying them
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Re: pbs

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:16 pm

harold wrote:...i am enjoying them

what were the chances you wouldn't?
pretty slim lol
lil bit jealous, still waiting here. the vagaries of international postal service. hey ho. will keep an eye open for your episode reviews :D
Dirty Old Yank

Re:

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Nearly a year later and i finally notice your query. oops.
Dunno whats on pbs. Truth is i don't watch broadcast telly cable or otherwise and haven't for many years. Cable is far too expensive, currently averaging $100 per month. Yep, per month.
Hundreds of channels 99% of which are complete rubbish, a disgrace. Wouldn't count on Steptoe being seen on pbs, if beeb doesn't think we can sort the accents (assuming that is their reasoning) then pbs isn't likely to either. shame.

Steptoe also has many political and geographical references that can't simply be voiced over that most Americans wouldn't understand. When I first started watching British television and films, I had a hard time keeping up but every time I came across a reference that I didn't understand, I researched it. I'm probably one of the few Americans who can speak Cockney (at least the way it was spoken in the 60's and 70's) and who knows where many locations mentioned are found thanks to Google maps street view.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Re: Re:

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Didn't realize you're a transatlantic totter :)
It's been over a year since I posted that and have changed my mind. I've had many opportunities to share Steptoe with friends and family and everyone without exception understands it, laughs heartily and wants to see more. I'm now convinced the reason Steptoe isn't broadcast here has nothing to do with accents or 'obscure' references. It's because, simply stated, the show is far too good. 99.99% of yank telly (that's many thousands of shows daily including news) is mind numbing tripe, it's the foundation of the industry! Why be satisfied with mind numbing tripe when you've seen Steptoe? Viewer numbers drop, ratings plummet and advertising dollars with them. Before you know it all those people that make a living producing mind numbing tripe get rather stroppy. Its been a while since I checked BBC America's website to see if Steptoe is being shown, but I'll wager nothing has changed. Chances are it's mostly the same pointless, but brilliantly performed, toffery laden dramas that beeb execs apparently think will make yanks all agog with admiration. Another reason (and perhaps most notably) it wouldn't do for Steptoe to be seen is because it encourages empathy with the impoverished. It would be, erm...incongruous for the typical petrol guzzling SUV adverts to appear at the commercial breaks :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Return to Assorted Junk