Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Hancock Box Set under 17 quid

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Hancock Box Set under 17 quid

Postby Archie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:57 pm

Just received the Hancock box set this morning from Play.com they have it for under £17 :o

I watched the one about the Oak tree earlier on and plan to watch the Radio Ham tonight. I had forgot just how great the series is :D
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Karl » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:29 pm

A bargain Archie! Tony Hancock was a comic genius! He made some classic tv as well as radio,my favourite tv show he made is "The economy drive","the lift" was a classic too.....the general public seem to think he only made "the blood donor" :wink:
if you tell anyone you are a Hancock fan,they usually say "oh,he's the one in "the blood donor" and i have to put 'em right.He made lots more besides that episode!! :D :D
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Recently I've been finding myself witha "take it or leave it" attitude towards Hancock.

I feel like such a traitor as I think Ray and ALan are genuises (geni??) and it's not the scripts I'm disputing, or even the acting, I don't know what it is, but I just find it hard to get that excited by them now.

There are some episodes I think are hilarious, and none I would say were bad, but it doesn;t even make my top 20 if I think about it. I have a few dvd's I picked up cheap and they are good, but I hardly ever watch them.

I feel bad saying that! Hancock just doesn't really excite me.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:58 am

It's Strange Hancock wouldn't make your top twenty Phil,each to thier own.For me "Hancock's half hour" radio show was the defining sitcom for radio & tv! some of the later shows such as-
The Sunday afternoon at home
The insurance policy
Almost a gentleman etc.etc. were pure comic genius! He later transfered to tv very smoothly...........some of Hancock's comic movements were so funny, take the library scene in "The missing page"when he's silently acting out a book for Sid and the librarian comes along. Classic! And the whole Cafeteria scene in "the economy drive"from the queue to the table is so funny.As you may gather i'm a massive Tony Hancock fan,i'm glad he split with Ray & Alan though 'cos we all know what they created next! :wink:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14 am

Perhaps I need to spend more time with it. I have a lot of Hancock contacts and associates, and I do think he was good, but that's about it. Saying that, I have neevr heard the radio shows, only the television shows, so I am judging the tv work only. I think I need to do some Hancocking and discover more...

And what was it they created next?.... ha ha
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:06 pm

I'm re discovering Hancock, I watched it when it was on the telly a few years ago but forgot most of the episodes!.

I watched the one where the TV was broken down and the family were glued to the screen :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 am

I think to a degree if it wasn't for Hancock there wouldn't be Steptoe.

My criticisim of all the Hancock stuff is that it lacks reality. This was wat Ray and Alan were alos thinking when they stopped writting for him. When they came to write Steptoe they were insistant on having real actors, as Alan said "real actors don't read the script to count how many laughs they are going to get"!
bob
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Junk