Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe & son boxset under £17!!!!

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe & son boxset under £17!!!!

Postby Archie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Just found that Play.com also have the S&S boxset under £17 :o

Needless to say I've ordered my set, even though I have them all on individuall discs.
I plan to keep it wrapped up as a standby in case one of my discs break - I recently cracked and knackered a On The Buses disc whilst removing it from the box :cry:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 am

Archie

I have started the process of backing up my DVD's to hard drvie.

I use something called magic DVD ripper. I save them as backups rather than AVI's as unlike other people I can't see to get a good quality encode this way.

Having now bought a Sony internet TV I can brows my DVD collection via the remote. I also don't notice any drop in quality saving the way I do. Highly recommended.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

If your twon has one of the enw dvd chains called "BIG" they haev the 2 Disc Steptoe movie set for £4 (or 3 for £7.50). Apparently this comany are trying to give hmv a run for their money.

There is one in Manchester - £4 is jsut £2 a movie as it is the white one with both movies on!! A bargain or what? I bought one just as a back up as my other set is getting a little worn. (I need a new box set too, I've worn this one out!).
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 pm

My series 4 disc is on the way out the center has cracks, I had to replace an On The Buses disc last year when it broke.

Now when I watch a disc I just put it back in the box and don't push it onto the plastic holder !.

You would think some inventor would come up with some stick on kit to replace the center hole, similar to those plastic gizmo's they used to have for ex jukebox 45 records :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Archie

I have started burning all of my DVD’s to hard drive.

I use a piece of software called 123 Converter; If somebody can recommend something better feel free to post your recommendation.

While the quality isn’t quite the same (it depends on what it is being played back on). My Sony Bravia TV delivers a quality which is easily watchable. Anyway what’s the use of an excellent picture if the content is C**p ? !!!!!

For about £60 you can get a 1TB drive which holds “days” of video.

Highly recommended
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Not heard of that one Bob. I'll have to have a look!!

Yes, why have a decent telly and put a c**p picture in it? The old saying goes: "you can't polish a turd!". If you input a bad singal you'll get a bad picture!!

I usually rip the discs to my video editing program and burn to avi that way, but that's a longer process, though tends to look after the quality.

ARCHIE - On to Dragon's Den you go mate, you'll make a fortune with your invention!!!!
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:22 pm

I have recently discovered this free program which gives superb results on dvd - avi... http://www.formatoz.com/

Format Factory.

Works beautifully with the right settings!
PhilGlass

Return to Assorted Junk