Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Stand ups...

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Stand ups...

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:01 am

Who do you love, and who do you loathe...??

If I had to put a top 5 for each, it would be, (in no particular order)

LOVE:

1) Ken Dodd
2) Jimmy Carr
3) Sarah Millican
4) Bob Monkhouse
5) Roy Chubby Brown

LOATHE:

1) Bernard Manning (I HATE THIS MAN WITH ALL MY HEART)
2) Jimmy Tarbuck
3) Alan Carr (if murder wasn't so illegal...)
4) Russell Brand
5) Bill Bailey (though I do find much of his act clever, it's just not funny to me).

And yours????
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 am

OK Here Goes - In no specific order

Love
1. Frankie Howerd (all time favourite)
2. Lee Mack (Fantastic live)
3. Alan Carr (sorry Phil)
4. Steve Hughes (Best Live Performer I saw last year, supporting Reg D. Hunter)
5. Sean Lock
6. Ross Noble (couldn't leave him out)

Could Have Gone On

Hate
1. Michael McIntyre ( I'll laugh at my own jokes, incase you don't)
2. Ricky Gervase (Stick to what you do best - You can't do stand up)
3. Dara O' Brian (if you can't take it, you shouldn't dish it out)
4. John Bishop (Can't see what all the fuss is about - yet !)
5. Ben Elton (Sold himself out when he didn't need to and did the dirty on Benny Hill)

Nice little rant !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm

love-

Frankie Howerd- a giant of comedy IMHO
Ken Dodd- has me in stitches,a real funny man
Les Dawson-a much misssed comic
Tommy Cooper-only had to walk on stage.......
Alan Carr-Brilliant live!

hate-

Bernard Manning-Racism,bigotry not funny i'm afraid
Ricky Gervais-not funny,totally irritating t****r!!
Micheal McIntyre-don't get him at all,boring!
Bill Bailey-dirge
Chubby brown-i don't mind swearing but he is over the top!!
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Surprised to see Michael mcIntyre and Joh Bishop in the hates, they would make my top 10.

"Chubby Brown" is a complicated one - the difference between him and Manning, is that with Chubby it is 100% an act. I grew up near his home town so there's a litle of that, but Royston Vasey is actually a nice guy, having met him once and known people who grew up with him. His act used to be clean in the 70's, but he found himself another of the thousands of comics trying to make it. So his agent told him (according to Chubby) either go blue, or spend the rest of your life unsuccessful. So he invented the charatcer of Roy Chubby Brown and went on to sell 40 million DVD's.

Anyone a fan of League of Gentlemen wil lrecognise where they got the town name Royston Vasey from...

I have also met people who knew Manning well and with him apparently it wasn't an act, he was a fat, sexist, biggoted, homophobic racist. Telling and laughing at a racist joke is one thing - that's a joke, a play on words, a clever use of the english language. Being a prick is another...

I think if more people understood Chubby's Act it would be ebtter received. (Bob Monkhouse could often get very blue too, I've seena video of his - either he borrowed a few of Chubby's jokes or Chubby borrowed his!!!)

It's interesting isn't it? We love the same comedy show so obviously share a sense of humour, yet we can all like such a variety of stand ups.

(As for Gervaise in the hate last, I did not deem him worthy of conversation therefore mised him out!).
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Just seen the advert on the front page about Lee Mack...

He is funny! The problem I have however is his constant repeating of jokes. If you have seen the fantastic series "Not Going Out", then basically you have his live DVD as the jokes are exactly the same.

Bloody funny though, and I suppose us Steptoe fans shouldn't complain about repeated jokes ("one burp and you're empty"), but I have to be grumpy about something lol

His comments about Galton and Simpson are spot on. Brilliant taste in comedy obviously!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 am

I've seen Lee Mack live a couple of times now.

A friend of mine always wants seats in the first theee rows whenever we go to a show (and they get them more often than not).

Lee was doing his usual bit of picking on somebody in the audiance and I was laughing so loug I was terified he would hear and pick on me. Everytime he walked close to where we were sitting I found myself sliding down the seat and just wishing he would bugger off to the other part of the stage.
Last edited by bob on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:29 pm

Have to disagree with Phil here :(

LOVE

Bernard Manning - the Guvnor
Billy Connolly
Frankie Boyle - admittedly he does go over the top at times !
Benny Hill
Dave Allen - who remembers him ?

LOATHE

Ricky Gervais
Bill Bailey
Ken Dodd - always hated him he used to be in a dreadful show in the 70's called 'The Diddy Men' :x
Always forget his name - he was on 'Phoenix Nights' and does adverts ??
Johnnie Vegas - similar to above

In fact practically Every "comedian" who is regularly on the telly - PC Cobblers :evil:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Wasn't PC Cobblers Eric Sykes next door neighbour ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

This actually shows how everyones tastes vary....

Bernard Manning and Billy Connelly I can take or leave....

Frankie Boyle can be hilarious in small doses but his recent series Tramdol Nights proves he needs a writer/s similar to Jasper Carrot

Mentioning Jasper Carrot, I loved his earlier stuff (70's early 80's)....

Benny Hill loved him in Chitty Bang Bang and The Italian Job.... His TV series were not only funny but was an adolescent boys dream (You can figure that one out yourself!).....

Dave Allen was the guvnor! Sitting on his stool... smoking a fag, drinking a glass of booze, clearing the dandruff off his shoulder and recounting another hilarious tale was comedy gold! and the sketches weren't bad (Harry's ex-wife appeared a lot in it).

Ricky Gervais... loved his early work (The Office and the first series of Extras) but seemed to get up his own backside with hollywood fame. Back on form at the Globes recently, first time I've laughed at anything he's done in years... Hollywood don't love him no more...

Bill Bailey, don't get him.... never have.... (QPR fan BTW)

Ken Dodd gets on my nerves similar to johnnie Vegas....

BUT I like Peter Kay's Pheonix Nights and Max and Paddy's Road To Nowhere, not keen on him as a stand up though....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Today I bought series 1-3 of Lee Mack's "Not Going Out" on DVD - 5 dvd set for 20 beer tokens.

HILARIOUS!!!!!

Got that and Series 3 of The Detectives (only series I dont yet have). Good night / morning ahead for me!! :)

Graham, how can Doddy get on your nerves? He successfully gave two fingers up to the tax man!!!! Gotta respect anyone for that lol.
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 am

Phil,i watched "an Audience with Doddy" again the other night,one of the funniest shows i've ever seen!Amazing to see him still touring this year at 83!
:lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Karl wrote:Phil,i watched "an Audience with Doddy" again the other night,one of the funniest shows i've ever seen!Amazing to see him still touring this year at 83!
:lol: :lol:

I guess Doddy is not to everyone's taste.

Karl - last year several theatres (about 10 I think) actually cancelled his shows as they had received too many complaints the previous year - apparently he was not in the best of health and occasionally lost his track. I am a huge fan and if that is true, I would rather him quit while he is still great, than be one of these who goes on too long. Once one theatre cancelled him it was likea domino effect . If it's true, it's a shame. Saying that, so many others that same year say he was fantastic! I've seen him live twice, that's a long long night...

I have the LIVE LAUGHTER TOUR DVD and the official release of the 1979 TV series he did, have you seen these? I can send a copy off to you if you like!
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Read your pm inbox Phil, ta mate............sad that the old fella is losing it a bit,maybe its time to retire gracefully
Karl

Postby bob » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 am

I remember an old Union friend of mine moanig becuase he was going to a conference and in the evening they had been given tickets to see Doddy. He really didn't rate him.

When he came back I asked him if he enjoyed the show (my union subs bought the ticket after all !!!!) . He said it was the funniest show he had ever been to. Doddy, not the union conference.

Having said that, there does come a time when you should call time, there is nothing sadder than an entertaner lossing their public.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:42 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Graham, how can Doddy get on your nerves? He successfully gave two fingers up to the tax man!!!! Gotta respect anyone for that lol.

I suspose my problem with Ken is his TV career in the 60's/70's....

Didn't like the diddy men as a kid and the buck teeth and sticky up hair and I suspose it colours my judgement now....

Similar to Bob Monkhouse.... far too smarmy on TV and I got an opinion that wouldn't shake.... until I ended up watching him as a stand-up THEN I realised how funny he was!
Graham
Graham_S nli

Next

Return to Assorted Junk