Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Stand ups...

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Stand ups...

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Some more faves... Harpo & Chico Marx, George Burns & Gracie Allen, Jack Benny, Mel Blanc, Don Rickles, Pat Paulsen, Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy, Soupy Sales, and any late-nite horror host, Cassandra Peterson (aka Elvira) especially :o.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:35 am

My favourites apart from the Three Stooges were Abbott and Costello.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I have to say that my list of great comedians would be far too long but I can say one comedian who I simply do NOT like, is Ben Elton. My ex who still lives in England, forced me to endure an entire DVD of his and I sat stonefaced through the entire thing even though it was making her laugh, hysterically at times. And it wasn't that I didn't understand British humor, either. I knew nearly all of the people, places, and events that he would describe in most of his jokes and I still didn't find him to be at all funny. I have a brother who thinks The Young Ones is one of the funniest shows he has ever seen but when I tried to show him some of Rik and Ade's later work, he didn't like any of it. Same thing, I guess.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Who do you love, and who do you loathe...??

Lewis Black has become my favorite stand-up comedian, very highly recommended!! :o.
And having listened to and collected comedy records since I was a kid...that’s no mean feat 8).
He’s enourmously popular all over the world, is touring the US now and you can watch/listen to your
own comments, questions and “rants,” with his brilliant and blisteringly funny replies, streamed live for
free at his website. Audience participation broadcast live worldwide, how fun and democratic is that?
I’ve included the link below, but a courteous warning to puritanical/'politically correct' parents who,
for bizarre reasons of their own creation, erroneously believe that children don’t cuss :roll:. Lewis is
an adult and as such he speaks English. So you might hear a “rude” word or two, but eloquently
expressed by an intelligent and hugely compassionate human being that might appear to be
on the verge of a nervous breakdown :lol:. The work Lewis is doing is so incredibly important,
it’s impossible not to admire the guy. Lots more of his scathing wit can be found at youchoobe.
Enjoy, and don’t hesitate to post him! Just this Nov 2nd he read hilarious comments from someone
in Australia that I can’t repeat here....but whoa Nellie was it funny :mrgreen: https://www.lewisblack.com/.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Assorted Junk