Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Stand ups...

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:09 pm

I actually found the diddy men quite sinister :shock:

Another one I loathed was Basil Brush, even as a child I found it irritating :x

My most hated programme was the dreadful 'Junior Showtime' little creeps doing song and dance acts :evil: :evil:
My gran once bought me a Junior Showtime annual from a jumble sale !.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:24 am

Favorite stand up comics, that's a tough one, difficult to categorize "stand up." There's so many i don't know and most i wont remember at this 'ungodly' hour. Other faves boast outstanding early work that got weak or soured later (for me anyway) and some aren't proper stand ups at all. But if i had to choose comics with natural ability i always enjoy and respect even on a bad night, a few names do come to mind in no particular order...
Lenny Bruce, Bill Bailey, Dick Gregory, Jonathan Winters, George Carlin, Bobcat Goldthwait, Groucho Marx, Steve Allen, Bob Newhart etc. Old school mostly. Brilliant early performances include Margaret Cho's "I'm The One That I Want" and Sam Kinison's "Breaking The Rules" etc. John Waters isn't a comic but he's frequently very funny all the same, his "This Filthy World" is quite good. Others include Buddy Hackett, Max Wall, Redd Foxx, Bill Cosby's early work, Jack Parr, Smothers Brothers, Godfrey Cambridge, so many more. Wish more Britons and women were on that list...never mind, there will be :D
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

standups

Postby harold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:26 pm

good to see you back on the forum dirty old yank you mentioned redd foxx what did you think of sanford and son
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Cheers H, nice to be back :D
yeh, Redd Foxx...very popular, funny fella, fart jokes n all. all i've got is his 1983 "...Plain Brown Wrapper" performance, apparently it's a rare vhs tape. wish i had his old stuff on vinyl, bet they're choice/raunchy. grew up watching Sanford and Son, wasn't it the first (proper) yank sitcom featuring a black cast? so soon after the civil rights movement too, historic show. still enjoy the early episodes a lot, those based on Galton/Simpson scripts tended to be best, and LaWanda Page was a absolute riot. but having discovered Steptoe i realize the original is a much funnier show, was a bit of a shock really. what did you think?
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dirty Old Yank

stand ups

Postby harold » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:38 pm

i agree that steptoe and son is better but if they had not made it we would not know about steptoe and son
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

standups

Postby harold » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

the only uk standups i know are billy connoly and hal roach
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Archie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 pm

I saw Billy Connolly today !!!! returning from the supermarket down the coast I was waiting at a roundabout and noticed a lovely classic (95) Mercedes SL convertible in metallic green.

Then to my surprise I noted that the driver with the trademark goatee round sun glasses and 'Tam O Shanter' hat was none other than The Big Yin himself :D

I drove - a discreet distance behind him, other drivers travelling in the opposite direction kept flashing their lights and waving, yes he waved back 8)
Finally after about 5 miles I had to turn into my own street, BC headed into Largs town centre, no doubt to the famous 'Nardinis' cafe where he is a regular visitor.

I've always wanted to see Connolly live - and in a way I finally have :o
Archie

Postby Karl » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 am

I used to love Billy Connolly until his tasteless joke about the Iraq hostage Ken Bigley (who was murdered by Al-Quieda i believe).A cheap joke not warranted i'm afraid........... :oops: :shock:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 am

i've not heard Connolly's stand up so i looked that joke up. it's quoted frequently, but never fully. nobody expects a complete transcript but all i could find was the Bigley as hostage 'joke' accompanied by a reference to his young Thai wife. it's quoted, but devoid of context, something that's all too typical of the press these days. but regardless of inflammatory headlines and however he intended it, i'd have to agree with you. a huge mistake. simply not funny. going off a performer for one tasteless error seems a bit strong tho. maybe not, i dunno.
it may be a poor comparison but you've reminded me of Sam Kinison (who for example blurted out a Chernobyl joke on national television as the disaster was occurring.) i'll never forget watching his first HBO special "Breaking the Rules." i was gasping for air, it was that funny. in spite of some questionable choices (AIDS jokes particularly) i thought he was brilliant, couldn't recall laughing so hard and it remains a favorite. as his popularity exploded so did the number of his performances and to my great disappointment it wasn't long before i went off Sam. with all due respect, he simply couldn't contain his ignorance. ignorance that quickly became one of the primary themes of his act to the enthusiastic applause of stoned headbangers. shame.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun May 01, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Karl » Sun May 01, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi Dirty old Yank,
From what i remember at the time,the story had major coverage by the UK media,the hostage takers were taunting the uk/the west by continually showing the poor fella blindfolded,pleading for his life on an al-quieda website,all the time threatening to behead him,Connolly's joke centered around Wishing they would "get on with it",i'm always up for a laugh but that was SICK in my opinion,if a comic has to resort to such a twisted joke,i'm afraid i can't see him in the same light again............... :(
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 01, 2011 12:51 pm

hi Karl...it was news here too, 24 hours a day. the specifics might be better suited to a political forum but don't get me wrong, we're in agreement on the subject. Mr Connelly was on that occasion way off tack (kinda like my grammar :oops:)
chances are Billy regrets it himself. he's spontaneous, but not thick.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun May 01, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun May 01, 2011 4:26 pm

The Merc was a 75 - not 95, the same as the one in the 80's 'Hart to Hart' TV show 8)
Archie

Postby bob » Tue May 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Saw Billy live a few years back .... he was excellent.

With respect to inappropriate humour....... that has to be the constant tight rope all comedians walk. I certainly have said things trying to be funny and immediately wished the ground had opened up and swallowed me. I personally believe that there is humour to be found in most subjects if you approach it correctly. One of the reasons we try to find humour in appalling tragedies and disasters is that if we didn’t we would be constantly crying.

Only my view.
Last edited by bob on Sat May 07, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri May 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Jimmy Carr mentioned that offence is taken, not given, therefore offensive jokes do not exist - if they were offensive, everyone would be offended. That's his view. There are very few jokes that make me uncomfortable, but everyone has the right to their opinion.

I guess a lot of it has to do with the joke teller. Carr makes 90% of his jokes degrogatory about himself in some way, so I then feel it is okay to laugh about others - we should be laughing WITH them... if you join in the laughing, it can not be offensive to you.

Jokes about disability are about all that make me uncomfortable. Frankie Boyle was famously panned for making a joke about Jordan's disabled child. His defence rang true in my eyes: firstly, the joke did not mention the child's disability, secondly, the only reason the public know the child is disabled (and this knowledge was what made the joke bad taste) is because at any opportunity she has had someone point a tv camera at him, or talk about him for profit. Boyle's defence: stop exploiting his disability yourself and others will stop too. Had she been doing that to raise awareness for the condition that would have been different, but she wasn't.

I think the best way to express distaste is simply to stop supporting that particular person.

However, these people who are offended are never so offended when they make the jokes themselves - that itself is a form of racism / prejudism.. I can say those things but you can't... no, it's either wrong to say them or it isn't. if referring to a black person with the 'N' word is racist, then black people can not use it as the word is racist. Make your minds up.

Let people laugh WITH you, not AT you...

BOB

Your last comment reminds me of an interview with a 7/7 bombings victim and his rescuer - the rescuer said she was amazed at the sense of humour this guy had about having his leg blown off. He kept making jokes about it and she said she felt guilty laughing. But he said it was that laughter that got him through - his leg had been blown off whether he laughed or cried... so he decided it was better for him to find humour in it... that's a very british thing!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Stand ups...

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 pm

Some weeks back I was browsing 'Blockbuster' video shop aisles looking for something good to rent.
A lost cause really, their selection was always notoriously unimpressive and since the business was recently sold, it's now much worse. But on this occasion I got very lucky and found something I'd like to recommend to everyone. Gasping for air and clutching my abdomen in pain, I laughed SO HARD I briefly wondered if this DVD was what put me in the hospital a few days later.

George Carlin's "Life Is Worth Losing" (2006).

His 13th and second to last HBO special. Spot ON and Ye Gods funny!!! It's likely the only people not laughing at this performance (and consequently giving it poor reviews) are those that dislike seeing/hearing themselves described so frankly and accurately to the colossal laughter, thunderous applause and standing ovations of a packed house and many millions of HBO subscribers worldwide. One of the most influential comics of the 20th century, George (RIP) was a really nice guy and smart as a whip.
Check out this classic hour of stand up, but be warned: it's definitely "adults only." :)
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Junk