Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

What it might have looked like...

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Should they colourise the "lost" colour episodes?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes : 9

What it might have looked like...

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 pm

...but I doubt it... a scene from Pot Black colourised...

"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 am

Nice post Phil.

I voted yes, but I would qualify it by saying they need to imrove the quality of the underlying recording, much the same as recently demonstrated by Pixel.

The image is exactly what I have been looking for, for a front page subject box on the "lost colour episodes". There is a colour photo of Harry in "A Winters Tale" in the Steptoe book.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 am

Well done Phil and agreed Bob, the images should be sharpened first. Was colourization never attempted? If not, why not? Was such a historic, influential and popular show not worth the investment? The technology has been around for a very long time and though I'm guessing has almost certainly advanced to a state where it's relatively easy and inexpensive for an institution like the BBC to achieve basic satisfactory results that may not look quite right, but not having the colour episodes in colour is even more frustrating. It's not like Ted Turner colourizing Hollywood b/w classics which annoyed virtually everyone and wasn't done out of generosity I assure you, these were meant to be seen in colour. The real challenge might be the incredible number of different bits of junk all over the place inside and out and maintaining contrasts and continuity. I'm reminded of the example of Peter Jackson's WETA Digital, originally a very small company that managed incredible effects with far fewer computers, less advanced technology and far less money than the BBC has. With all due respect, what's a license fee now? 150 quid? no comment.
(6 edits, must be a record :roll:)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:56 am

Feel free to use this then Bob, or if there is another shot you'd prefer, send it to me and I'll colour it for you.

I agree the recordings need repairing. I could only work with the image the way I had it. My view is actually mixed - some of the Laurel and Hardy colourised stuff is terrible - there are several ways to do video, which I can now do, one is automated but looks naff. The only way to get perfect results is to colour EVERY frame - with 46000 frames in a 30 min episode, it's quite a feat...

I would only support the colourising of the ones which were ORIGINALLY in colour - something made in black and white should remain that way as that is how we were meant to see it.

Glad you all liked it.
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:54 pm

I'm going to be a bit cheeky here... Bob remove this if you want to, no offence will be taken..

http://www.twotenmedia.co.uk/Colouring.php
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:23 pm

Hi Phil

Really Nice. I have no objection at all. I only delete those links from people who only post to advertise a site. As a regular forum member I have no objection and I wish you well.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 pm

I would vote Yes but can't see the voting button !.
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Re: What it might have looked like...

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 pm

PhilGlass wrote:...but I doubt it... a scene from Pot Black colourised...

Was their lounge purple? I thought in one episode it was mentioned that the lounge was dark green and chocolate because as Albert put it "they don't show the dirt".

To answer the question, though, yes they should colourise the lost colour episodes in the absence of the original tapes that were most likely wiped. The b&w episodes they should leave alone. They probably won't do it, though, because the BBC make enough money selling the poor quality copies that they do have and colourising them would be a big expense.
Ivor Biggun

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:13 pm

No, the lounge wasn't purple... I was quite brahms and Liszt by the time I got to that point!!!
PhilGlass

Postby nunky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 pm

I am not sure if they should or not.
The Dads Army episode (Room At The Bottom) they coloured just didn't look right.
nunky

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Sorry Nunky, they DIDNT colourie 'Room at the bottom'... they found a tape with the original colour signal and just restored it, ie turned it up, so if it looks wrong thats how it as filmed, and from an old tape. But that is the original, not colourised. (Would the beeb spend £20k colourising it just to show it on tv and not sell it??)
PhilGlass

Re: What it might have looked like...

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:31 am

PhilGlass wrote:...but I doubt it... a scene from Pot Black colourised...

Sorry I cannot resist this.

"and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Return to Assorted Junk