Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Once you start !

An opportunity to discuss other TV comedy shows of interest to Steptoe fans.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Once you start !

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:10 pm

I've not watched any episodes this week :oops: I try to watch at least 2 episodes each week. So I thought that I'd watch 'A Star is Born' , then I saw 'Live Now PAYE Later' was also on the disc so I watched that as well, then I watched 'Oh What a Beautiful Mourning' - a Steptoe afternoon :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

once you start!

Postby harold » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:48 pm

i know some times i go to watch a episode or two then i watch more i never get tired of watching them
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Postby Karl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm

i watch the whole lot over a period of days usually.Starting with ep 1,series 1 of course :lol: i do this with all my favourite comedies.
My son & i recently finished series 8 so we are on to something else (its "Please sir!" at the moment)
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm

Opening the boxset really is like opening a bag of crisps, you can't eat just one.
Healthier and less fattening though.
They should put a warning label on it, "Caution: May Be Habit Forming."
I try to watch an episode before bed, occasionally I'll fall asleep with it on.
The results are always amusing. Steptoe dream therapy :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Karl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I find the radio shows addictive,i recently listened to 7 episodes on the bounce! :shock:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:04 pm

For ages my main dvd player that I use for pleasure, as oppose to equipment I use for work, had no remote control, I lost it. So any time I played a disc I had to start from the beginning as the designer thought it would be clever not to put any buttons on the front. So if I wanted to watch something that was episode 5, I started with episode 1 all the time. By the time I got to the one I wanted I was usually too drunk to care.

But with Steptoe I've always had trouble turning off... I rtmeember as a kid when I had some audio tapes of the radio episodes that I bought and my dad used to play in the car - well, one year me my mum and dad went to Italy on a coach (yes, the whole way) and everyone was bored. For some reason that escapes me, probably the trip to the coach station, I had the steptoe tapes with me. The driver was desparate to keep everyone amused on the journey and played the episodes and they went down really well. SO well that when they reached the drop off point in italy, the coach stopped and he turned it down, everyone grumbled and moaned, so we all just sat there in the coach, stopped at the coach station, making us all late for check in until the episode was finished. Everyone was free to leave, but nobody wanted to... Steptoe was just too good to leave behind!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:07 pm

I was at it again this afternoon Oooh missus! :shock:

It's my birthday so I had a wee drink and watched - Any old iron, TB or not TB and Loathe story :D
Archie

Postby bob » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Happy Birthday Archie.

It's mine too, what fun

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Happy Birthday Archie & Bob! :)
P.S. Archie...I got the Ride Again poster, and though the definition could be sharper, it's printed on photographic paper, well worth a go.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Happy Birthday fellas!!! :)

Hope you both had good 'uns.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby winstonlegthigh » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:22 pm

i tend to watch Steptoe when i practise my guitar and just on generally in my room, i've seen every episode inside out for many many years so it's just like ambience to me now but i still find myself like....just sitting their with the guitar in my lap after a while, forgetting about my scales i'm meant to be practising and just watching Steptoe :lol:

Last nights episode was Pilgrims Progress

'there's a lot of little English frogs hopping around Normandy' :lol:

Also, pedantic superfan fact, a Steptoe mistake is that in that episode they're actually banned from France as undesirable aliens yet in the later episodes they discuss going to St Tropez and France in general during the great holiday discussions. Silly and pedantic i know but noticed it last night.
winstonlegthigh

Postby Archie » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 pm

Cheers dudes, Happy Birthday Bob and a belated welcome to the forum to Winston 8) I had a brief go at the guitar many years ago. My mate had a cream Strat like Ritchie Blackmores, I never had the patience .I get into hobbies... photography was another, buy all the gear then I turn out to be a 'scrub out' (Loathe Story).

I'm planning to buy a couple of DVD's soon so I'll order the poster DOY 8)
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:18 am

The Ride Again poster I wish I could find shows Harold carrying Albert and greyhound in the coffin on his shoulders.
Hercules II says "The old man didn't die laughing but you will."
Lennie (Neil McCarthy) is also pictured holding a wreath and putting the booze away. Classic!
Maybe the Strat your mate had actually was one of Blackmore's.
After all, he never held on to them very long. He usually chucked em into the audience lolol.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:37 pm

In 'Black Knight' by Jerry Bloom ( Ritches Unauthorized bio) there is a picture of Ritchie with several Strats,. He began playing them in 1971 and continues to play them today.

He is apparently a difficult guy to work with,..he reminds me of Tony Hancock and his relations with fellow artistes !.

I have been a huge fan of Ritchies various bands since the 70's, now I am captivated with Blackmores Night, and have all their albums.
Check out their vids on Youtube 8) Renaissance Faire is a particular favourite.
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Archie wrote:I had a brief go at the guitar many years ago...I never had the patience.

Not having the patience to learn an instrument properly is no reason to quit, you should keep at it! GO on. Making a noise is half the fun! It's a good way to meet neighbours and if you turn it up loud enough, your local police department too. Very effective community relations tool. You may think I'm kidding but I'm not, playing music badly is underrated. Sometimes mates and me would play all the wrong notes deliberately but in tempo, play back the tape, and laugh like hyenas. Seriously, there's a beauty to glass shattering microtones. It may make the fillings jump out of your mouth but at least it's funny and interesting...something the stuff they're playing on the radio these days can't claim :)
Dirty Old Yank

Next

Return to Assorted Junk