Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Offer (pilot) (Digitally cleaned)

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The Offer (pilot) (Digitally cleaned)

Postby snodge » Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 am

DOY Wrote

I’m not suggesting the supernatural doesn’t exist or occur, I know it does, having experienced it firsthand

You got me intrigued now Doy, I'm always interested in peoples paranormal experiences,

My particular area of interest is about the Poltergeist...No,not the film!
perhaps the wrong forum for such stuff unless we count the episode " Seance in a wet Rag and Bone Yard" :)
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu May 17, 2018 1:56 pm

snodge wrote:You got me intrigued now Doy, I'm always interested in peoples paranormal experiences,
My particular area of interest is about the Poltergeist...No,not the film!
perhaps the wrong forum for such stuff unless we count the episode " Seance in a wet Rag and Bone Yard" :)

“Séance…” is a favorite episode, timeless really :o.
And let’s not forget “The Wooden Overcoats”, must watch that one tonight 8).
Most forum posters over the years aren't puritanical so the paranormal is perfectly acceptable, as long as it isn’t political. But we haven’t forgotten that you’ve changed the subject: you didn’t shave in the mid-1970’s, tsk :mrgreen:.
Re: poltergeists....as I mentioned in another thread, if ghosts want to hang around that’s cool, people must have hobbies in the ‘afterlife’ so to fear ghosts and poltergeists is, well, an illogical superstition. The cliché assumption that ghosts exist solely because they’re angry doesn’t make sense to me at all.
Although it can occasionally make for some extraordinary movies.
Huge subject, lots to tell, but first we needa cuppa.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri May 18, 2018 10:16 am

snodge wrote:...I'm always interested in peoples paranormal experiences...

Following the same theme, I was very fortunate to tour the Winchester Mystery House in the early 1970’s when it was still pretty run down and occasionally dangerous, before the restoration took hold. As I lagged behind our tour group taking Kodak snaps, can never forget and will always regret not crossing the single “warning: do not enter” tape that ineffectually barred the way downstairs to the unlit, inky black basement. As a youth I didn’t lack the courage...only an electric torch, hey ho. Chances are you’ll enjoy this 1963 half hour documentary about Sarah Winchester and her vast home with it’s many ghost traps, as narrated by Lillian Gish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17AtKbQ7glU. That is what most of the gargantuan mansion looked like a decade later and though I didn’t experience anything 'supernatural' that day, haunted houses are always better that way, falling apart. What’ve been your experiences
with the paranormal Snodge? Any haunted houses? Every childhood should have one, and often did :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Sat May 19, 2018 7:10 am

To put the " my shaving in the 1970's" issue to bed... I started shaving around 1976, I can't profess to have having profuse growth but would admit to light " bum fluff" as we used to call it :)

That's my defense for the accused " Your `Umbleness" ;) :) :)

I don't remember having any paranormal experiences growing up...More like extra sensory intuition..or precognition,
That sense of going in a pub and sensing way before others that a fight was about to kick off, i guess most people can say that they have had those experiences but mine seemed to be really heightened,
I would sense when i was in danger with adults or i could tell who was a thief or who had stolen something.. or was guilty of something... not an amazing ability but i did find it came in useful and protected me.

The more recent thing i would call paranormal occurred after my parents passed away, Pennies would arrive in my house, We just kept finding them everywhere in unusual places and with just me and my wife at home most of the time we couldn't blame our our daughters (for instance).
It got to the stage where we would ask for more and they kept appearing- not in the hundreds you understand but around 10-20 a week which is a bit weird,

I must add we don't carry any loose change and its definitely not my wife tricking me, One day our daughter came to visit and was eating dinner at the table when i saw a penny fall from the top of her head, The fear and alarm she showed convinced me she hadn't placed the penny there before hand for my benefit...She's terrified of anything to do with ghosts and the paranormal at the best of times and she just wouldn't have done this.

My parents passed in 2004 and 2008 respectively and pennies still turn up til this day- and more frequently when we are ill or stressed, They do say seeing is believing and when i tell people this account they don't know what to make of it, I don't know what to make of it but the common explanation is its " pennies from heaven" and those that have passed on are sending their love in this weird way.

For next time... the account of the apparitional cats paw!
Last edited by snodge on Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat May 19, 2018 9:23 am

We’re very sorry to read of your parents' passing Snodge, but congratulations on being a father, bless.
I’ve a girlfriend near London that recently became a grandmother, and while we mightn’t see it in the mirror,
one eventually becomes cognizant of ageism, that and male pattern baldness :roll:. You mentioned intuition and precognition...they’re best synonymous and with practice I’ve found them very reliable too, though mine usually
take the form of dreams, remarkably accurate ones that aren’t some kind of Freudian projection or preposition.
More to tell but it’s tea time, needa cuppa :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks for your pennies from heaven tale Snodge, an experience you won’t forget I’m sure.
I don’t know if this experience (though there have been others) falls under the heading of supernatural or preternatural, but once upon a time (post-Punic wars) I was visiting a mate who was attending college. And as we sat chatting and laughing in his dorm room, we decided to try the time honoured meditation word, “Om.” I was sat at his desk with an elbow lamp next to me, we both intoned Om in the same key and within a minute the lamp’s electric bulb exploded. It didn’t just pop and go out, as bulbs sometimes do, it literally shattered which wasn’t particularly startling since being young we’d probably imbibed something or another. Maybe we created microtones that caused it, coincidence possibly, but I’ve never had a light bulb explode next to my head. I prefer to attribute it to...
...something else. No not clumsiness, I didn't bang my head into it, tsk :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:27 pm

That light bulb shattering next to your noggin could be because of the sound waves of your "oms" ... or more likely
due to heightened emotions in the pair of you,

This effect is seen quite often in teens due to their raging hormones, I have witnessed this at first hand when my daughters were in their teens and often during a row or extreme emotions something would break or pop or even electrical items would turn off.

This is a well known poltergeist effect often seen in young folk going through puberty and usually put down to the child pulling pranks but has been noted time and time again by parapsychologists who study this field.

In the infamous poltergeist case in 1978 in Enfield.. London- a professor of physics from Birbeck college in London visited the "house of strange happenings" and witnessed a light bulb shattering right above him, he took away the bulb for inspection at the college in his lab and commented the metal filament had broken in a bizarre fashion due to extreme stress fractures in the metal.

Why pubescent children should affect the environment in this way remain unknown,One theory is they project a exteriorised energy field.. This energy field has been suggested as wave particles in the quantum field.

Fancy words but doesn't really explain anything :)
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:13 pm

snodge wrote:...This energy field has been suggested as wave particles in the quantum field.

I wish Ilovesteptoe were here, he too had some tales to tell, having grown up in a Victorian funeral director's house.
...Their parlour was once the mortician's workshop where the corpses were laid out :shock:
http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2606&start=15.
My mate and me had left puberty behind long before the light bulb incident, and neither of us were emotional at the time, just having a bit of fun. I don’t do this sort of thing anymore and strongly discourage young people from trying it, but we definitely had imbibed something (I remember what it was but won’t mention it here) that could’ve created a mindset in both of us and an atmosphere that contributed to a paranormal event. Then again, maybe it was just coincidence, a manufacturing flaw. Unless I’m mistaken quantum theory is now accepted science, providing an interesting and plausible explanation for supernatural phenomena. Quantum might also lend added credence to Jungian synchronicity. But I suspect those most likely to support the suggestion might be educated materialists, scientists, who refuse to believe in the paranormal. Another true story, one that can’t be discounted as coincidence…Rather than accepting dogma or superstition, I’ve always believed the best philosophy is created on one’s own through observation, study and chatting with good people. So over a lifetime I’ve got to know lots of interesting folks. One of those persons was a Wiccan woman. She lived many thousands of miles away, we met on the internet and became fast friends, chatting & laughing online, and exchanging photos. Anyway, one evening…the experience was so extraordinary I remember the precise spot where I was standing…suddenly and inexplicably I felt 20 years younger, healthy and robust as if all that time had been erased from mind and body. I’d never felt anything like it before or since so naturally I made a note of it. Within a few days my friend emailed to ask, “Did you get the healing spell I sent?” I hadn’t mentioned my experience to her, and the date & time corresponded exactly.
You probably already know that healing at a distance isn’t a new subject. Rasputin comes to mind, specifically the well documented occasion when he healed the young tsarevich of an acute bout of hemophilia with a telegram. Fascinating topic :).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 am

Rasputin comes to mind, the well documented occasion when he healed the young tsarevich of an acute bout of hemophilia with a hand written letter

I read they kept tsarevichs illness a closely guarded secret in those days, But i guess the universe always reveals its secrets.

Didn't old Ra Ra Rasputin have a penchant for birds and booze? Reminds of another great man called Daniel Dunglas Hume
who unlike other mediums of the day would perform in bright light -rather than the normal blacked out rooms where shady shenanigans could occur.

its difficult to find a skeptical viewpoint on how the man performed his amazing feats like levitation, Apparitions , and psychic abilities, in a scientific test Sir William Crookes secured an accordion inside a metal cage beneath a table 20 feet away from Hume,and the instrument was heard to play during the seance,
The sceptics explained this away by saying Hume could have hidden a tiny harmonica under his mustache :)

ps I'm busy working on Steptoe`s "The Piano" so will post when finished.

Does anyone want a nice restored episode from `On the buses`? its series one episode two " A new conductor" and has come up a treat ( If i say so myself).it features the lovely Gwendolyn Watts etc

just shoot me a private message and I'll share the link :D
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 pm

snodge wrote:Didn't old Ra Ra Rasputin have a penchant for birds and booze?

That he did...and who could blame him? :o Without them, life would be so dull.
Although, Rasputin's appetites might be better described as ravenous.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Its true the truth get distorted and colored and we are talking about a long time ago.
Daniel Home really impressed a lot of scientific investigators so they were always keen to try and test him under
fraud proof conditions, and people always think because these events happened in the late 1800's that the top scientists of the day were naive or inept.

Well we don't always do things better now under the guise of eternal progression etc... One scientist William Crookes who tested Home under exhaustive scrutiny came away utterly convinced of his abilities and wrote extensive articles,
if you do a search for them online you can read them.

Here's a interesting chat on Home
[url]http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258077
[/url]

The other interesting thing about Home would be he would `out` mediums he though fraudulent because most of them performed their probable legerdemain in the dark.

Its worth reading those papers on Home by William Crookes as it shows the conditions in the lab that Home would have to perform under.
Skeptics and Magicians often say they could easily duplicate Homes performances etc...But could they under the conditions in the lab set by Crookes?
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:43 pm

snodge wrote:Skeptics and Magicians often say they could easily duplicate Homes performances etc...
But could they under the conditions in the lab set by Crookes?

Been struggling with how to reply to this, gonna give it one last go.
Then as now, the title of scientist does not necessarily exclude them from biases. Here we are in the 21st century
and there are still scientists who refuse to accept or even acknowledge papers published in peer-reviewed journals (at which point those papers become science fact) because of personal prejudices, fears, and not infrequently greed. Contemporary examples of willful ignorance by educated, accredited scientists are surprisingly numerous and often quite shocking. I’ve had other direct experiences of for lack of a better phrase, the supernatural, that couldn’t be explained away by mere coincidence. Yet despite my knowing that paranormal phenomena exists, skepticism is always key, and should never be abandoned. Sophisticated parlour tricks and sleight of hand were already well advanced (and largely unexposed) by the 19th century. So, was Daniel D. Home the genuine article? Beats me,
but ample opportunities for occult fraud in the Victorian era combined with widespread superstitions of the
period tend to outweigh that possibility. Plus, some of Crookes' peers described his predisposition to
believing in the supernatural and his lab conditions lacking in traditional scientific discipline.
Do you enjoy supernatural fiction? Lovecraft, James, Machen and Blackwood are all-time
favorites; much of their work is now public domain and can be read free online :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Video and Audio