Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

"The Piano" digitally Cleaned

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

"The Piano" digitally Cleaned

Postby snodge » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 pm

A new attempt at restoring this fine classic, The main concern were the moving scratches that looked like some sort of film retaining clip when the film was telecined,These artifacts had to be painted out manually, and took a considerable amount of time - but the results are passable i think.
I tried to leave as few digital artifacts as possible and only remove spots and defects without too much grain removal and oversharpening etc, Full on Vidfire wasn't performed this time but a light motion interpolation to make the experience more smoother.
Download link (2.2GB)
https://mega.nz/#!vsIH3A5S!XIh4o8t7yGHX ... kO-MNfVgfg

Preview images

Hope you enjoy this restoration and let me know what you think etc, The first 5 replies will win a free Complete Steptoe Boxset and Steptoe rides again Posters-or maybe NOT :)

Cheers
snodge
Last edited by snodge on Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
snodge

Re: "The Piano" digitally Cleaned

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:42 am

snodge wrote:...The first 5 replies will win a free Complete Steptoe Boxset and Steptoe rides again Posters...

First reply, but I've already got one of each, Argh!
Could do with another Ride Again quad poster though, for the loo.
Whether bathing, or brushing (in Albert's case soaking) the ol' hampsteads...
...it's the sort of decorative appointment every bog should boast :o.
Bound to be better than bunging bits of wallpaper samples up.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby alexcole » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:07 pm

what a pleasant surprise to see this little gem digitally cleaned and restored to such a high level. so much better than the quick
clean i did on my attempt & much better than others blurred efforts.
very nicely done & brings a fresh breath of air to another classic.

thanks for taking the time & effort to do this ......
alexcole

Postby Crunchie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Great work snodge! Not overcooked so as to lose facial texture, a marked improvement on the DVD release. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us!
Crunchie

Postby snodge » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:48 am

Thanks for the nice feedback, I'm glad you like the spring cleaned version :)

I forgot to mention some people find it difficult to download from that file host (Mega.nz),
you can always watch it on that webpage by streaming it etc,takes a little while to load but should play okay.
or download using The Chrome Browser- which handles these links better.
snodge

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Personally although I admire the work gone in to this, being familiar with it myself and having done similar, I do think the roughness of the originals adds to the character of it. This was 1962 and it looks like it - and why not? There is a certain warmth to the original
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby snodge » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:39 am

PhilGlass wrote:Personally although I admire the work gone in to this, being familiar with it myself and having done similar, I do think the roughness of the originals adds to the character of it. This was 1962 and it looks like it - and why not? There is a certain warmth to the original
##

Thanks for responding and commenting philglass,
If i can add the case for a "defence of sorts" I think your perception of the orignal DVD with its rougness and charactor is only because the Beeb shredded the Quad video tapes, And we have to rely on a telecined 16mm copy thats probably been half way across the world and then ends up poorly transfered to betamax- then to a variable bitrate DVD,

I dont know if you was around to see the original trasmission back in 1962 on a CRT but you wouldn't have seen any roughness or spots and dirt but a nice interlaced clean video.

Its only the passage of time and poor handling of the data thats given the charactor you like, personally i think thats fine,
and ironically when i started out in video restoration looking for software -most of that available was to re-create the old film look!

So there's software out there to degrade and add scratches and make the frame bounce up and down because people like it.

Nothing wrong with liking a certain look but its important to remember it wouldn't have looked like that back on first transmission.

Regards
Snodge
Last edited by snodge on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snodge

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:38 am

snodge wrote:
PhilGlass wrote:Personally although I admire the work gone in to this, being familiar with it myself and having done similar, I do think the roughness of the originals adds to the character of it. This was 1962 and it looks like it - and why not? There is a certain warmth to the original
##

Thanks for responding and commenting philgass,
If i can add the case for a "defence of sorts" I think your perception of the orignal DVD with its rougness and charactor is only because the Beeb shredded the Quad video tapes, And we have to rely on a telecined 16mm copy thats probably been half way across the world and then ends up poorly transfered to betamax- then to a variable bitrate DVD,

I dont know if you was around to see the original trasmission back in 1962 on a CRT but you wouldn't have seen any roughness or spots and dirt but a nice interlaced clean video.

Its only the passage of time and poor handling of the data thats given the charactor you like, personally i think thats fine,
and ironically when i started out in video restoration looking for software -most of that available was to re-create the old film look!

So there's software out there to degrade and add scratches and make the frame bounce up and down because people like it.

Nothing wrong with liking a certain look but its important to remember it wouldn't have looked like that back on first transmission.

Regards
Snodge

Oh definitely and please rest assured I was not being critical of your work or your intentions. I also understand the need for restoration and it is something I dabble in myself.
PhilGlass

Postby snodge » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi Philglass :)
I didn't think you was being critical at all and its great to meet like-minded people into video restoration,
Have you done many jobs on the Steptoe material?
snodge

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:12 pm

snodge wrote:Hi Philglass :)
I didn't think you was being critical at all and its great to meet like-minded people into video restoration,
Have you done many jobs on the Steptoe material?

I have sourced a lot of the material in the first place. Unfortunately I no longer have the time to do any of it.

This thread did inspire me to go back to this episode which in honesty I hadnt seen in many years.
PhilGlass

Return to Video and Audio