Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Offer (pilot) (Digitally cleaned)

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The Offer (pilot) (Digitally cleaned)

Postby snodge » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:37 pm

Another reason i stopped posting was the fact you keep editing and removing chunks of what you had previously written, So
i look at your post one day and by the time i get around to posting on the next day its almost a different piece.

I dont mind chatting to you as you sound a top geezer but only if you get help for your literary tourettes. :)

ps reason number two was noone else is contributing and i find this puzzling as Steptoe and Son is still watched and popular all around the world. You and the rest of the forum know there is nothing to touch how brilliant the show is. Maybe its the popularity of Soya products lowering testostrone LOL
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:05 am

snodge wrote:Another reason i stopped posting was the fact you keep editing and removing chunks of what you had previously written, So i look at your post one day and by the time i get around to posting on the next day its almost a different piece. I dont mind chatting to you as you sound a top geezer but only if you get help for your literary tourettes. :)
ps reason number two was noone else is contributing and i find this puzzling as Steptoe and Son is still watched and popular all around the world. You and the rest of the forum know there is nothing to touch how brilliant the show is. Maybe its the popularity of Soya products lowering testostrone LOL

For many years...and anyone can verify this for themselves...it wasn't uncommon for forum contributors
and sometimes moderators, to edit their posts. That's an option available to everyone for which we've all
been grateful because it allows for creative writing. Errors occur, ideas evolve, and I hope you agree that
it's better to have the opportunity to correct flaws in grammar, spelling, research etc. Once Bob puts up
an episode review, you can't edit it. He's been generous enough to publish 4 of mine...and that's more
than enough but each of them suffers flaws I desperately wish I could correct, self-criticism being the
inevitable fate of anybody that cares about language. Phil expressed to me the same disappointment
with his "Pot Black"* review. Like some of mine, his review was written in haste because Bob urgently
requested them ASAP. Hey ho, nobody sweated it....not until you mentioned it. You've asked where
everyone has gone. Saddens me to say that Archie and Ilovesteptoe's failing heath wasn't a secret,
you can verify that too. But everybody else...I dunno. Abducted by extraterrestrials maybe.
Or (and this is more likely)...one of those brain eating zombies got 'em. Ask yourself,
if you were a living-dead zombie-walking-corpse looking for brains to nosh,
why look further than Steptoe fans, because...Wrinkles add flavour!
Now there's a sales slogan worthy of Wardour Street.
snodge wrote:...you sound a top geezer...

:shock: ...erm, I hope you're not chatting me up mate.
Nevertheless, let's please not forget Julian and Sandy
and Keep Britain Bona https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_w8qa2sMMQ :o.

* Turns out it wasn't Pot Black and I've forgotten which review he mentioned now.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi Doy,
No i wasn't flirting with you by implying you was a Top Geezer LOL I lurrrv the ladies I'm afraid...
(thats a funny expression" I'm afraid" ?)

I wasn't talking about minor edits or gramma but major re-writes! I know ideas can evolve and subjects can take U-turns but
its difficult to reply to a post (for me) if the goal posts are on the move, Like getting on a moving bus lol

BTW check out Rupert Sheldrake if you haven't already heard of the chap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtgLklXZo3U

He talks about a idea called `Morphic resonance` the idea everything is connected by morphic fields,Quite a intriguing concept and worthy of consideration, he gets a lot of flak from his distractors and sometimes downright lies,he did some tests on dogs that know when their owners are coming home and another skeptical distractor tried to replicate the tests and was disingenuous with his results, Its plain to see who is the gulty party if you read about their tests online!

will post more later.....
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:56 pm

snodge wrote:Hi Doy, No i wasn't flirting with you...

:shock: "You wait till you're asked, cheeky" -Frankie Howerd.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Uncle Nobby » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello Dirty Old Yank & Snodge.

I still lurk about and have a peek at the site every now and then to see if anything new has been posted.

Until next time...
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby snodge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Good to meet you Uncle Nobby :)

I was a lurker for quite a while before i joined and started posting etc, I'm not a avid user or poster in other forums
on the web but joined this one to share my Steptoe video restorations and then the forum activity started dwindling so i fully take the blame Lol

Regard Snodge
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:Hello Dirty Old Yank & Snodge. I still lurk about and have a peek at the site
every now and then to see if anything new has been posted. Until next time...

Hi Nobby, I know you still post occasionally and didn’t mean to imply you
weren’t around any longer. Was just continuing an ongoing joke with Snodge.
snodge wrote:I wasn't talking about minor edits or gramma but major re-writes! I know ideas can evolve and subjects can take U-turns but its difficult to reply to a post (for me) if the goal posts are on the move, Like getting on a moving bus lol
Hi Snodge, your distaste for edits/rewrites is a little peculiar but hey ho, I can't stand mushrooms, go figure.
This may help to explain why I sometimes edit/rewrite. You may recall, or at least you’ve implied you will,
my post on the previous page where I mentioned quantum non-locality and the precognition of animals.
I chose to delete that part of the post because the subject is too painful, having recently lost my closest
friend, my cat, to shockingly irresponsible veterinary malpractice…by not one, but two different clinics.
I’m not ignorant enough to believe that humans are superior to animals, and the reprehensible behavior
of the schmuck “professionals” in those clinics is proof of that. I’ve adopted again and she’s a dear, a tortie
and we’ve become quite close. But I’ll never again trust a physician of any sort, having recently been a victim
of multiple medical malpractices myself. So I chose to delete that portion of my comments, about half the post.
Hope this helps to alleviate what I believe to be misplaced concerns. Thanks for mentioning Rupert Sheldrake's
'morphic resonance', will check it out soon. Getting on a moving bus is half the fun of public transportation! :o
Seriously, if my posts appear amorphous and shape shifting it must make the place look haunted :shock:
So in future I'll try to avoid the kind of changes I think you're describing, no worries :).
More about getting on moving buses another time, it can be great fun.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi Doy,
Re my " Distaste for edits/rewrites, when i reply to your post i constuct what i want to say in a text document (if its a long reply) just in case it doesn't get posted or something goes wrong and the webpage self distructs-Which isn't that uncommon with forums etc, So when i go to post my reply doesn't make sense if you have altered your post in any major way.

Its no problem really.. i will just wait a bit longer before replying in case its changed, say like a year or so?... /Lol

good to hear you've adopted a new feline friend, I have 3 Cats, a maine-coon,Tortie , a domestic moggie and a Yorshire Terrier, They keep my spirits up through my long depressed phases and illness,wonderful sentient companions who know when I'm ill
and fuss after me.

The Main-coon just turned up one day in our garden and wouldn't leave,We made a makeshift home in the garden for him under our gazebo and fed him etc, he gradually became a new tenant in the house and we got him checked out at the Vets and had him chipped.
Sadly the checks revealed he has that Feline FIV Virus so we keep a special eye on him and keep him as healthy as possible.

Care to share happened with the veterinary malpractices if you feel up to it?,I quite understand what it means to you and i dread the day i lose any of my furry friends.

Speak soon

Snodge
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:12 pm

snodge wrote:Hi Doy...I have 3 Cats...and a Yorkshire Terrier...wonderful sentient companions who know when I'm ill
and fuss after me. Care to share happened with the veterinary malpractices if you feel up to it?
I quite understand what it means to you and i dread the day i lose any of my furry friends.

Hi Snodge,
You’ve written that animals are sentient…and that’s key, innit.
It’s never been a test of friendship but when people don’t or won’t comprehend that elementary, easily observable fact…that animals are sentient...at that point I find more productive ways to spend my time, rather than chat with
the willfully ignorant. There is of course a flipside to that coin, Veganism (among other examples) is excellent in principle but sometimes is practiced by opportunists who are more concerned with pontificating to others and
not the welfare of pets let alone the global ecosphere on the eve of humanity’s extinction event. I'll wager
you've already guessed that I’m not an extremist on any subject…unless it’s mushrooms. Please don’t
misunderstand me, I’m not a mycophobe, they’re fascinating and the history of their consumption
was a subject of personal study for some time…but why would anybody actually eat something
that grows on dung and mirrors its namesake: Toad Stool, ewww. Yes I’m sidestepping your
question about veterinary malpractice…gimme till later to slowly creep up on it…as both
our many cats would. More to share later, but strong coffee first, we're all fed up with
weak PG Tips. Although, your Supreme Court wasn't “weak” yesterday, a brilliant
and unanimous decision and WELL DONE. All of us Steptoe fans worldwide have
been watching events in the UK closely...and for your Supreme Court to take
such a deliberately conspicuous and inarguably correct stance in the face
of encroaching global fascism, isn’t just an echo, it’s quite literally historic!!
Your Highest Court has emphatically stated that jurisprudence still exists in the UK.
There's no question that Harold and Albert Steptoe, would both be dancing to celebrate.
Awkwardly at first...a few embarrassing missteps...but on the same tack at last,
even if the milkman wants his empties rinsed and who could blame him :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:24 pm

snodge wrote:Hi Doy...Care to share happened with the veterinary malpractices if you feel up to it?
I quite understand what it means to you and i dread the day i lose any of my furry friends.

Hi Snodge...you've 3 cats & a dog, bless :o.
I’ve been fortunate enough to raise and/or look after many different species. But the dogs & cats I raised from birth, we became very good friends and they grew up astonishingly intelligent, precisely because I don’t treat animals
as inferiors. Talking with (not at) animals without condescension helps a lot too....Dr Dolittle isn’t a fantasy
figure, he’s a role model. But needless to say this necessitates patience and most especially the time to
spend seriously focusing on communication with ‘pets’, which most folks are disinclined to indulge
whether they have the time or not. There’s probably not much I can tell you about veterinary
medicine and recommended precautions that you don’t know already. As Archie pointed
out years ago, pet health insurance can be had, it saved him & Snowy lots o’ dosh...
http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2565.
If something goes wonky, get a second opinion and try to make sure the physicians don’t know each other.
Because, on this side of the pond anyway, veterinary practice is big business and irregularities can be regional.
This is key: MRI's can be had for pets, insist on one! And microchips are essential, nobody wants a studded
leather collar around their throat….unless it’s a fashion statement. I’ll always love Punk music and all that
mad gear is still fun, but the tattoo trend got seriously out of control. Thanks to punk, everybody has
tatts now, as if it were a prerequisite to individuality. We’re not here to judge, but as a mate
recently said, "Why would I get permanent tattoo when I can’t even decide on a sofa?”
Words of wisdom Lloyd, words of wisdom 8).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:45 pm

snodge wrote:Care to share happened...if you feel up to it?

Lastly, and with this I need to change the subject...
This may seem obvious but it’s of paramount importance: Be absolutely
certain you have the necessary psycho-social support systems already in
place before things go wonky, should you & pet(s) fall ill at the same time.
That means more than one veterinary physician whom you’ve spoken with
and vetted personally (internet reviews invariably mislead) and sane friends
with an automobile whom you trust and share your mindset, compassion and
basic concerns. I hope you never have to witness euthanasia mate, it’s better to
be by their side but it can shatter your psyche. Be warned, veterinary techniques
vary dramatically and some are cruel beyond comprehension. If possible, better
to allow a furry mate to pass on at home as nature intended, rather than in a
creepy environment our friends don’t recognize and terrifies them...solely
because some berk with £ signs where their eyes once were and plaques
on the wall boasting of their education, with faux-authority claim, that
“it’s the right thing to do”….to end a life needlessly and prematurely.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Doy,
Sadly i have had to witness euthanasia a few times over the years with various pets, It never gets easier and each time i promise i will never have another pet so i don't have to go through with the emotions again,and then life happens and another furry animal decides it wants you as their owner.

We are pretty lucky as regards vets as my daughter works for a veterinary practice and gets staff discounts and gets to know which vets are the good ones, Really handy indeed.

One day i heard a scratching at our front door and went and opened it to find this small kitten waltz in staight up to our cat bowls
and make itself at home! We checked to see if it had a chip- and locally if anyone was missing a cat etc, we couldn't really home another animal so my daughter took it to work where it was rehomed,they called him "Cedric" :).

I don't think I've told you this account before so apologies if i have...

One day my wife and two daughters were watching tv in our living room ( i was at my pc next to them) and suddenly my wife and daughters all in unison shouted " Wow! look at that!... I turned around and asked whats the matter and in garbled breaths my wife and daughters explained what had happened.

They said they saw a brown cats tail snake around and disappear underneath our living room curtains,I jumped at immediately and went over to the locked window and couldn't find any animal or cause,our two cats (at that time) were out in the garden-I could see my two cats through the living room window in the garden -so it wasn't them.

My wife and daughters hadn't had time to discuss and alter and inflence each others accounts,thye all saw the same thing at the same time and i still cannot debunk or explain what they saw, I was too late in turning around and missed what they saw.

it definately wasn't a prank by them as they really dont like anything connected with the paranormal and aren't the types to play gags on me.

I attach a link of a picture of my living room so you can see the layout and the window

You can see my computer to the left (where i was stting and working on another Steptoe restoration :)) and the 3 girls were stting at the sofa on the left.

I found the whole affair amazing and difficult to explain and i can't believe 3 people could hallucinate the same thing at the same time.
We don't have mice and they definately saw a brown cats paw about 7 inches or so move about and disapear under the curtain.

Snodge
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 am

I hadn’t forgotten you’re married Snodge, so it was a safe bet you’d get the “top” geezer/chatting me up joke.
Seems bizarre, but lots of folks over here don’t know what that means. You alluded to the cat’s paw last year
but hadn’t told the tale yet, thanks for telling it. It’s not unusual (enter Tom Jones) to see absent friends, or
rather, our loved ones whom the ego tells us are absent. I’ve experienced the same thing as has my mate,
the fella that doesn’t want a tattoo and no his name isn’t Lloyd....that was a Kubrick’s Shining reference.
You probably know more about this stuff than I do, but my rudimentary understanding of quantum non-locality (enter Schrödinger, Einstein & Bell) is that when particles are born, though they travel apart at the speed of light,
they remain connected. So, objects in the perceivable universe that appear separate, are in fact connected, which
in part helps explain our ability to see events at great distances, psychic abilities, seeing the past and future, etc.
All of this has been demonstrated theoretically, experimentally, has long been accepted Science, not superstition, and may make misnomers of words like “supernatural” and “paranormal,” phenomena that shouldn't alarm people.
It’s becoming increasingly apparent that we’re on the same page with these topics, so I hope my comments didn’t appear longwinded. Perhaps some of the many thousands of forum peekers* with pets will glean something useful. Very fortunate indeed, that your daughter works in a vet clinic and Cedric is a terrific name! If I were to name my cat after a Shakespearian actor, Hardwicke wouldn’t be my first choice but my new flat mate is female, as all Torties are, so I’ve named her Love. No need for multisyllabic handles here, cats are apt to see through that façade 8).
If cats had opposable thumbs and tin openers...a lot lower on the food chain we'd all be :o.
...They'd be going on dates and asking to borrow the car, tsk. Cats these days.

* I thought voyeurism was banned in Britain, but apparently, this is “consensual voyeurism” :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:13 pm

If cats had opposable thumbs and tin openers...a lot lower on the food chain we'd all be

Excellent quote and post Doy,
I forgot to mention that about a year before the cats paw appearence this poorly brown Maine Coon
started sleeping in our garden,its left eye looked real bad and cloudy and weepy, We called in Ceila Hammonds
emergency animal service and She took away the cat and found it had cancer in that eye and operated and removed the eye.

As far as we know the cat survived and was rehomed so maybe the cat returned to thank us with a flash of his tail.

Ceila Hammond if you dont know used to be a famous model in the 60's, she has devoted her life to cats and works tirelessly
to help them etc..

Then a year after the cat paw business another brown Maine Coon turned up in the garden, I reckon this one was from the same family and was his brother, he was in poor shape and had a wonky hip out of alignment,it looked like he had been hit by a car
so Ceila Hammond took him away and fixed him up real good, She rang me and said would i like to adopt him and it didn't take much for me to agree :)

Anyway enough about cats me thinks as i didn't want to derail the whole post with my furry forteans.

Snodge
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:50 am

Happy (belated) Birthday greetings Snodge :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y1jL-1KtWo.
If you haven’t seen these brilliant animated shorts, they’re hilarious and
often are very accurate depictions of our relationships with feline
flat mates. There’s lots of ‘em at youchoobe…“Simon's Cat”.
This one is fun, "Cat-Man-Do" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbtJkupF3SE.

So, that's your living room eh?
Easy to spot where the cats damaged the blinds, bless :wink:.
The women of the house should enjoy this joke....
Q: How many men does it take to paper the living room?
A: It depends on how thin you slice them :lol:.
...needs not saying that any bloke who doesn't laugh at that joke and hasn't
heard it before, probably has a promising future in proselytizing and/or politics :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Video and Audio