Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe DVD query

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe DVD query

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi, does anyone think there will ever be a remastered box set of our fav series esp done in the newish `Vidfired` technique, like to think so one day, the boxset we have now is great to have complete but lots of the early eps need cleaning up a bit don`t they!
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Re: Steptoe DVD query

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:19 pm

BLAKESCREWE wrote:Hi, does anyone think there will ever be a remastered box set of our fav series esp done in the newish `Vidfired` technique, like to think so one day, the boxset we have now is great to have complete but lots of the early eps need cleaning up a bit don`t they!

Unfortunately not. If you want that, then dare I say, like me, you'll have to do-it-yourself - and then possibly share it/them around... to those that appreciate such things...

The quality of most of those the BBC have in there archive, is of very poor quality, making restoration in most cases, pretty pointless (for them, at least).

Although, if they'd be willing to run me off dubs in RAW format (of whatever type - I'm not fussy), then I'd be willing to do the lot for NOTHING!

That'll never happen, though, guys and gals... As the offer's been out there for ages, and they've not yet felt the need to make contact...

BTW, the clean-up of the episodes would need to be spotless and as stable as possible before VidFIRE is attempted, otherwise the VidFIRE would be pretty unbelievable (in a BAD way).
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 pm

`Those Magnificent men ...`EP needs some serious work on it, always looks very a distorted picture esp to me , don`t know what others think but its need cleaning up a lot!
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:00 am

BLAKESCREWE wrote:`Those Magnificent men ...`EP needs some serious work on it, always looks very a distorted picture esp to me , don`t know what others think but its need cleaning up a lot!

Just taken a look at this particular episode, and it's better then I thought, condition wise.

I have a recording I did back in the 1990's, taken off-air at the time of broadcast, from BBC2 and it's on Super-VHS tape. Now, you may think, this would be worse than the copy that's on the commercially available DVD set, but it isn't, trust me...

What I have, has never been compressed (unlike those MPEG files on the DVDs), so will be a far better option for me, then using what's on the DVD for the restoration.

However, as I don't currently have my Mac Pro up and running at the moment (and that has the kit/hardware in it, to do the RAW dub from the tape in uncompressed format, I'll be using what's on the DVD as a tester...

Once finished, I shall make a new topic and stick the links in there...

So, hold tight... It'll be coming real soon...
Last edited by The Pixel Surgeon on Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:14 pm

The sad fact is while we buy the below par ones, there is no reason to spend any money on them. Same as the colour ones. I also think embarrassment lies on the BBC's part, as when they remastered "Fawlty Towers" or "Blackadder" that was fine, they were the saviours, "look, these are old and now we have made them look all pretty!". But with Steptoe it is a case of "We were stupid enough to lose these. We were not clever enough to find the ones we lost and had to ask some blokes with video recorders if they had them. Now we're going to show you just how stupid we actually are..." if they look crap, it's less embarrassing for them ha ha!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 am

Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines - Fully Restored, is here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2387

Enjoy...!
The Pixel Surgeon

Return to Video and Audio