Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines RESTORED!!!

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines RESTORED!!!

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:33 am

Steptoe and Son (S04E03) Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines (BBC) 18-10-1965 (Restored VidFIRE[D]

This was rather muckey... but after a day or so of graft, I think it now looks decent...

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Directly below, are 2 short video clips of both the BEFORE and AFTER, which shows you what the differences are... It features the opening titles and the first scene:

SAS_1_BEFORE_SAMPLE.mpg and SAS_2_AFTER_SAMPLE.mpg:
http://we.tl/LTLm5bFi2O

Could've definitely ended up with something better, if time had been on my side...

This no longer feels like it was made in the mid-sixties... Feels more like a 70's episode to me, now it's been restored - despite it being in black and white... That's one of the major plus points of the VidFIRE process - as it gives material that was originally made on video its video-look/feel back...

The main video file is archived within the below 2 WinRAR files. It's an ISO image in there, so all you need to do, is burn it off to a DVD, and then pop it in your DVD player!

Steptoe and Son (S04E03) Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines (BBC) 18-10-1965 (Restored VidFIRE[D] 7800kbps CBR PCM)

1. SAS_RESTORED.part1.rar:
http://we.tl/T8g9ZLA7UM
2. SAS_RESTORED.part2.rar:
http://we.tl/NOm0IGKbjl

The WinRAR password is: Just4YouT00

This, as-per-usual, for my files/uploads, needs to be watched back on something that'll display interlaced video, or one of the main reasons for the restoration (the VidFIRE), will be lost.

See below, for more details on what you need to do...:

Tip:

If you're not going to watch this back on a proper CRT TV (remember those...), then use the following media player and settings:

VLC media player is an ideal candidate, if you plan to watch this back on an LCD or LED flat screen computer monitor.

Available here for Windows: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Or here for Mac OS X: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Once installed, and the video is playing back, hit Pause, then go up to the Menu > Video and change the following two default settings:

1. Video > Deinterlace > On
2. Video > Deinterlace mode > Linear or Yadif (2x)

Once those are set, then hit Play...

Enjoy...!
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Re: Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines RESTORE

Postby Eddie79 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:37 pm

Delighted with these restored episodes, absolutely sensational work. Thanks very much TPS, please continue with them!!

Any chance of a reupload of this episode please..? It's one of my favourites, but I don't see it on Demonoid.

Cheers if you can help.
Eddie79

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:11 pm

All these "restored" versions look much better than the originals, but considering the poor quality of many of the originals, they could hardly be worse. Damn the BBC for wiping their tapes. Now let's see you colorize them. LoL!
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:28 pm

Eddie79 wrote:Delighted with these restored episodes, absolutely sensational work. Thanks very much TPS, please continue with them!!

Any chance of a reupload of this episode please..? It's one of my favourites, but I don't see it on Demonoid.

Cheers if you can help.

Steptoe and Son (S04E03) Those Magnificent Men and Their Heating Machines (BBC) 2014 RESTORED - VidFIRE(D) (7800kbps CBR PCM)

It now up here: http://we.tl/TFUwTQ2v4b (But it'll only remain there, until the 13th April 2015!!!)

NOTE: The reason I didn't share this more widely, was due to me not being overly happy with the final restoration (and so was mostly for my own consumption).

However, as it doesn't look like I'm going to redo it anytime soon, thought you hardened Steptoe fans out there, should be able to see it (despite my feelings about it...).

BTW, It's an ISO image file, so will need to be burned off to a DVD. (PowerISO will be your friend to help you do that - Just Google it, if you have no idea what I'm talking about...)

Enjoy!
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Eddie79 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:29 am

Regrettably, I missed the re-upload of this, but thanks a lot for doing it :)!

Is there any chance of your excellent Demonoid uploads being reseeded? They seem to have stopped.

I got quite a few of them - Steptoes, TDUDP, Face to Face etc. - and have watched with great enjoyment, but there are many more I'd love too. HHH for instance. Didn't get any of them.

I promise I'll keep checking back this time.

Thanks again! Fantastic work.
Eddie79

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 am

Eddie79 wrote:Regrettably, I missed the re-upload of this, but thanks a lot for doing it :)!

Is there any chance of your excellent Demonoid uploads being reseeded? They seem to have stopped.

I got quite a few of them - Steptoes, TDUDP, Face to Face etc. - and have watched with great enjoyment, but there are many more I'd love too. HHH for instance. Didn't get any of them.

I promise I'll keep checking back this time.

Thanks again! Fantastic work.

I'll put Hancock's Half Hour (S03E10) How to Win Money and Influence People (BBC) 2014 RESTORED - VidFIRE(D) (7800kbps CBR AC3) up on WeTransfer for you (and anyone else that cares to download it...).

You'll know it's up and ready to download, as I'll make a new topic under Video and Audio with it in the title...

Best,

Last edited by The Pixel Surgeon on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Eddie79 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks a lot :D !
Eddie79

Return to Video and Audio