Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Is That Your Horse Outside(VF)

If you have any links to Steptoe Videos or audion that would be of interest to other fans please post them here. Please only post a link. The forum does not have the capacity to store actual video or audio clips.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Is That Your Horse Outside(VF)

Postby alexcole » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Steptoe & Son is that your horse outside ? sample clip cleaned & vidfired

mediafire.com/file/o4d61qd3v1n4hn1/step.mpg
alexcole

Re: Is That Your Horse Outside(VF)

Postby snodge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:01 am

Hello Alex,
Really good effort on this particular episode as the original is besieged with phase errors/scan-line artifacts and just plain horrible to watch, Can you upload your whole restored version as that would be wonderful to watch.

I reworked this episode last year and seem to recall it was hard slog trying to retain the pitiful detail especially on the opening sequence, thanks for giving your time and skill to improve these important recordings as apart from you and Pixelsurgeon and me no-one else seems to care.
snodge

Postby alexcole » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks

I do have the whole episode Vidfired but i want to red-do it again when i get more time
the start of the ep is pretty bad and in general the telerecording it came from must have been in poor shape.

would like to see either yourself or pixelguy have a go on this ep
alexcole

Postby snodge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

I did do that episode last year (but as what happens with most restorers)
when we re-look at it we see stuff we could improve on :)

so i will revisit it at some point.
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:02 pm

snodge wrote:...thanks for giving your time and skill to improve these important recordings as apart from you and Pixelsurgeon and me no-one else seems to care.

Actually there's been an enormous amount of forum interest over the years in episode restoration, and not just Steptoe either. Just a rough estimate, but you’ll find over 132 posts and nearly 39,000 views regarding restoration in the Video and Audio topics alone. And that doesn’t include Ron’s old Steptoe site, former home to the Steptoe Appreciation Society. Coincidentally, I asked Pixel about this same 1963 episode days ago in his “Meet The Wife (Journey Home)” thread. Participation in social media is dropping off everywhere, not just here so any perceived
‘lack of concern’ with restoration in this case is probably subjective and might be worth considering.
And once again, welcome to the forum both.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby snodge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Hello DOY and good to meet you :)
I was aiming my perception at " lack of Concern" at the infamous BBC (who as everyone knows) has
treated the Steptoe recordings in a appalling manner over the years.
And over the years i haven't met too many people taking the time to actually restore these episodes.

I believe the BFI worked on some lost episodes that this society tracked down and returned.

Sure i know fans do really care about the condition of these episodes but there doesn't seem to be many people
spending weeks working on these gems- suffering tendonitis and RSI into the bargain :)

You only have to look at the whole DR Who restoration saga to see it was actual fans who restored some of the episodes rather than the BBC etc.

Regards
Snodge
snodge

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:38 am

snodge wrote:I was aiming my perception at " lack of Concern" at the infamous BBC (who as everyone knows) has treated the Steptoe recordings in a appalling manner over the years.

Hello Snodge, good to meet you too and I stand corrected :).
We've become so accustomed to the subject of BBC thoughtlessly wiping irreplaceable tapes documenting genius performances, that I mistakenly assumed you meant a shortage of folks responding to your posts. As mentioned to Pixel in another thread, businessmen shouldn’t be permitted anywhere near art because they’re cut of an entirely different cloth, as clearly evidenced by the litany of brilliant shows BBC blithely destroyed ostensibly * to save a bit of dosh, if memory serves the tapes were 90 quid. Most of Spike’s Q series gone; most colour Steptoe episodes gone, apparently BBC has a lost episode but won’t broadcast it; they very nearly wiped Monty Python, Terry Jones bought the tapes thus saving them; Cook & Moore's Not Only...But Also was wiped; the list goes on and on. But I guess my comments were also a reflection of my own disappointment, and concern for those forum regulars that have gone missing, most recently Ilovesteptoe who is a good friend and very funny guy. Hope he returns soon!!
snodge wrote:...doesn't seem to be many people spending weeks working on these gems- suffering tendonitis and RSI into the bargain :)

Now you can add eyestrain to restoration occupational hazards, my posts are so long :shock:.
* The ‘logic’ motivating such irrational decisions is another tin o’ worms entirely.
...or should that be asparagus tips & uncooked snails :wink:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:37 pm

alexcole wrote:Steptoe & Son is that your horse outside ? sample clip cleaned & vidfired

mediafire.com/file/o4d61qd3v1n4hn1/step.mpg

I used the same clip, for my restoration - Thanks to our other friend, here, on the board...

Is That Your Horse Outside (BBC) 2017 - RESTORED - VidFIRE(D) (7800kbps CBR PCM)

we.tl/2YlvidzSDx

Is That Your Horse Outside (BBC) 2017 - RESTORED - VidFIRE(D) (7800kbps CBR PCM) (CON +10)

we.tl/CBOVsRnaIZ (Contrast upped 10%, on this version of the file...)

My eyes aren't what they used to be... No sharpening added to either, but could possibly do with a bit...

Spend more time. you inevitably get better results... Just wish I had more time, sometimes...

Looks fine on my CRT - but almost certainly, won't look as good, on any type of flat panel/screen TV...
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Is That Your Horse Outside (BBC) SAMPLE - NOT RESTORED

we.tl/tpRUNd5xHN

Just in case, anyone else wants to have a go...
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby snodge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Digitally Cleaned in full

Is that Your Horse Outside?
mediafire.com/file/c3jm22ybu87u14y/Is%20That%20Your%20Horse%20Outside%20%28Digitally%20Cleaned%202017%29%20MP4.mp4

I've probably missed a few spots and defects here as i spent way too much time on that section @8.17
where there is a heavy vertical scratch flapping about like a Dick in a shirtsleeve :)

I also spent a long time cleaning up the dirty lined transitions where they fade from one scene to the next.

I compromised on the Vidifre using my own interpolation method so i could encode to MP4 (progressive)

Hopefully its up to Pixelsurgeons/Alexcoles fine efforts and i hope DOY likes it :)

I`m still working on " Homes Fit For heroes" and have to work on it in 5 minute segments to keep my sanity!

The Tramlines vary in size and amount from scene to scene ..so its gonna be a toughie

Here's where I`m at so far (about 4 mins in)

mediafire.com/file/d8alfllq5ng2390/Home%20Fit%20For%20Heroes%20Sample.mp4

Its a split screen sample to show how it might turn out, The cleaned up side is a little softer but thats inevitable with what has to be done to sort out the defects -plus the low bit rate Mpeg2 source file doesn't help matters.
snodge

Postby alexcole » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm

very nice work on both episodes snodge. homes for heroes is especially well done. you have cleaned it up nicely and also
got that VT look to it ...i think you will be the go to guy for me from now on....
alexcole

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

snodge wrote:Digitally Cleaned in full

mediafire.com/file/c3jm22ybu87u14y/Is%20That%20Your%20Horse%20Outside%20%28Digitally%20Cleaned%202017%29%20MP4.mp4

I've probably missed a few spots and defects here as i spent way too much time on that section @8.17
where there is a heavy vertical scratch flapping about like a Dick in a shirtsleeve :)

I also spent a long time cleaning up the dirty lined transitions where they fade from one scene to the next.

I compromised on the Vidifre using my own interpolation method so i could encode to MP4 (progressive)

Hopefully its up to Pixelsurgeons/Alexcoles fine efforts and i hope DOY likes it :)

Will download and take a look...

I've started to restore the whole thing, myself. Not sure when It'll be finished, though, as I'm doing other things, alongside...

Sure yours will look great, probably, the best it has ever looked...

snodge wrote:[I`m still working on " Homes Fit For heroes" and have to work on it in 5 minute segments to keep my sanity!

The Tramlines vary in size and amount from scene to scene ..so its gonna be a toughie

Here's where I`m at so far (about 4 mins in)

mediafire.com/file/d8alfllq5ng2390/Home%20Fit%20For%20Heroes%20Sample.mp4

Its a split screen sample to show how it might turn out, The cleaned up side is a little softer but thats inevitable with what has to be done to sort out the defects -plus the low bit rate Mpeg2 source file doesn't help matters.

A great effort, and again, almost certainly, the best this has ever looked. Please do continue with it, as it would be nice, to finally have this, all the way through, fully restored - especially as it is, one of the episodes, in the series, in desperate need of restoration...

My Old Man's a Tory... Well, there's almost no hope for that...
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:22 pm

snodge wrote:Digitally Cleaned in full

Just taken a look at the first 15mins...

Brilliant job... I certainly would be happy with this - and wouldn't personally bother, to restore it myself... ;-)
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby snodge » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks very much as that's a fine accolade coming from someone like yourself with your restoration skill-sets.

I'll continue with " Home's Fit for Hero's and pray my wrist muscle's hold out :)
snodge

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 pm

snodge wrote:Thanks very much as that's a fine accolade coming from someone like yourself with your restoration skill-sets.

I'll continue with " Home's Fit for Hero's and pray my wrist muscle's hold out :)

I know my restoration of that same episode, that I was currently undertaking, wasn't looking as good as yours, so I ditched it.

With a little more work, on yours, it would be the definitive version of that episode, ever - nothing better out there, at all.

I urge you, if you still have what came before your final output, to revisit it, and just tidy up those frames you missed - of which, there are very few (it would then, be portfolio material). If you decide not to bother - and I wouldn't blame you - what you've done with it already, in my books, still makes it the best that's out there...

Looking forward to your final version of Homes Fit for Heroes... Something I always meant to do, but due to the amount of manual work, and my failing eyesight, I'll probably never get around to attempting...

Just happy, that's there's someone else, you, restoring and sharing your work... ;-)
The Pixel Surgeon

Next

Return to Video and Audio