Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The last DVD's you bought...

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The last DVD's you bought...

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Just bought the complete series of Columbo. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Just obtained the new, Til Death Do Us part boxset. Has some rediscovered lost presumed wiped by the BBC episodes in b&w from the 1960s( now there's a surprise, not) and has also all the seventies colour shows included in one big box set. Heaven, although a tad racist in some aspects. :shock:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 am

Found some outstanding charity shop DVD’s recently and can heartily recommend them all.
I first saw these 2 dystopic, influential sci-fi classics in their original theatrical release...
"Silent Running" (1971, stars Bruce Dern).
"The Andromeda Strain" (1971).
Some excellent dramas too...
"Blow Up" (1966, directed by Antonioni).
"Longford" (2007, stars Jim Broadbent and Samantha Morton).
"The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" (2005, directed by and stars Tommy Lee Jones).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:11 am

Thank goodness for our local charity shop.
All the corporate video shop chains were ignorantly and greedily mismanaged to extinction.

"Winchell" (2006, 108 min). Recommended!
Clearly a very heavily sanitized version of history which might seem inevitable, as a movie made for television there’s only so much director Paul Mazursky could fit in. I was surprised though that Winchell’s ill advised and unwarranted decision to attack nationally beloved, widely respected Tonight Show host Jack Paar wasn’t included, because it could be argued that truly precipitated the end of Winchell’s career. But for those that don’t know who Walter Winchell was, it’s an entertaining introduction with excellent performances by Stanley Tucci, Paul Giamatti and actress Glenne Headly. She passed on recently, sorry to say.
Coincidentally, television’s Jack Parr once showed an episode (excerpts?) of Steptoe and Son on his nationally broadcast Tonight Show. He described it as the best sitcom he’d ever seen and Paar was never one to exaggerate. As a child, like Ray and Alan, Paar had tuberculosis. Self educated, articulate, unprejudiced and hugely funny, no wonder the country adored Jack. For those folks interested in learning more about Paar and the history of television, there’s an outstanding documentary, very highly recommended, “Jack Paar: As I Was Saying...” (1997, 120 min).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Chit Chat