Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The last DVD's you bought...

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The last DVD's you bought...

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I'm awaiting an eye test. Always joked with my brother how he wore glasses, now I'm in the frame for a pair...
Re Ash vs The Evil Dead: The part with the pesky face eating doll was hilarious lol.
Re: Shakes the Clown (1991). Sounds brilliant.

Re: eyesight & spectacles, I realize your vision issues are different than common short vs farsightedness, but you might want to try the Bates method, it could help. British author/philosopher Aldous Huxley was effectually blind but the Bates method literally gave him his sight back, as Huxley described in his book “The Art of Seeing” (1942). More of an extended essay really, it’s so brief, but The Art of Seeing is still in print. I’ve got an antique hardcover edition of Bates’ book but his slim volume “The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses” (1920) is now public domain and can be downloaded free as a pdf @ http://www.seeing.org/. I’ve seen a lot of ophthalmologists, optometrists and opticians since I was a kid, and I usually ask if they’ve heard of the Bates method. None of them had, illustrating how specialization/departmentalization of medical study tends to lock practitioners in a box where only the latest technological advances (i.e. what they were trained to do) are worthy of note. Google ‘Bates method’ and you’ll find it described as “controversial”, which is patently and demonstrably false. Example, the commonly accepted cliche is that with advancing age vision grows weaker, yet mine has improved markedly. So Bates might
be worth a go, hope it helps. And when choosing frames, don't let anybody rush you, take all the time you need to find something comfortable that you'll be happy with. Your brother wears glasses, he’ll tell you the same thing :).
Re: “Ash vs Evil Dead”, I’m usually annoyed by CGI because seeing something that’s impossible and/or defies physics takes you right out of the movie. Practical effects are ALWAYS better but that tiny kids doll attacking
Bruce Campbell was pretty funny, screaming madly “Grrrrr, Little Lori hate you!!” :lol:.
Re: “Shakes the Clown”, Martin Scorsese really liked Shakes, nuff said. If published ‘professional critics’ think themselves better qualified than Scorsese to judge a movie, whatever. If you decide to get the 2017 DVD and I hope you do, be certain it has the new commentary track with Bobcat, Julie Brown and Tom Kenny. For me, a really good commentary doubles the enjoyment and value of a DVD and this is one of the laugh-out-loud funniest I’ve ever heard. For 3 quid, that’s a bargain!! :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Bates method

Thanks DOY for concern shown and info in that link provided. Very interesting reading it was. Yeah, it's only been a few months since I noticed changes in my vision. It's of a pain as my eyesight was 20/20 until few months ago. I know as highlighted that any loss of vision is often due to age, but also illness too as you are aware. Wonder what my prognosis will be? Also, will I look like the Nutty Professor with glasses lol. :lol:

Re: Bruce Campbell Yeah, that doll kicking ashes butt in Ash vs The Evil Dead was a scene stealer. I can see that doll having its own series lol. Campbell could slice a piece of cheddar in twain with his dry wit lol. :P

Re Shakes the Clown DVD: Hopefully will source a copy very soon. As you know with my collectibles buying, have been whacking the hell out of my debit card recently, so have put it on an intravenous drip lol. My most recent purchase flatlined it, with the complete season 1 to 7 of Tales of the Crypt (new). Always wanted to add that to my collection, so pushed the boat out. Pity it nearly sank. It was a bargain too at £38.99 freepost. Basically, £5.50-ish a season. Not bad, if I don't blow my own trumpet. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...will I look like the Nutty Professor with glasses lol. :lol:

Hey, don’t knock it :wink:.
Buddy Holly wore black horn-rim glasses too and he was the coolest thing around. Could be worse, with my
spectacles on I look like a myopic Larry Storch from that 60's sitcom “F Troop” :roll:. Storch did some novelty
7" comedy records including one called “8th Wonder of the World”, very rare but I’ve got it on tape, it’s hilarious. Coincidentally, comedian Larry Storch was in a kids show called “The Ghostbusters” that co-starred Bob Burns in a gorilla suit (Tracy) wearing a beenie with propeller on his head. Once again, all roads lead back to Bob & Kathy :o.

Found some comedy classics at the charity shop recently, including...
Howard Hawks “His Girl Friday” (1940, 117 min) with Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell and Ralph Bellamy.
The overlapping dialog is so fast, the script was clocked at 240 (?) words per minute :shock:.
Hilarious & highly recommended, even if it is public domain.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Bobcat Goldthwait’s comedy, “God Bless America” (DVD 2012, 105 min.)
Brilliantly written and performed, hilarious and prescient, very highly recommended!!
...And cheers Ilovesteptoe for mentioning the film (we miss you ILS.)
The scary bit about God Bless America isn’t the violence, which is comparatively quite tame.
Most frightening, is nothing whatsoever is exaggerated in the film. Human beings actually behave like that.
Yank television and radio programming really has become that infantile, a cliche metaphor which in this instance,
...is unfair to infants (tip o’ the hat to Groucho Marx.)
Reading the negative reviews of Bob Goldthwait’s movie, we’re immediately reminded of knee-jerk reactions to Python’s “Life of Brian” because, similarly, some people feel their belief systems aren’t just being satirized but attacked, which needless to say is preposterous. The director/actors commentary track is excellent too :D.

Also found some second hand Bogart & Bacall classics, every one of them a must see...“To Have and Have Not” (1944), “The Big Sleep” (1946), “Dark Passage” (1947), “Key Largo” (1948). And ”The Maltese Falcon” (1941), “Casablanca” (1942), “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre” (1948), “Beat the Devil” (1954).
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 02, 2018 4:08 pm

Darkest Hour” (2018, 125 min.)
Cinematic dramatizations of historical persons and events tend to suffer from inaccuracies and omissions that filmmakers typically excuse with "time constraints", there’s only so much one can fit into 2 hours.
And this film about Winston Churchill’s first month as PM is no exception.
What I find most disturbing about Darkest Hour is an end card that states, ostensibly authoritatively, quote:
“Almost all of the 300,000 troops at Dunkirk were carried home by Winston’s civilian fleet."
What that brief statement very conspicuously and irresponsibly fails to mention, is that along with the 300,000 British soldiers, there were 200,000 French soldiers on the beach at Dunkirk, half a million men. It also fails to mention the 300 French vessels that joined and assisted in the maritime evacuation. Also, of 300,000 British soldiers, only 200,000 made it home and that can hardly be said to be “almost all.”
130,000 French were also evacuated to England.
The 50,000 British and 40,000 French unable to embark were taken prisoner.
I’m no historian and while some of my facts might be a bit off, I'm pretty sure they’re fairly accurate.
Why weren't any of those essential facts included on that end card. What..."space constraints"? :roll:
George VI's stammering is almost completely absent too.
Otherwise it’s a good film, recommended.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:27 am

Lots of finds recently, remainder bin or discounted mostly...some terrific, others blindingly mediocre.
And predictably, the bigger the budget, the more likely a film will be a disaster.
But those I can recommend without hesitation include…

Bettie Page Reveals All” (2014, 101 min.) It’s impossible to overestimate 1950's pinup & bondage queen Bettie Page’s influence. With her disarming effervescence, she quite literally and seemingly effortlessly, comepletly
transformed the landscape of popular culture: fashion, art and attitudes. Narrated by Bettie herself, lots
of vintage footage, stills and key interviews. Arguably better and certainly more important than the
unauthorized 2006 dramatized biopic, “The Notorious Bettie Page.”
The African Queen” (1951, 105 min.) While this isn’t my favorite John Huston film per se, to critique
this classic would be absurd. For those who haven’t...be they young filmmakers or
just movie fans...African Queen is still a must see and always will be :).
Dom Hemingway” (2014, 93 min.) Better and possibly funnier than the average Cockney criminal
redemption story. Great fun to watch Jude Law run completely amok...
...we just wish he’d put his trousers back on :roll:.
Legend” (2016, 132 min.) One might think the subject had been played out long ago, but digital
technology enhances Tom Hardy's brilliant portrayal of both Ron & Reg Kray in this
interesting and engaging interpretation of events.

Honourable mention (with serious reservations) goes to...
Ash vs. Evil Dead” (2nd series, 2017). Hilarious and hugely entertaining horror splatter-soufflé 8).
But the depiction of main characters in such an enourmously popular series consuming lethal
doses of ketamine and pcp as if it were recreational and comedic, isn't just irresponsible,
that's reprehensible Class A stupidity on the part of the show creators/producers.
Otherwise the series is great fun...it's a shame they went off the rails there.
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Chit Chat