Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The last DVD's you bought...

Discuss anything you like.

Moderators: Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: The last DVD's you bought...

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I'm awaiting an eye test. Always joked with my brother how he wore glasses, now I'm in the frame for a pair...
Re Ash vs The Evil Dead: The part with the pesky face eating doll was hilarious lol.
Re: Shakes the Clown (1991). Sounds brilliant.

Re: eyesight & spectacles, I realize your vision issues are different than common short vs farsightedness, but you might want to try the Bates method, it could help. British author/philosopher Aldous Huxley was effectually blind but the Bates method literally gave him his sight back, as Huxley described in his book “The Art of Seeing” (1942). More of an extended essay really, it’s so brief, but The Art of Seeing is still in print. I’ve got an antique hardcover edition of Bates’ book but his slim volume “The Bates Method for Better Eyesight Without Glasses” (1920) is now public domain and can be downloaded free as a pdf @ http://www.seeing.org/. I’ve seen a lot of ophthalmologists, optometrists and opticians since I was a kid, and I usually ask if they’ve heard of the Bates method. None of them had, illustrating how specialization/departmentalization of medical study tends to lock practitioners in a box where only the latest technological advances (i.e. what they were trained to do) are worthy of note. Google ‘Bates method’ and you’ll find it described as “controversial”, which is patently and demonstrably false. Example, the commonly accepted cliche is that with advancing age vision grows weaker, yet mine has improved markedly. So Bates might
be worth a go, hope it helps. And when choosing frames, don't let anybody rush you, take all the time you need to find something comfortable that you'll be happy with. Your brother wears glasses, he’ll tell you the same thing :).
Re: “Ash vs Evil Dead”, I’m usually annoyed by CGI because seeing something that’s impossible and/or defies physics takes you right out of the movie. Practical effects are ALWAYS better but that tiny kids doll attacking
Bruce Campbell was pretty funny, screaming madly “Grrrrr, Little Lori hate you!!” :lol:.
Re: “Shakes the Clown”, Martin Scorsese really liked Shakes, nuff said. If published ‘professional critics’ think themselves better qualified than Scorsese to judge a movie, whatever. If you decide to get the 2017 DVD and I hope you do, be certain it has the new commentary track with Bobcat, Julie Brown and Tom Kenny. For me, a really good commentary doubles the enjoyment and value of a DVD and this is one of the laugh-out-loud funniest I’ve ever heard. For 3 quid, that’s a bargain!! :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

Bates method

Thanks DOY for concern shown and info in that link provided. Very interesting reading it was. Yeah, it's only been a few months since I noticed changes in my vision. It's of a pain as my eyesight was 20/20 until few months ago. I know as highlighted that any loss of vision is often due to age, but also illness too as you are aware. Wonder what my prognosis will be? Also, will I look like the Nutty Professor with glasses lol. :lol:

Re: Bruce Campbell Yeah, that doll kicking ashes butt in Ash vs The Evil Dead was a scene stealer. I can see that doll having its own series lol. Campbell could slice a piece of cheddar in twain with his dry wit lol. :P

Re Shakes the Clown DVD: Hopefully will source a copy very soon. As you know with my collectibles buying, have been whacking the hell out of my debit card recently, so have put it on an intravenous drip lol. My most recent purchase flatlined it, with the complete season 1 to 7 of Tales of the Crypt (new). Always wanted to add that to my collection, so pushed the boat out. Pity it nearly sank. It was a bargain too at £38.99 freepost. Basically, £5.50-ish a season. Not bad, if I don't blow my own trumpet. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:47 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...will I look like the Nutty Professor with glasses lol. :lol:

Hey, don’t knock it :wink:.
Buddy Holly wore black horn-rim glasses too and he was the coolest thing around, a real puller. Could be worse, with my glasses on I look like a myopic Larry Storch from that 60's sitcom “F Troop” :roll:. Storch did some novelty
7" comedy records including one called “8th Wonder of the World”, very rare but I’ve got it on tape, it’s hilarious. Coincidentally, comedian Larry Storch was in a kids show called “The Ghostbusters” that co-starred Bob Burns in a gorilla suit (Tracy) wearing a beenie with propeller on his head. Once again, all roads lead back to Bob & Kathy :o.

Found some comedy classics at the charity shop recently, including...
Howard Hawks “His Girl Friday” (1940, 117 min) with Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell and Ralph Bellamy.
The overlapping dialog is so fast, the script was clocked at 240 words per minute :shock:.
Hilarious & highly recommended 8).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to Chit Chat